advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was pissed as a newt, so fair play to him. He remembers the nightingale towards the end of the poem, but by then, the bird had flown*.

Adieu! adieu! thy plaintive anthem fades
Past the near meadows, over the still stream,
Up the hill-side; and now 'tis buried deep
In the next valley-glades:
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?
Fled is that music:—Do I wake or sleep?

* Lennon/McCartney

Is that 2015 ? As their top wine it is probably only just opening the drinking window. And that would fit with the improvement after an hour. I wonder if it is even better today if you have kept some ?
I also suffer the apprehension affliction. The realisation that there are only so many special occasions left to us is a morbid way to overcome reluctance to open expensive wine for no good reason other than we are still alive ! Covid has been the catalyst.
Cheers.

I had a madeleine moment after reading this. David Evans was my Latin teacher at school, nice guy, he obviously fancied the boys but that wasn't a problem for us. He made me translate Horace, probably the last bit of Latin I did before I decided to join a Maths VIth was an ode by Horace. Beautiful poem, and I just found this excellent translation on line.
Fickle youth and beauty
slip behind us, while boring old-age drives away playful love
and easy sleep. Spring flowers do not hold their beauty forever,
nor does the red moon perpetually glow with the same appearance.
Why would you exhaust your soul making plans for the future, a
soul that is not up to such a task? Why should we not, instead,
have some good wine, while we still can, reclining under a lofty
plane or pine tree—in fact, let us do this without a care in the
world, and adorn our gray hair with flowers and Assyrian scents.
Bacchus drives away our all-consuming worries. What servant is readily
available to dilute the cups of fiery Falernian wine with water
from the flowing stream? Who will lure Lyde, that wild sex fiend,
from her house? Come on now, and use your ivory lyre to persuade her
to hurry up—she has her hair arranged in that sexy, Laconian Greek way

I'm about to cook some Boeuf Bourgignon and so opened a bottle of Terres D'orb for the pot. Having a snifter now. It's really nice!

Carpe Deum, no less!

Most people think its all about getting stuff done, when it really means 'grab a glass'!

A great joy, thank you for posting it.

I had a dream early this morning that there was an report in the DT on a miracle drug that promises to condemn hangovers to a bad memory, by breaking down alcohol at between 2 and 4 times the normal rate. The dream was so vivid that it gave the drug a name, something like Myzra, and stated that it costs £30 for a pack of, well, 30 pills.

It was one of those dreams that was so vivid that it seemed real, and I've been scouring the papers all day to find it, but it just isn't there. Funnily enough, all the other articles in the dream actually are there, so maybe it wasn't a dream at all, just a terrible trick, a July All Fools Day trick.

I had a dream early this morning that there was an report in the DT on a miracle drug that promises to condemn hangovers to a bad memory, by breaking down alcohol at between 2 and 4 times the normal rate. The dream was so vivid that it gave the drug a name, something like Myzra, and stated that it costs £30 for a pack of, well, 30 pills.

It was one of those dreams that was so vivid that it seemed real, and I've been scouring the papers all day to find it, but it just isn't there. Funnily enough, all the other articles in the dream actually are there, so maybe it wasn't a dream at all, just a terrible trick, a July All Fools Day trick.

https://inews.co.uk/news/worlds-first-hangover-cure-pill-uk-available-1721982?ico=most_popular

You can’t rely on something called DT to tell you about hangover pills, n’est-ce pas?

It was real!

Myrkl. Someone has a sense of humour!
Someone certainly does. The person that made up this bit of the article, I’d suggest.

“I would definitely take it,” said Deren Phillips, 26, from Leeds.

She drinks on most Saturday nights despite debilitating hangovers. Weekends often involve throwing up until noon until nothing is left in her stomach.

“I don’t get headaches at all, I’m just violently sick. Last weekend I had it really bad and I thought, ‘I might be done with alcohol altogether’,” she told i.

However, despite initial enthusiasm, Ms Phillips is skeptical about having to take the pill seven days before drinking.

“If I went out every weekend that would mean I would effectively be taking this pill every day,” she said. “I would be worried about the side effects but to be honest, I think I would still take it – anything to stop these hangovers.”

Poor Deren. It must be hell suffering from hangovers and not knowing how you can avoid them.

She drinks on most Saturday nights despite debilitating hangovers. Weekends often involve throwing up until noon until nothing is left in her stomach.

I gave up reading the Sunday papers decades ago for much the same reason.

I took to the advice that you should drink daily to acclimatise the liver.

I must give it a go...

Yes I focussed on that bit too. Not sure it is good advice. Better to give the liver a few days with no alcohol unless you really are only having 1/2 glasses IMO.

I gave up reading the Sunday papers decades ago for much the same reason.

I used to enjoy the Sunday Times but am surprised to realise that was decades ago. Now only buy the Weekend FT when it catches my eye. It really isn't about business: give it a try.

Yes I focussed on that bit too. Not sure it is good advice. Better to give the liver a few days with no alcohol unless you really are only having 1/2 glasses IMO.

I have no doubt that you are right. Regrettably my self-discipline isn't what it should be. It isn't a matter of drinking for its own sake, it's simply that a supper of carefully prepared food seems woefully incomplete without two or three glasses of wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back