advertisement

Whisky II

I admit to knowing almost nothing about whisky, but did buy a bottle while in Scotland last year (Kindsbarns Dream to Dram) and have a couple of bottles of Glenlivet that were a Chrismas gift. Was wondering if anyone stateside has recommendations for any varieties readily available from for example BevMo?
If you can get them at ClubBev prices these look decent value:

https://www.bevmo.com/shop/spirits/...p/1564405684704509322#!/?department_id=897493
https://www.bevmo.com/shop/spirits/...p/1564405684704506901#!/?department_id=897493
https://www.bevmo.com/shop/spirits/...p/1564405684711982266#!/?department_id=897493

Clynelish 14 last night... I'm two thirds in and still disappointing and generic, with just a hint of the famed waxiness* and won't bother replacing it; though it may be a batch variation thing...gave it time and water and no improvement.
*I did get a burst of marmalade on a solitary dram but it went.

Clynelish 14 last night... I'm two thirds in and still disappointing and generic, with just a hint of the famed waxiness* and won't bother replacing it; though it may be a batch variation thing...gave it time and water and no improvement.
Longrow 14 was one of my desert island drams. When they discontinued it a few years ago I squirrelled away a couple of bottles. Last week I thought “if not now, when?” and pulled the trigger. Where I remembered a wonderful Fisherman’s Friend, Lagavulin-ish smoke, I got tight and sweet, more akin to Hazelburn. Maybe a batch issue, or maybe my palette has changed in the intervening years, or maybe it will give up more of its charm as the level goes down?

Had a Clynelish 14 several years ago, perfectly decent if not spectacular.

I had a 20cl bottle recently and found it pretty underwhelming from start to finish after rave reviews about it. Had a very good Thompson Bros rum cask finish Clynlish that was lovely, probably only now found on secondary market.

I had a 20cl bottle recently and found it pretty underwhelming from start to finish after rave reviews about it. Had a very good Thompson Bros rum cask finish Clynlish that was lovely, probably only now found on secondary market.
Older aficionados become teary eyed at the mention of the original Clynelish- Brora. You would have to take out a mortgage on a bottle now. I was lucky enough to bag one a few years back when it was still comparatively affordable. A beautiful, peaty, coastal dram (think exceptional quality Talisker). They’ve rebuilt Brora, which is adjacent to the newer Clynelish distillery. Be interesting to taste the results, although no doubt they’ll all be snapped up in minutes and end up on the secondary market sights at silly prices.

This is one of the best practical introduction videos I've seen for those who "don't like whisky", but might be open to persuasion if some of the pitfalls can be skirted:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Some shocking price rises there. Might snap up a couple of 10 yo in case it goes the same way. I always thought the 18 was overrated anyway.
Yup.
I think they'll keep the 10 sensible-ish pricewise as it draws in new "customers"...though I bought another bottle when it was on offer at £30 recently.

"Diageo’s own 2021 preliminary results, we can see them report an operating profit of £3.7 billion, up by +75% year-over-year." :confused:

Perhaps the "premiumisation" will fail (as with Mortlach) and prices will drift down...

Thanks, picked up a bottle of the Loch Lomond 12 year old, quite different from the two Glenlivet's. Not as smooth, seemed more peaty, and to my mind had a more varied flavour profile, certainly a good buy.

Surely that Talisker 18 price is an Amazon algorithm glitch?!! Oh, just seen the other link, £250!! If Diageo are taking the piss like that then I'd just walk away from all Talisker products. I liked the last 10yo I had but it was pretty one-dimensional. Must be alternatives and better distilleries to support?

Just discovered this thread, will spend some time enjoying it later. Sadly, since COVID I have lost most of my sense of taste and even Laphroaig tastes bland. Has been 4 months now :(

advertisement

Back