advertisement

Glastonbury 22

Must admit for all the cynicism based around what Glastonbury has become (no bigger cynic than myself being honest), I'm really enjoying it.
Friday was especially good for me personally.

Possibly...one of the best bands in the world at the mo.

Khruangbin? They sound like the background music at my local Chinese restaurant.

Confidence Man are interesting - they are more about the dancing and choreography than the songs I reckon. I thought he was having an off day and quite a few of his moves failed, especially at the end. She is magnetic though - can't take eyes off her when she dances. for all the right and wrong reasons.

Absolutely bang on with McCartney's performance. I'm not an out-and-out fan of his, but credit where it's due.......it was astonishing.

And to think he's almost as old as the average age of the membership of this board! Sure puts it into perspective.
What made it for me, was seeing kids the age of my grandchildren singing along and enjoying themselves so much. Never mind earning the right to be there, he was relevant right there, right now.
I'm glad my wife forced me to sit though it! :D

Khruangbin? They sound like the background music at my local Chinese restaurant.

Confidence Man are interesting - they are more about the dancing and choreography than the songs I reckon. I thought he was having an off day and quite a few of his moves failed, especially at the end. She is magnetic though - can't take eyes off her when she dances. for all the right and wrong reasons.
Perhaps they practise out the back.

I am not a huge McCartney or Beatles fan although I admire and appreciate their talent and importance both to music and culture and generally this sort of thing is not for me. But everyone seemed to enjoy it so who am I to comment? I think of it as a sort of Maccy Jubes.

Although I note the precedent and don't blame me when we see an 80 year-old Elton John leading an 12 min version of Candle in the Wind with Billy Joel and Rod Stewart :)

Although I note the precedent and don't blame me when we see an 80 year-old Elton John leading an 12 min version of Candle in the Wind with Billy Joel and Rod Stewart :)

The last clip I saw of Elton John (can’t remember the context) suggested he had transformed 100% into Vic Reeves ‘pub singer’ persona.

Bobby Gillespie- “Glastonbury. Get your rocks off. F*ck the Tories. Acid House forever.” - Beautiful!

Just rewatching the St Vincent set as I missed the first half hour and the penny just dropped that her female guitar tech/roadie was dressed as hotel room service. Nice detail!

PS It’s a really great set, worth catching if missed.

watched an hour of Macca, don't like his music, but you can see a true talent. In the end got bored.

Just rewatching the St Vincent set as I missed the first half hour and the penny just dropped that her female guitar tech/roadie was dressed as hotel room service. Nice detail!

PS It’s a really great set, worth catching if missed.
+1 for St Vincent, been my favourite set so far

The last clip I saw of Elton John (can’t remember the context) suggested he had transformed 100% into Vic Reeves ‘pub singer’ persona.
So funny, this is already a meme in my house. He’s actually better than Vic Reeves at it. Oh and I think it’s properly ‘club singer’.

Megan Thee Stallion the best so far

She was great. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy her set as much as I did, especially as there was no band, but she really surprised me. I love her attitude, a positive force for sure. Her Roe vs. Wade statement is my Glastonbury highlight so far, just astonishingly powerful and exactly the right use of that platform. Clip of that moment here on Twitter, though I’d recommend folk try the full set (it’s in the ‘Beats & Bars’ section on iPlayer).

I am not a huge McCartney or Beatles fan although I admire and appreciate their talent and importance both to music and culture and generally this sort of thing is not for me. But everyone seemed to enjoy it so who am I to comment? I think of it as a sort of Maccy Jubes.

Mrs H watched the whole set and enjoyed it. I couldn't be doing with it myself.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but there's an excellent documentary of the history of the Glastonbury Festival from 1970 to now. It's interesting to see how many musical fashions have passed me by whilst I've been doing other things.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0018lm9/glastonbury-glastonbury-50-years-and-counting

advertisement

Back