advertisement

LP12 Motor @ 7o’clock

In 1961, Villchur designed a turntable (record player), and published an article explaining its several innovations. The tone arm and turntable platen were mounted together and suspended independently from the body of the turntable, so that a shock to the body of the turntable would have little effect on the playing of the record. Indeed, Villchur was fond of demonstrating this independent suspension by hitting the wooden base of the turntable with a mallet while the record played on flawlessly. The mechanical isolation of the tone-arm-platen assembly from the base had a further advantage. It eliminated the “muddy” bass sound that often resulted when vibrations from the loudspeaker were conducted through the floor and caused feedback through the pickup into the amplifier.

I've not tried these on mine, but it is on the list of things to do before breaking out my old copy of Saturday Night Fever again. However, I do fear that 'Stayin' Alive' won't sound quite so lively afterward (then again, 'How Deep is Your Rumble' may be improved).

Some things in life I take consolation in NOT doing, like buying a Saturday Night Fever LP, seeing the film, trying heroin…

Some things in life I take consolation in NOT doing, like buying a Saturday Night Fever LP, seeing the film, trying heroin…
Glad to hear that it wasn't a history of heroin addiction that has you now trying to convert a Linn Sondek LP12 into a Technics SL-1200.

As what phase was one expected to wear a hard hat and green triangle safety boots whilst in the lounge?

e49bd16cd22c1a040f1bce3d0169f20062e94d78.jpeg

Sounds like you're on your way to buying either a PT deck or an Alphason... As have I

Regards the motor position: Linn positioning gets it far away from the cart, but the pulses from the AC pull across the stylus suspension, the stretch in the belt and seperate outer platter mitigate against this. The PT position pulls the cart along its axis (mostly) so the pulses have no affect. However the motor is now slightly nearer to the cart. Different set of compromises for each.

The proper solution is to use a DC motor, or maybe 2 AC motors that are phased to cancel each other out. Later option may need shielding under the platter

Last edited:
As what phase was one expected to wear a hard hat and green triangle safety boots whilst in the lounge?

e49bd16cd22c1a040f1bce3d0169f20062e94d78.jpeg
Not if the loft is between 9 and 11 meters high and has an area of 180sqm.

Hard to believe that this photo appears regularly. Anyway, a music lover from England heard the system and was just as enthusiastic as I still am today. Even though all electronics were replaced except for the LP12.

A topplate with 7 o'clock arrangement I have by the way still available. At the time with the old bearing this was an improvement.

Good Lord, if you had just described that and provided no photo, I would never have believed you!

I heard John Watson's system years ago, which was broadly similar to this. Anyone who things stands don't make much difference would be very quickly persuaded otherwise and it remains one of my 'reference sounds' to this day.

I heard John Watson's system years ago, which was broadly similar to this. Anyone who things stands don't make much difference would be very quickly persuaded otherwise and it remains one of my 'reference sounds' to this day.
Judging by the hookah on the left there, I was under the impression that this might actually have been John Watson's system, but decided against a photo credit to that effect.

Presumably, the pipe and flying carpet were necessary accessories in order to levitate one up to the heady heights necessary to cue CDs and LPs, as having a step-ladder in the room would obviously introduce some clanging metal colouration.

Sounds like you're on your way to buying either a PT deck or an Alphason... As have I

Regards the motor position: Linn positioning gets it far away from the cart, but the pulses from the AC pull across the stylus suspension, the stretch in the belt and seperate outer platter mitigate against this. The PT position pulls the cart along its axis (mostly) so the pulses have no affect. However the motor is now slightly nearer to the cart. Different set of compromises for each.

The proper solution is to use a DC motor, or maybe 2 AC motors that are phased to cancel each other out. Later option may need shielding under the platter

Thanks for your input, Dan. I use the Mober PSU which includes their DC motor, so maybe it would benefit by trying it at 7.
Never heard the Alphason, but I heard the PT a long time ago when I was working in the Bizz and I preferred what it was demoed against: the Linn. OK, with my 3rd party upgrades, I don’t have a ‘Linn’ anymore; it was when they released the rumoured upgrade, the Keel and the price – I thought “F**k that, I gotta find an alternative.” Which incidentally was how I came to find this forum.

Where’s my stash…..

Is there any sort of radiated field from a DC motor? Assuming that it's utterly without vibration or any kind of drive torque pulsing, then it's location should only affect the side force on the bearing and nothing else - just guessing really.

Maybe the ultimate DC motor solution is to use a PT style 'vector drive' (?). ie a DC motor mounted on the sub platter and a pair of pulleys, avoiding any side force on the bearing. Maybe try to find a PT Annie - too £££ for me. I'll stick with my PT too and Sonata

advertisement

Back