advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
52209790621_bd06123e39_z.jpg

The only rosé I brought over in the selection box. I’m late to the Tempier party so probably only preaching to the converted. But wow, it’s pretty wonderful, isn’t it? I honestly can’t think of a rosé I’ve ever enjoyed more, so thanks to those who pushed me towards it when I asked.

A word about my expression in the photo. FMlJ were playing a version of ‘Theme From Shaft.’ I think it’s a rather poignant song about the problems of being a responsible single parent. Being a Black Private Dick obviously doesn’t bring in enough dough, so to keep his family together he has to moonlight as a sex worker and ‘be a sex machine to all the chicks.’ Even then his peers moan about his not attending Mother and Toddler classes, or whatever the 1970’s Harlem equivalent was. And that’s the bit - ‘that cat Shaft is a bad mother’ that I was mouthing when I hit the shutter button.
Lucky you, I missed their 2019 and 2020 rosé, all sold out when I visited to buy some red. I opened a bottle of their 2020 white last night, for "testing purposes". (60% Clairette, 30% Ugni Blanc plus traces of Rolle, Marsanne and Bourboulenc.) Still very young, quite fresh despite the oak, mostly tropical fruit (don't ask me which) and hints of honey or something (some blurbs mention citrus fruit and white flowers, whatever those are, but those didn't seem to obvious). Wife and daughter said they actually preferred the more humble Coteaux Varois en Pr. white (mix of Rolle and Sémillon) we had as an apéritif. Curious to see what the rest of the bottle will be like tonight. Will keep the others a couple more years, I think.

Lucky you, I missed their 2019 and 2020 rosé, all sold out when I visited to buy some red.
As you are in France it is worth keeping an eye on Calais Vins (they deliver.) I got my 2019 rosé there last October, when they seemed to be one of the few merchants who still had stock. I went back two months later - all gone. Right now they have stock of Blot’s Triple Zéro fizz - again, tricky to find at present.

Hi all i've been bought some Bordeaux 2006 vintage, where would it be best to keep it (i don't have a wine cellar!).
An unheated room that gets neither too hot nor too cold, in some sort of insulated box. A garage isn't too bad if it's attached to the house, provided it doesn't get too hot in summer. Cold isn't as bad as excess heat. If all else fails, the bottom of a wardrobe in the spare room, with the rad turned off.

52214944685_213e610282_z.jpg

So, M. Blot, you grow the grapes for this wine in Vouvray and vinify them in Montlouis?
Yes, that’s right...
OK, that makes it a Vin de France.

Got to love French bureaucracy.

This is drier than any of Jacky’s Montlouis that I have tasted, and (yet again, I’m starting to think only I suffer from this) only really began to sing when it wasn’t fighting against food. Then it became a rather lovely, if quite delicate, dry Chenin. But I prefer his Montlouis, perhaps because I think the destiny of Chenin is to be a sweet wine. I stole that line from Gaston Huet, so it must be true.

Tonight this is paired with Todd’s ‘Initiation’. ‘The spirit is free/the universe wants it to be/it calls you and me.’ Arrant hippie drivel, of course, and I love it.

I can't think why grapes grown in Vouvray and vinified in Montlouis can't be called Vouvray. Think of all the Gevrey-Chambertin that is processed by Beaune-based negociants, or generic St. Emilion vinified in Bordeaux.

Do you have to keep mentioning that you knew Gaston Huet?

52214634602_4cce60080f.jpg

Booty unloaded. Boxes on floor two deep. Things are now officially Out Of Control. Moratorium on further purchases begins this instant. Next job, cataloguing the whole bloody lot properly using the indecipherable scraps of paper on which I scribbled notes when I couldn’t be bothered to do it over the last three weeks. I might be some time. Where’s my glass gone?

Last edited:
52214634602_4cce60080f.jpg

Booty unloaded. Boxes on floor two deep. Things are now officially Out Of Control. Moratorium on further purchases begins this instant. Next job, cataloguing the whole bloody lot properly using the indecipherable scraps of paper I scribbled notes on when I couldn’t be bothered to do it over the last three weeks. I might be some time. Where’s my glass gone?
Couldn't you get a couple of magnums in there?

He was indeed, and a lovely tribute.

b6vjIH.jpg

A rather poor snap that I took of him in his hall with my new-fangled digital camera back in 2005, when the buds that would go on to make your bottles were just bursting on the vines outside.

You didn't say how many bottles you were given. I would suggest that you possibly think about opening the first of them sometime this year.

Yikes. Probably best to thank me (or not) after trying one. I wouldn’t wait too long, I bought mine a few months ago with the intention of drinking pretty quickly.

The La Tyre is still fab on the second day - probably up there with an on-song Beaucastel as one of my most memorable reds.

There was never much doubt but you are right about Roc. Reminded me of Musar initially which is high praise.
Not cheap but on the Bordeaux scale of VMF (haha) not expensive either.
So thank you for the introduction.
btw did you build the Towers cellar yourself ? Do you parachute in or is there a hidden ladder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back