advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

I've just got The Big Beat and the Horace Silver from the postie. The Big Beat is playing now and I'm willing to bet on it being the best of the four - two tracks in and it sounds really sensational. If not the others are something special too ;)

Edit: No QC issues to report.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m not sure I need the Humphrey really…

A bit too much of a luxury for me with Christmas around the corner and two young kids in the house, passed on the Byrd too unfortunately (but might change my mind later ;)).

A bit too much of a luxury for me with Christmas around the corner and two young kids in the house, passed on the Byrd too unfortunately (but might change my mind later ;)).
I see the Byrd and Humphrey are from same era and v similar musicians/producers…which is a tad intriguing

My copy of ‘6 Pieces of Silver’ just arrived from Amazon. I have a Music Matters 2x45rpm of ‘The Big Beat’ so passed on that and in my new attempt to be more selective with these and the Tone Poets I passed on both the Byrd and Humphrey especially As I only needed one play of the previous BN80 Bobbie Humphrey to decide that was not for me. :D;)

Listening to Places And Spaces. It’s very 1975! Could be the soundtrack for one of the lesser blaxploitation films. Cool but possibly not essential. All spot on re pressing etc.

Listening to Places And Spaces. It’s very 1975! Could be the soundtrack for one of the lesser blaxploitation films. Cool but possibly not essential. All spot on re pressing etc.

No one's taken on my bet on The Big Beat yet ;) I still think it's a really excellent release - up there with Maiden Voyage and Out To Lunch

One could, If one was being lazy, give Fancy Dancer pretty much the same review as I gave Places And Spaces. But with more flute.

Peas from the same pod. Both Mizel Brothers productions, recorded in the same month, in the same studio, with some of the same session musicians.

I can see how these aren't to everyone's taste - they're obviously far closer to 70s Motown/R&B/jazz funk than the hard bop that makes up most of Blue Note's catalogue - but I'm really glad they're being reissued. I think they're great records.

P.S. I've just noticed that Dorothy Ashby plays harp on Fancy Dancer!

Peas from the same pod. Both Mizel Brothers productions, recorded in the same month, in the same studio, with some of the same session musicians.

I can see how these aren't to everyone's taste - they're obviously far closer to 70s Motown/R&B/jazz funk than the hard bop that makes up most of Blue Note's catalogue - but I'm really glad they're being reissued. I think they're great records.

P.S. I've just noticed that Dorothy Ashby plays harp on Fancy Dancer!
Yeah I don’t dislike them and in fact really like that style/era of music but both are just a bit MOR almost for me. Need more balls. For want of better description.

No one's taken on my bet on The Big Beat yet ;) I still think it's a really excellent release - up there with Maiden Voyage and Out To Lunch
Gavreid, IMHO musically not a patch on the other two and not the best Blakey album by a few, but pretty good. For SQ my MM 2x45rpm of it sounds first rate so I would expect KC & JH would have done a good job with the Classic as well if my copy of Maiden Voyage is anything to judge by.

Gavreid, IMHO musically not a patch on the other two and not the best Blakey album by a few, but pretty good. For SQ my MM 2x45rpm of it sounds first rate so I would expect KC & JH would have done a good job with the Classic as well if my copy of Maiden Voyage is anything to judge by.

I agree, musically not in the same league but a really super pressing. The Silver's very good too.

Get them while you can
Universal just increased List & Dealer pricing for BN classic , Tone Poets & Acoustic Sound Series

Ken hates the Donald Byrd, reckons it’s “a right dog” and one to avoid. I’d best move that to my ‘research more first’ list! I’ve ordered the Bobbi Humphery…

advertisement

Back