advertisement

Technics 50th Anni SL-1200 Mk7

How many dealers do those distributors have ?
Some dealer won't get as much as 7 decks me think.

The past two SL1200 limited editions have both been very limited, the 1995 gold MkII was 5000 units worldwide, the 2004 Mk5 3000 units worldwide (Wikipedia). Many dealers didn’t get any at all. I remember seeing a pair of the 1995 version in a Tottenham Court Rd dealer at the time, they weren’t cheap. If the limited number for these Mk7s is right (12000 total) that makes the edition far more common overall, but each colour is actually rarer at 1714 units. This is what I was banking on when I took a speculative punt, that and choosing what I suspect may be the most sought-after colour. Time will tell if it was a bonkers move! It may well be. Happy to hold for 10 years or so.

I have no idea in how many countries, Technics have distributors ?

Lets guess 75 countries ww
Thats 160 units per country.
Thats average 22-23 turntables in each color per country.
Sound quite limited.

How many dealers do those distributors have ?
Some dealer won't get as much as 7 decks me think.

Above just a wild guess
It’s a limited retail release aimed toward DJ Stores, 9 in USA, 5 in UK (think Richer have done a handshake with a DJ store so 6), can only see 1 in Germany
https://na.panasonic.com/us/news/te...r-anniversary-model-their-successful-range-dj

I do wonder whether they might gauge interest on a per colour basis? If so, they might only release a handful of some colours compared to others?

52149626077_be11fd579f_b.jpg

Got it. Annoyingly it wasn’t double-boxed, just an outer plastic bag, so the box picked up a couple of dings/puncture wounds. As such the choice to keep it sealed was removed, it clearly needed checking. It’s thankfully fine, no damage at all. I stuck a standard piece of A4 in the frame as a white balance, though the also visible manual is likely better. Pics taken with an iPhone 13 on its default settings, Apple’s daylight colour balance is very good to my eyes. It is very, very yellow and looks really cool IMO. I like it!

52150641846_1b09d5e843_b.jpg

As it was open I did a very quick function test, it certainly works, no obvious run-out or anything. Again looks great. I used surgical gloves, no fingermarks!

52149626122_6b4d893551_b.jpg

Serial #00445. Now all safely back in its box for storage!

PS It is very much a matt/satin finish, I doubt these will hold up to heavy wear well at all.

Today is unquestionably a yellow day as The Smile album (Radiohead spin-off) has just landed and that is at least as bright yellow. Sounds amazing too, a really big punchy cut (the album, no idea what the Technics sounds like!).

Today is unquestionably a yellow day as The Smile album (Radiohead spin-off) has just landed and that is at least as bright yellow. Sounds amazing too, a really big punchy cut (the album, no idea what the Technics sounds like!).

My copy is waiting for me at Resident!

Now all safely back in its box for storage!

That is yellow indeed.
Lego toy yellow ?
I remember it being darker in the flesh but might have been the room I visited or above photo ..?

Anyway what's the condition for 10 years storage ?
Warm room, cold, medium, direct on floor ?

Is there any recommendation for optimized storage ?

Anyway what's the condition for 10 years storage ?
Warm room, cold, medium, direct on floor ?

I’ve got a fair amount of kit boxed-up in my house. I’m a bit of a hoarder so some has been stored for many years and is checked now and again. My house is dry with no unusual humidity swings, extremes of temperature etc. Nothing corrodes or anything. I’m sure this will be perfectly happy sitting in its box. It is in an upstairs room not against an external wall or anything.

PS Looking at the manual (pdf here) one thing that irritates me (or would if I’d bought it to actually use rather than flip), is I think the lid just rests on. It doesn’t seem to have hinges or hinge locations like a SL1200 MkI or II. I understand a DJ wouldn’t care in the slightest about that, but it’s a pretty big deal for an audiophile. If anyone who has bought one to use could confirm this is true I’d be curious to know.

Did anyone else actually get one?! There seemed to be quite a bit of interest at the beginning of the thread. FWIW I bet it’s a really nice deck for the cash. It certainly seems as well made as one would expect from Technics. Very high perceived value when viewed from a hi-fi perspective, e.g. solid construction, heavy, everything nicely machined or moulded etc.

PS I’ve confirmed from YouTube that the lid isn’t hinged, though hinges can be retrofitted fairly easily if one is prepared to drill a couple of holes in the base:

Anyone get a white one?

Cheers BB

My dealer has sold out of any color.

On paper I wasn't keen on the white.
in the flesh both white and black were quite stunning.
great looking decks.

Wonder how they compete against GR or even G.
No idea if the so called KAB damper will provide any serious upgrade ?

My house is dry with no unusual humidity swings

I believe this is important thinking decades ahead as investment purpose..

I have a fair bit of kit/boxes stored up as well - the packing boxes nearly makes need for a separate storage room.
For example my two subs - just one in service now - the ship boxes are enormous as well as many floor standers box.
I know a guy storing around 100 pairs of loudspeakers, that require a separate house size.

The eBay flippers are out already here, here, and here, though nothing in the UK yet. These prices have to be optimistic, I’d have thought they could still be found at standard retail with a bit of hunting, plus I was only expecting to maybe stick say 25-30% on after a couple of years hold, not nearly double now! No idea what the optimal hold-time is, but I’m in no rush at all, plus I actually like it! Its Yellow! The 90s gold MkIIs just keep on going up and up, a NOS one/pair of those would be worth loads now. It will be interesting to see where it settles.

PS The nightmare scenario is if Technics release the colours in a non-limited form, then all one has is a number plaque and a couple of stickers to sell!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Did anyone else actually get one?! There seemed to be quite a bit of interest at the beginning of the thread. FWIW I bet it’s a really nice deck for the cash. It certainly seems as well made as one would expect from Technics. Very high perceived value when viewed from a hi-fi perspective, e.g. solid construction, heavy, everything nicely machined or moulded etc.

PS I’ve confirmed from YouTube that the lid isn’t hinged, though hinges can be retrofitted fairly easily if one is prepared to drill a couple of holes in the base:

I have a red one on order, looks like the yellow batch arrived and has been delivered so only on back order/maybe if they get more basis.

Looks very cool, Tony. I don't believe in hifi as 'investment' so I would use it. It certainly will give you a different sound to the Thorens. In fact, certain types of music may even play better on the Technics!

Personally I hope they make many more than they say and the “investment” value crashes. Buying hifi to leave unused is just an example of false values inherent to the speculation economy we live in. Crypto’s a prime example, burning the world for a Ponzi scheme

advertisement

Back