advertisement

Whisky II

Just discovered this thread, will spend some time enjoying it later. Sadly, since COVID I have lost most of my sense of taste and even Laphroaig tastes bland. Has been 4 months now :(
Sorry to hear that..hopeully you'll gradually get back to normal.

I went to visit my usual whisky shop and ask to reserve some on next weeks Springbank release, hopefully I'll have some Longrow Red and a Local barley Sprinbank. Whilst there they had some Kilkerran Heavily Peated so brought a bottle home with me.

Just discovered this thread, will spend some time enjoying it later. Sadly, since COVID I have lost most of my sense of taste and even Laphroaig tastes bland. Has been 4 months now :(
Take heart, it does come back (IME). We lost all sense of taste and smell with Covid (April 2020 version) and mine was still very off 4 months later, but steadily improving by 6 months and mostly back to normal within a year. One thing which I found did help is to actively try to re-train your sense of smell. So deliberately sniff things you're consuming, whether a cup of tea, ground coffee, bread, or whatever, it all helps stimulate the sense of smell and get it back up and running. Especially do this with wine, beer and, of course, whisky. Get your nose well in, sniff as you would to savour the aromas, even if you're not getting them.

Some insane prices there @Weekender , was all set to splurge on bourbon (and an Arran 18) but all sold out....hopefully someone picks up a bargain
That 18 would have been a steal.
Fingers crossed have a restock of my Arran Bodega, Machre Moor cask strength and Tamdhu cask strength...paid by credit card and their Trustpilot reviews are fine.

I tried to put x2 of the Bodega (£34!!) in my trolley when there was 1 left. By the time I revisited after checking out other bottles to bump up to free delivery it had vanished! Bothy still available at £31 which someone here should snap up (I have one on the go)
Online store now closed..?

I tried to put x2 of the Bodega (£34!!) in my trolley when there was 1 left. By the time I revisited after checking out other bottles to bump up to free delivery it had vanished! Bothy still available at £31 which someone here should snap up (I have one on the go)
Aargh...frustrating.
Yeah I have a couple of bottles of the Bothy...great price.
Online store now closed..?
I think they've been overwhelmed by orders; I'm getting a "down for maintenance" message...had a confirmation email from them for my order.

Very odd website. Bodega £53 and sold out for me. Bothy £48. No idea how they could take such a hit in price earlier, but if they honour it you've got an absolute bargain!

Very odd website. Bodega £53 and sold out for me. Bothy £48. No idea how they could take such a hit in price earlier, but if they honour it you've got an absolute bargain!
No offers at all on the website for me either now...

...fingers crossed.

Interesting question from this week's quiz on Roy's channel:

Between 2008 and 2014 Diageo increased malt production by?:

A) 19%
B) 42%
C) 76%

And the answer is c) 76%
Boggling.
That 18 would have been a steal.
Fingers crossed have a restock of my Arran Bodega, Machre Moor cask strength and Tamdhu cask strength...paid by credit card and their Trustpilot reviews are fine.
Arrived!
They apparently applied the 20% discount twice.
:)

With multiple open whiskies I've started to decant some of my favourites / more expensive whisky into 200ml bottles to avoid excessive contact with oxygen. The ones I have are metal lids but they appear to have a pulp and poly liner, which apparently may degrade over time from the alcohol fumes? Wondering if I can just remove or do I need polycone liners? Corks? What are fellow whisky geeks using? Yes I know, it's a slow day...

Yesterday I went to a tasting session at Dartmoor Whisky in Bovey Tracey. I was quite impressed in the end, especially considering how young the whisky was (distilled 2017). It was very sweet overall, the idea being that this profile is in part due to using a cognac still. Of the three expressions, I was less impressed by the Bordeaux cask. The bourbon cask was fairly mild and enjoyable while the sherry cask added a wonderful richness.

I'm terrible at describing flavour profiles so I'll just say that Arran is my favourite distillery and Dartmoor Whisky had a similar appeal.

advertisement

Back