advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Pretty much anything I'd buy is sold out. The rest is awaiting stock which is always a risk in terms of long waits or items not coming back into stock.

I wish they'd add a filter so you can see what is available.

I can't quite work out the exclusions either. I've got all of the 10th December releases in my basket and two of them are discounted, two are not, so it's not just a case of all pre-orders being excluded.

The TPs are good value at £23 each for those who need any, but as kjb says, 'more stock coming soon' means you could be waiting a while in my experience.

Did anyone pre-order the latest Classic releases from the Blue Note store? I still haven't received my Byrd and Humphrey which I ordered a month or so ago :(

Did anyone pre-order the latest Classic releases from the Blue Note store? I still haven't received my Byrd and Humphrey which I ordered a month or so ago :(

No. I read on the Hoffman forum that it's best to stick to in-stock items from the Blue Note UK store, else they can be a bit of a nightmare....

Just spinning the Bobbi Humphrey, really cool rare groove/funk stuff, the sort of thing I imagine would be played at Studio 54 etc. Sounds superb through big Tannoys, they really do like funk, soul, disco etc. Seems like a great pressing, I’m only on side 1 so far, but flawless and possibly the flattest LP I’ve ever seen so far (from the listening seat I can see the SME arm bearing assembly reflected in the record surface and there is always some slight ripple even on great pressings (even on acetates!), but this one is actually flat!).

PS Is she maybe the only female Blue Note artist until the modern era (Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson, Kandace Springs etc)? Can’t bring anyone else to mind (I know Shirley Scott played on some albums of other artists, but her lead albums were on Impulse to my knowledge). Anyone else?

Just spinning the Bobbi Humphrey, really cool rare groove/funk stuff, the sort of thing I imagine would be played at Studio 54 etc. Sounds superb through big Tannoys, they really do like funk, soul, disco etc. Seems like a great pressing, I’m only on side 1 so far, but flawless and possibly the flattest LP I’ve ever seen so far (from the listening seat I can see the SME arm bearing assembly reflected in the record surface and there is always some slight ripple even on great pressings (even on acetates!), but this one is actually flat!).

PS Is she maybe the only female Blue Note artist until the modern era (Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson, Kandace Springs etc)? Can’t bring anyone else to mind (I know Shirley Scott played on some albums of other artists, but her lead albums were on Impulse to my knowledge). Anyone else?

Dodo Greene and Sheila Jordan both singers and both a solitary album I believe

She was indeed. What a shame that her negative experiences as a women playing jazz led to her stopping playing altogether.

Here's her obit from 2003 in the Indy

"Such was her lack of respect for her own talent that she never thought that the three jazz albums she had made for Blue Note records would earn royalties for her over the years. In 1980 her friend the alto saxophonist Lee Konitz told the company where she lived, and Blue Note was finally able to pay her $40,000 in royalties going back to the Fifties."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/jutta-hipp-36442.html

I’m trying Fancy Dancer again. Volume helps. And being slightly inebriated on a summers afternoon, possibly. Be a while before I can confirm the latter.

advertisement

Back