advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

I didn't think that was due for release until next week - at least not according the the Blue Note website. A record out ahead of schedule :eek:

My pre order of the Kevin Gray remaster of Nina Simone's Little Girl Blue has just been delayed for the third time.

I got mine from Juno as usual - I think you're right, it did sneak under the radar a little

Dec

Kenny Cox - Introducing Kenny Cox And The Contemporary Jazz Quintet
Herbie Nichols - The Prophetic Herbie Nichols Vol. 1 & 2
Jimmy Smith - Home Cookin'
Reuben Wilson - Love Bug

Popped down the road again to pick up a copy - which is good for my Sunday steps.

Agree with the above - it's a beautiful sounding record ( esp the trumpet tone) and no QA issues. Mind you I still prefer Hubbard as a sideman rather than as a leader.

I've been very lucky with the BN classics I've bought so far: they've all been on the money.

I picked up a copy of Jimmy Smith's "Back at the Chicken Shack" yesterday. Despite not being impressed with what the record looks like under decent light (a 43 year old used record I bought at the same time looks better) it plays ok aside from what sounds like a split second of stitch distortion and 2 pops during the last track. Not exactly flawless but it'll stay.

I'll be honest: as great as the music and mastering is for these titles, I'm likely to buy far less of them than I otherwise would because each purchase feels like a roll of the dice and I'm frankly sick of having to get replacements/refunds for them.

Third time lucky for me with Out to Lunch.

Just playing my copy for the first time. Bought it at the Daventry show so no chance to send it back really. Funny noises appear on the first track…fingers crossed for the rest of the record. On the positive side, I’d forgotten how good this album is!

Just playing my copy for the first time. Bought it at the Daventry show so no chance to send it back really. Funny noises appear on the first track…fingers crossed for the rest of the record. On the positive side, I’d forgotten how good this album is!
Yeah, 1st track was where my 1st two copies had the flaw, I think the rest of the record was fine. It’s the worst-sounding of all the many vinyl flaws IMO. But yes, on the other hand it revealed to me for the first time just how good the music is.

Has anyone tried pre ordering one of the latest Classic series from Amazon. I tried a number of times to pre order the Horace Silver 6 Pieces of Silver: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GXD84MN/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
but when I try to go to check out from my basket I get a message that this item is not deliverable to my home address in Essex UK on my Prime Account despite the price being in £'s and that I have ordered a few Classics and most BN80's from Amazon before. I spent a useless 20 minutes on the phone with Amazon's (in India it seems) call centre and they could not give me any explanation. I suggested it may be due to delivery is indicated from Amazon's EU SurL address (Brexit?) although I have had deliveries in the past from there without a problem. I also said I had the same problem with the Tone Poet (USA manufactured) Ornette Coleman Box Set that I tried repeatedly to preorder a few days ago as at a better price than expected in the UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GF6NRTY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
They still couldn't give me an answer as to whether or not this was the case and could not refer me to someone who could. So is anyone having the same problem with these in the UK now or do I just give up and wait till I can try to get it elsewhere?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That’s an annoying mystery. Can’t really help as I just go through a regular indie dealer, he can be more expensive but I always get the chance for every release (and I mean everything…some truly awful stuff!)

Yes this is a mystery as they have no idea and it has never happened to me before and is only so far on these records. I don't any indie dealers near, but I don't always buy from Amazon. It is though usually better for me for pre orders with likely delays as I have Prime and and they don't charge till despatched. Tony also benefits a little if I go from any link here to the site.

Might be worth clearing all cookies and trying again. Your location might have got screwed up somehow. I just managed to pre-order (and cancel) the Horace Silver (link). I’ve already got a decent enough copy of that one (Pathe Marconi IIRC).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Tony, thanks I did try two different PC's and my laptop should not have Amazon cookies on it. I will try what you suggested.

Might be worth clearing all cookies and trying again. Your location might have got screwed up somehow. I just managed to pre-order (and cancel) the Horace Silver (link). I’ve already got a decent enough copy of that one (Pathe Marconi IIRC).
Well I cleared all history and cookies as you suggested on two different computers and on my IPad. Ran malware and virus scans. Rebooted my router a couple of times. Deleted and reset my default and delivery address in my Amazon account. Tried sending to my partner at our same address As a gift. None of this works and the problem extends to all the different Tone Poet and Blue Note Classics record pre orders I have now tried. Still get Thevmessage that they can't deliver to my address. Other things Items originating in the UK seem unaffected, at least a few days ago when this first occurred. It seems to be just my account with records delivered via Amazon EU SarL?

So I had my partner try from her Amazon login on the same joint Prime account and that worked for the Horace Silver Preorder to our same address. I had her keep this preorder and will have to pay her when it's delivered. I'm finding this totally bizarre and annoying and still getting no help resolving it from Amazon customer service. So they have lost some orders from me.

I don't want to order from Amazon but it doesn't seem to be stopping me from ordering.

I was watching 45 rpm's overview of the first batch of the Classic Series yesterday. I agree with his conclusion that the quality improved as the series progressed. I don't have them all (being a bit late to the party) but I do have a dozen - the only one I realy wanted but didn't get was the Horace Silver; I've got the US 75, but it's weaker than any of the classic series. I missed out on The Real McCoy, Speak No Evil, Somethin' Else but I'm still looking (please shout if you see these back in stock,) and I passed on the Christmas album (I'm sure it's a great listen though).

I think the two recent dual releases were the highlight for me Midnight Blue / Idle Moments (the guitar tone is really well done on the Grant Green) and Out To Lunch / Maiden Voyage. I was lucky to get good copies it seems (apart from what proved to be an inaudible surface mark on IM). The series progressed as I changed my amps to Sugden AAs but I'm listening again to the earlier releases with this in mind. I hope they go back to reissuing the big classics after this second round and if the QC issues can be put to bed - they really ought to be in print as all analogue pressings at these 'good' prices, even without the tip on jackets.

I contacted Amazon again about my ongoing problem above and got someone much more helpful this time. He agreed I had done everything possible at my end and recognised it was Amazon’s problem. He couldn’t solve it himself but has escalated upwards and says they will resolve it within 48 hours and gave me a £10 voucher discount that I can apply to the record stuck in my basket.

That’s the pre order BN Classic Herbie Nichols - The Prophetic Vol. 1 & 2. I have a decent CD copy, but have always wanted a good vinyl copy. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09K26HM4H/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
And that one is a true Classic ;)
I also got my partner to pre order the Classic series Horace Silver Six Pieces Of Silver that was giving me problems. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GXD84MN/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

So I hope Gavreid and others are right and Optimal have got their act together on QC now. As I had good copies of nearly all the previous Classics I seem to have avoided the earlier QC problems that many were having. I did order two though Jimmy Smith - Chicken Shack and Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage and they were fine. The 2 copies I had of Maiden Voyage were pretty good, but the Classic was still a step up.

advertisement

Back