advertisement

Whisky II

With multiple open whiskies I've started to decant some of my favourites / more expensive whisky into 200ml bottles to avoid excessive contact with oxygen. The ones I have are metal lids but they appear to have a pulp and poly liner, which apparently may degrade over time from the alcohol fumes? Wondering if I can just remove or do I need polycone liners? Corks? What are fellow whisky geeks using? Yes I know, it's a slow day...
I save my empty miniature and 20cl bottles for this purpose, when required. And it’s not required that often as once I open a bottle it doesn’t usually last longer than a few weeks. I’m quite content to leave in the original bottle for up to a year as long as there’s at least one quarter to one eighth left, and it’s stored carefully.

I like the idea of a reference ‘library’ for the future, for those ‘ee but they don’t make ‘em like they used to’ moments. Had quite a few bottles in the past that I probably didn’t fully appreciate at the time, but are now out of my reach. Wondering how long I can rely on the standard screw caps. Eg Casavetro on Amazon.

I have a few minatures with the heels of bottles in them, but nothing of any value.
I've been making a conscious effort to "kill" a few bottles over the last few months as a I had too many open...explains my "not tried it yet" answer re most of my new purchases...

Last edited:
Good ole' rant from Ralfy about the Scotch Whisky Association's attempt to change the name of Macaloney Distillers in Canada. There's also some interesting comments about Scotch's waning reputation and the 'threat' of English whisky.

Yesterday I went to a tasting session at Dartmoor Whisky in Bovey Tracey. I was quite impressed in the end, especially considering how young the whisky was (distilled 2017). It was very sweet overall, the idea being that this profile is in part due to using a cognac still. Of the three expressions, I was less impressed by the Bordeaux cask. The bourbon cask was fairly mild and enjoyable while the sherry cask added a wonderful richness.

I'm terrible at describing flavour profiles so I'll just say that Arran is my favourite distillery and Dartmoor Whisky had a similar appeal.

I too have a tasting at Dartmoor Whisky in April. I had a fair few bottle open at Christmas time but kept coming back to the 10 yo Arran. Along with Campbeltown probably my favourite and consistent choice

For my birthday we had a mini adventure and backpacked into Sandwood Bay and did our first camping trip with our labrador, Ludo. I took my hip flask and toasted the world with a few nips of the James Eadie Trademark-X.

172398388.4SqgYtRB.wsb101.jpg

172398380.977HIuHQ.sb110.jpg

For my birthday we had a mini adventure and backpacked into Sandwood Bay and did our first camping trip with our labrador, Ludo. I took my hip flask and toasted the world with a few nips of the James Eadie Trademark-X.

172398388.4SqgYtRB.wsb101.jpg

172398380.977HIuHQ.sb110.jpg
Fantastic place. See if you can spot a washed up telegraph pole with burns on it. I put some of the burns there 34 years ago. I couldn’t find it last summer and wondered if the sea had reclaimed it.

After a nice walk down the Spey from Aberlour to Craigellachie Bridge in the sunshine earlier, we made a visit to the Whisky Castle earlier as my wife wanted to get my a nice bottle of whisky for my birthday. After a look through their vast range I decided to go for a couple of reasonable priced bottles instead of one more expensive one - both "teaspoon" malts from the Whisky Cellar (and both of which the shop had opened bottles of so were able to give me a taste of).

The first one was their "House Malt" which is a lowland 10 year old bottled at 57.1%, matured in a first fill American Oak Oloroso sherry butt. The distillery isn't mentioned (but I've seen speculation about Bladnoch) but it's very nice and seems great value at under £50.

The second one is their "Campbeltown", a 7-year old from a refill Oloroso sherry hogshead and bottled at 54.9%. Again no distillery stated but seems likely to be a Glen Scotia. Also very nice and also seeming like good value.

Fantastic place. See if you can spot a washed up telegraph pole with burns on it. I put some of the burns there 34 years ago. I couldn’t find it last summer and wondered if the sea had reclaimed it.

Sadly didn't see anything like that. The beach has history for swallowing stuff like that up as apparently there are a lot of shipwrecks until the sand as well as some remains (mainly the engine) of a Spitfire.

In the throes of polishing off a Penderyn sherry cask (I don’t mean right this minute, I generally wait until the sun’s over the yardarm, at least). Refreshing and fruity. Not too bad at all.

Quick visit to the cafe for some food,done the tour
before.Really found the 21 yr.old Aberfeldy nothing
remarkable.Enjoying a wee Schiehallion lager in the pub.

The only Aberfeldy I've tried is the 12 (not long finished my bottle as it happens - I used it for old fashioneds) and that was somewhat "meh" - more like a cheap NAS than a 12-year old really. None of the other bottlings look all that interesting either (or at least nothing in my budget).

The only Aberfeldy I've tried is the 12 (not long finished my bottle as it happens - I used it for old fashioneds) and that was somewhat "meh" - more like a cheap NAS than a 12-year old really. None of the other bottlings look all that interesting either (or at least nothing in my budget).

The 15s the one to go for. I quite like the 21...

However, the Dewars 18 is my favourite; very good bottle indeed

No luck here. Tried several ballots and was unsuccessful. To be honest, I've had enough of trying to chase bottles, and will stick to stuff that's more easily purchased, without stupid mark up of prices. I've got a bottle of Springbank 10 yr in the cupboard, and it's very good, but plenty of others at the same price just as enjoyable, without the hassle.

Had I seen them I'd have grabbed a bottle of Springbank, Kilkerran cs or, a few weeks back, Glenallachie 10 cs...but yeah, I can't be bothered to chase them. Not sure what's comparable and readily available around those prices though? Currently I'm finding better value in the rum world.

advertisement

Back