advertisement

Glastonbury 22

Didn't watch all of Macca. Though I'd catch up on iPlayer later... but it's not available. o_O I wonder if that's also part of the deal? Hour late and not to be rebroadcast?

Funny how people will venerate old blues/jazz musicians yet take the piss out of one the greatest ever songwriters.

Totally different musical form. Jazz evolves, it grows, it is a lifelong journey, never a static recreation of the past. It also doesn’t tend to rely on the voice much, and when it does (e.g. very late period Ella Fitzgerald) critics tend not to be kind at all. Pop music is the music of youth and it is exceptionally hard almost to the point of impossibility for a band to create their best work later in life. The only old band I can instantly bring to mind might be Radiohead. Moon Shaped Pool is not far off as good as In Rainbows, and that is on a par with Kid A/Amnesiac, and all are for me better than anything they produced before (yes, even Ok Computer). I can’t think of another band. Edit: I can: David Bowie; Blackstar is as good as anything he ever did. May even be his best album. Still very, very rare though. Unicorn rare.

Yes, McCartney is a legend. A indisputably superb songwriter, a superb bass player (one of the best rock bassists IMHO), but as his astonishing set-list suggested everything was in the past, and most of the really top-tier stuff the work of a guy under 30. That’s 50 years ago. Yes, he has an absolute right to be there, he put on an amazing show, huge numbers of punters there and across the world clearly loved it, though should we really abandon all critical thought and worship him as a deity? I don’t think he’d want that. I’d certainly not. I’m pleased I saw what I did, but being honest I’d far preferred to see him in the ‘60s or early to mid ‘70s when he was still at a creative peak. Good on him though.

Fontaines DC, Nightmares On Wax, Herbie Hancock......Looks like something to get excited about again:)

Kendrick Lamar is the big one for me. Fascinated to see what he’s like live. Loads of great jazz too, e.g. Emma Jean Thackray, Nubya Garcia, Ishmael Ensemble etc. Looking forward to see what Herbie does too, I’ll definitely be watching that. He has to be older than McCartney!

advertisement

Back