advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt that you are right. Regrettably my self-discipline isn't what it should be. It isn't a matter of drinking for its own sake, it's simply that a supper of carefully prepared food seems woefully incomplete without two or three glasses of wine.

Absolutely agree.

I have no doubt that you are right. Regrettably my self-discipline isn't what it should be. It isn't a matter of drinking for its own sake, it's simply that a supper of carefully prepared food seems woefully incomplete without two or three glasses of wine.

Staying with relatives in France wine with every meal including lunch was the norm,not to have it would have been weird.

83550-D4-A-843-B-4156-A50-F-F91435-E50-E21.jpg

I have found my soul sister. Ogier, L’âme sœur, 2013 - just delicious wine with ox cheek lovingly braised with a bottle of Terres d’orb and purée of white beans. I have no idea how I got this bottle. It’s my only one, I want MORE!!!!! It makes you realise what a world of difference there is between industrial wines and artisanal wines like this.

Needed to stand for a few hours, if there’s any left it may well be even better tomorrow.

83550-D4-A-843-B-4156-A50-F-F91435-E50-E21.jpg

I have found my soul sister. Ogier, L’âme sœur, 2013 - just delicious wine with ox cheek lovingly braised with a bottle of Terres d’orb and purée of white beans. I have no idea how I got this bottle. It’s my only one, I want MORE!!!!! It makes you realise what a world of difference there is between industrial wines and artisanal wines like this.

Needed to stand for a few hours, if there’s any left it may well be even better tomorrow.
If I were you I'd rush out and buy half a dozen before you change your mind.Or just drink and dial.

52196672139_88bec3548a_z.jpg

Phew. I was beginning to wonder why I was feeling underwhelmed by some of these wines, but this has put my mind at rest. It’s wonderful, the best red of the birthday bash so far, I think. Difficult to put into words without falling into the usual nonsense, but there are fragrant and toasty notes that make it taste exactly like an excellent claret should, to my mind. I know some buffs say ‘Mitjavile is at his best in poor years’ which sounds facile to me, but in my (limited) experience the dates on the bottles seem to be a lot less relevant with his wines! This cost me just shy of £50, the same as the Nicolas Catena Zapata a couple of nights ago. I know I’m not comparing like with like, but purely in terms of drinking enjoyment this is in a different class.

I was thinking of pairing this with Henki, the newish album by Richard Dawson and Finnish metallers Circle. I heard a track from it today, ‘Ivy’, which blew me away. It’s about Dionysus, which seems nicely relevant here. But I thought it might be a bit too dark and weird for a beautiful, still night in the garden so I’ve gone with Trios - Chapel by Charles Lloyd. He’s accompanied here by King Bill and Thomas Morgan. Despite Thomas being a mere 40 years old, the average age of the trio is just one less than my 66. Which is nice.

You may have spotted the feral cat tucking into her gifts of kitty milk and paté. We seem to have hammered out a relationship. Anything you find up that end is yours, and you are welcome to it. The saucer won’t be refilled though, no matter how much you mither me. Come back later and see what you find. And don’t even think of approaching me if I’m eating - you are likely to be chased off with loud, gruff words in a foreign language.

I thought it was less than you would pay for strawberries and cream down there.
Or is it a case of will you still love me tomorrow?

Exactly. On day 1 it was sufficiently special to make me think that it was actually worth the ticket. On day 2 -- vacuvin firmly in place overnight -- it was still delicious but the special complexity had gone, it was no better than Rhone at £20 or less. So this is a wine for drinking the whole bottle at once, and for me that makes it not something I want to invest so much money in.

52199932507_3ec1cb021d_z.jpg

Onto one of the big boys in the selection box, and at first a real surprise - the colour, the nose were almost exactly the same as the Roc de Cambes! So too the taste - until I finished eating. Then a more costaud nature asserted itself, and as it went down I felt my body glow a little, like in the Ready Brek ads from my youth. Lovely! I think this is probably 100% Tannat (can’t be arsed to look it up) but there is absolutely none of the astringency you might find in immature Montus or Bouscassé. This really is like a classy right bank claret on steroids. (Bet you’ll never read that sentence in Decanter.) Great stuff indeed, and I’m lucky enough to have five more to try over the next decade or so.

This was paired with Monk’s ‘Big Band and Quartet in Concert’, just about my favourite feelgood album, and now with Ceramic Dog’s ‘Your Turn.’ Not exactly feelgood, but if Ribot isn’t the greatest electric guitarist on the planet, I’d love to know who is.

^^^ prompted me to find 3 bottles of Roc de Cambes. And by coincidence they are the 2013 (doubt I would have bought any other 2013 Bordeaux).
I look forward to 'pure drinking enjoyment' MB. Merci.

^^^ prompted me to find 3 bottles of Roc de Cambes. And by coincidence they are the 2013 (doubt I would have bought any other 2013 Bordeaux).
I look forward to 'pure drinking enjoyment' MB. Merci.
Yikes. Probably best to thank me (or not) after trying one. I wouldn’t wait too long, I bought mine a few months ago with the intention of drinking pretty quickly.

The La Tyre is still fab on the second day - probably up there with an on-song Beaucastel as one of my most memorable reds.

Yikes. Probably best to thank me (or not) after trying one. I wouldn’t wait too long, I bought mine a few months ago with the intention of drinking pretty quickly.

The La Tyre is still fab on the second day - probably up there with an on-song Beaucastel as one of my most memorable reds.
Glad you're getting the wow factor I was getting worried the road to wine nirvana was an illusion.More to come?

Ha. Have you checked price of La Tyre ?
According to CT that bottle cost me approx. £46, but I suspect that might have been the IB price. I’ll have to check with my partner in crime (we split 12x 2000 and 12x 2001.) I remember the prices had been slashed because they had been languishing on a brokers’ list for too long (it’s great news when others are desperate to dump their wine.) So in money terms, somewhere in the Beaucastel area - I seem to recall that’s how I justified the purchase.

Coming back down to earth opened a Masi Campofiorin and very nice it is. Waitrose have it at £12.99 so it is a bargain in the -25% discount sale IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back