advertisement

LP12 Motor @ 7o’clock

kanwar

pfm Member
I know this has been discussed before but I can’t find any bumf when I try various wordings in Search about the subject. I have a 3rd party LP12 top plate with cut outs for the normal motor position and at 7 o’clock. I’d appreciate the opinions from persons that have tried it. By the way, I don’t use the springs in the LP12.

Thanks.

You don't use the springs? If there is no suspension the position of the motor will make no difference to the behavior of the platter. The only difference having the motor at 7 will make is that it will be closer to the cartridge so there is more potential for it to pick up noise.

The theory behind the 7 o'clock positioning of the motor was to bring transmitted motor vibration along the long axis of the arm/cartridge cantilever (as opposed to the L/R perpendicular axis of same). Never heard one so I don't know if it made a difference.

You don't use the springs? If there is no suspension the position of the motor will make no difference to the behavior of the platter. The only difference having the motor at 7 will make is that it will be closer to the cartridge so there is more potential for it to pick up noise.
This makes sense so if I decide to install it I’ll go for the standard position (no ‘Carry On’ innuendos please).

The top plate doesn’t look or feel any better than the original, it’s a French design called: Linn Gunmetal Top Plate. The only things going for it is that the finish is very attractive and there’s no switch cut out, I use the Mober PSU.

The originals LP12 bits that remain is the TP and a very nice rosewood plinth, and some screws nuts and bolts. I call it a Linn because it looks like one.

I’ve never heard of a deck with no springs/suspension at all. I would imagine it would sound terrible….but who knows? Let us know how you get on. I made my own springs for mine, due to the different loads at the three positions, works extremely well, but took a lot of trial and error. But no springs…….?!

I knew a chap that worked in a hifi shop that ran an LP12 and no springs - he really liked it. Sounded like a cross between a Linn and a Xerxes

Teddy Pardo did the no-springs thing too and considering the sound and quality of his electronics (which I use) I thought I’d give it a go; very quick and easy to implement.

The workmanship of the top plate ein’t that great. I’m gonnna have to file the edges of the drilled holes flat on the underside of it. But it was delivered to me in Germany without the red tape for something from Blighty.

The whole design of the LP12 centres round the use of springs as sub-chassis isolation. This is what was nicked from Thorens (who previously nicked it from Villchur/Acoustic Research). To do away with the springs is to do away with the lot. It isn't like Garrard 301/401, TD124, etc. where the substantial chassis is the deck, with the plinth being there there just to hold it upright.

AFAIK, the only spring suspended sub-chassis deck with plinth mounted motor that was purposed designed to go from springs to polymer absorbers is TD125, with the caveat that this option was specifically intended for discotheque usage, and likely to result in a higher rumble level. I've not tried these on mine, but it is on the list of things to do before breaking out my old copy of Saturday Night Fever again. However, I do fear that 'Stayin' Alive' won't sound quite so lively afterward (then again, 'How Deep is Your Rumble' may be improved).

35g9WQP.png

The purpose of the suspension originally (I think) was to isolate rumble from the motor. Now that motors and drives are much better perhaps the win in terms of speed stability from removing the suspension trumps the possibility of motor noise breaking through. It should be easy enough to test for. Remove the belt, put needle on the record, can you hear the motor on/off?

The purpose of the suspension originally (I think) was to isolate rumble from the motor. Now that motors and drives are much better perhaps the win in terms of speed stability from removing the suspension trumps the possibility of motor noise breaking through.
Well, the sprung suspension also isolates low frequency feedback, so not entirely.

With experience of two 'LP 12s' built with Funk Firm bits and another two customized by myself, I'd go for the the Seven O Clock position. No experience of one without springs tho.

Way back I had a LP12 Pink Linnk, which used the same power supply as in the PTTOO (pacesetter?) iirc and a new black top plate with motor in the 7 O clock position.

No idea what difference the motor contributed though as prefered the Xerxes/PT decks so didn't keep it that long

advertisement

Back