advertisement

LP12 Motor @ 7o’clock

I ran my deck on Mana with the supplied bumpons for years before moving on to my current setup which I feel moved the deck in a positive direction. It was after installing a Khan top plate and some Symposium products to my system that got me thinking…
HI John

What Symposium products did you add and how did they improve things - curious as someone I know rates very highly.

Thanks

HI John

What Symposium products did you add and how did they improve things - curious as someone I know rates very highly.

Thanks

Symposium Segue under LP12 and integrated amp. Svelte under Tannoy 1000’s. Svelte Plus and Rollerblock Jr’s under Tannoy System DMT 15’s.

Check out Symposium’s website. The products do what they what they describe.

I got a quote for 2 sets (Rollerblocks) for my loudspeakers and have decided to make my own and see if they improve the sound for me and deal with the floor resonance problem.

If they work I will then think again as to how to get a robust solution in place (my approach might not be that reliable to be a long term solution to start with).

In trying to find a supplier I came across this company which is much cheaper than Symposium:

http://www.ingress-engineering.ca/products-and-services.php

But I have *not* tried them to know whether their solution works.

This is how I’m using their products with my larger Tannoy’s. Here’s a bit from Symposium’s website which describes the recommended usage of their absorption platform with roller bearings:

...if you are using HDSE Rollerblocks in conjunction with a platform under loudspeakers, in which case the platform should be placed directly under the speaker, in contact with its cabinet (with no spikes or cones in between), and the HDSE Rollerblocks should then be placed between the platform and the floor. This provides maximum energy drainage and damping to the loudspeaker itself and provides lateral wave isolation and decoupling from returning bass waves which propagate through the floor. This is a powerful combination for realizing the maximum performance a loudspeaker has to offer

Hope this helps.

A bit more regarding the platform:

Is a Symposium Platform an isolation platform?
Our platforms achieve a degree of isolation in the component by absorbing energy from two sources at once: from the component and from the support surface. Our platforms GROUND your component and give vibration that would otherwise be trapped inside of it a place to go, be dissipated as heat, and NOT be reflected back into your component (in either its original form, or a different, supposedly more benign one). You can think of our platforms as a kind of "sponge" for mechanical energy in the upper 8 out of 10 audible octaves- that is, from about the midbass (50-80 Hz or so) on up. These 8 octaves represent the lion's share of musical information, and by far contain most of what is needed to recreate a sense of "realism" and faithfulness to the original performance. But the word "isolation" is overused in this field of audio, because strict "isolation" is not the answer to the larger problem which we need to address, which is vibration control. Mechanical vibration affects the sound produced by your components because it works on the sensitive audio circuitry INSIDE your component, and merely cutting off one of the sources of vibration- the entry point at the feet of the component- without considering other sources, may not solve the problem completely or even adequately. It's important to drain energy from within the component as well as keep other external energy out of it. We therefore feel it is important that "isolation" remain a secondary and not a primary goal in the design of our products, and its role must be kept in proper perspective as only one of a number of disciplines necessary for better sound.

advertisement

Back