advertisement

Glastonbury 22

Totally different musical form. Jazz evolves, it grows, it is a lifelong journey, never a static recreation of the past. It also doesn’t tend to rely on the voice much, and when it does (e.g. very late period Ella Fitzgerald) critics tend not to be kind at all. Pop music is the music of youth and it is exceptionally hard almost to the point of impossibility for a band to create their best work later in life. The only old band I can instantly bring to mind might be Radiohead. Moon Shaped Pool is not far off as good as In Rainbows, and that is on a par with Kid A/Amnesiac, and all are for me better than anything they produced before (yes, even Ok Computer). I can’t think of another band. Edit: I can: David Bowie; Blackstar is as good as anything he ever did. May even be his best album. Still very, very rare though. Unicorn rare.

Yes, McCartney is a legend. A indisputably superb songwriter, a superb bass player (one of the best rock bassists IMHO), but as his astonishing set-list suggested everything was in the past, and most of the really top-tier stuff the work of a guy under 30. That’s 50 years ago. Yes, he has an absolute right to be there, he put on an amazing show, huge numbers of punters there and across the world clearly loved it, though should we really abandon all critical thought and worship him as a deity? I don’t think he’d want that. I’d certainly not. I’m pleased I saw what I did, but being honest I’d far preferred to see him in the ‘60s or early to mid ‘70s when he was still at a creative peak. Good on him though.
It’s kind of irrelevant to what I was saying though. Why do people see the need to be so sniffy on social media, as if their hot take has any value.

People will turn up & watch an old blues man (not sure there are any left) & be respectful, they also give a free pass to any old crap that is supposedly authentic.

Ultimately McCartney is 80, the fact he is able to perform at a high level is incredible. I see no reason why he shouldn’t be treated as a deity.

No doubt I would have crawled over broken glass to watch Monk, Armstrong or Ellington regardless of how diminished they may have been at the end.

Emma Jean Thackray is lurking somewhere too, though maybe out of scope of the BBC coverage. Annoyingly the coverage started too late to get Ishmael Ensemble, who are really good in a jazz meets Bristol trip-hop way. I bought an album recently.

Currently waiting for Nubya… I’d like to hear some new material here, it’s a long time since Source and we’ve only had a couple of remix items since…

Thought Macca was amazing. Had a bit of dust in my eye a couple of times.
Enjoyed Herbie just now.
Expecting a crazy, camp as a Glasto performance from Pet Shop Boys tonight.

I think pretty much everyone likes PSB who are basically pop royalty by now.

Jez Arkless is pfm’s main PSB fan, I’m sure he has the pointed hat and everything. I quite like them, but they are one for iPayer tomorrow as they clash with Kendrick Lamar.

Just caught a bit of Nubya. Can any PFM musos tell me what the synth-y sounding effect was on her sax?

Great to see her on such a big stage. Doesn't feel that long ago I was watching her play in the front room of a pub in New Cross!

Just caught a bit of Nubya. Can any PFM musos tell me what the synth-y sounding effect was on her sax?

She certainly had it through an auto-wah at one point. Beyond that some delay at times. That’s the ‘new’ thing this gig, I’ve not seen her use FX before. She seems to have quite a substantial pedal board on the floor!

Terence Blanchard - trumpet
James Genus - bass
Lionel Loueke - Guitar
Justin Tyson - drums

Apparently!

Just catching up on it now. I had the pleasure of a beer with James Genus (or Genius as I call him) back in the mid 90’s at Ronnie Scotts. He was playing for the Brecker Brothers and is one my bass heroes. About the nicest, and coolest person you could ever meet. Tyson is an insanely good drummer.

Just catching up on it now. I had the pleasure of a beer with James Genus (or Genius as I call him) back in the mid 90’s at Ronnie Scotts. He was playing for the Brecker Brothers and is one my bass heroes. About the nicest, and coolest person you could ever meet. Tyson is an insanely good drummer.

Blanchard's very famous too, I don't know the other two I don't think

Caught a bit of Sleaford Mods last night thought they were really interesting, never heard them before, the 'dancer' was brilliant.

advertisement

Back