advertisement

The Olympics 2020/1 Japan.

got rejected for Paris 2024 as well

I would like to know on what basis they denied Squash entry to the Olympics?

I played for a few years, I wasn’t that good, but I recognise the skill required. Sweaty game as well, and I hit the wall a few times.

Note: I think Darts should be in the Olympics. It is a skilful sport.
Also, it is inexpensive and access is relatively easy.

Why is "team GB" still competing for "Great Britain" and how do athletes from other parts of UK feel about it?

- I remember how angry was part of UK press and public recently when Macron mentioned britannique, when talking about "Brexit".

Edit: genuine question and sorry for OT.

So... the skateboarding...

I saw some of the men's and now the women's is on.

They are almost always falling off (men and women). Not exactly Olympian, if you ask me..

Street skateboarding is the most uninspiring sport I have ever had the misfortune to watch.

I quite agree. Very dull course. None of the skaterboarders (or 'da skaaterz' as they no doubt call themselves) looked any good. Not surprised it was won by a 13-year-old (who fell off her skateboard). Shocking that they allow this and yet no Olympic darts.

I agree, not worthy of an Olympic sport in my opinion but others will disagree - good job we don't all have the same views and are able to make comments on this forum.

Of the 5 new sports (baseball/softball, karate, skateboard, sports climbing and surfing) I'm really looking forward to the sports climbing.

Happened to watch the table tennis yesterday. I had forgotten an exciting game it is.

Yes, fantastic isn't it ! Lot's of good stuff to watch.

And I love strawberries.

CHE

Having seen the impact of a knee injury caused by sport when young in later life, i have to disagree. The rest was just being flippant.

Why is "team GB" still competing for "Great Britain" and how do athletes from other parts of UK feel about it?

- I remember how angry was part of UK press and public recently when Macron mentioned britannique, when talking about "Brexit".

Edit: genuine question and sorry for OT.
The athletes probably don’t care, they are focused on getting to the Olympics. Why try to divert this down a nationalist dead end? There ate at least two other threads for that;)

The athletes probably don’t care, they are focused on getting to the Olympics. Why try to divert this down a nationalist dead end? There ate at least two other threads for that;)

Sorry sorry, I'm not britannique, and I'm a bit confused.
But! Olympics - and sport in general - is exactly the essence of nationalist dead end??

Don't mind me, please continue. - To return to topic: I was very excited with Pidcock's performance yesterday, and the whole XC event, very tough course. Shame about MVDP, would be interesting to see, how he would do without the crash.

And very fascinated with 17 years old Lydia Jacoby's gold in 100m breaststroke.

Sorry sorry, I'm not britannique, and I'm a bit confused.
But! Olympics - and sport in general - is exactly the essence of nationalist dead end??

Don't mind me, please continue - I was very excited with Pidcock's performance yesterday, and the whole XC event. Shame about MVDP, would be interesting to see, how he would do without the crash.

And very fascinated with 17 years old Lydia Jacoby's gold in 100m breaststroke.
It’s just that there is a thread on nationalism & the Olympics, why can’t we just have a positive thread about sporting achievement?

I don’t equate wanting athletes to do well with nationalism, only politicians use sport in this way & it’s deplorable.

It’s just that there is a thread on nationalism & the Olympics, why can’t we just have a positive thread about sporting achievement?

There was a thread started to celebrate the achievements and positives of the Olympics.
I started it, and made it very clear that the thread was to point out positives from the opening post.
@Tony L has decided to merge it with a different subject, for what reason I do not know.

Mine was 200m butterfly. Junior county record for Notts in my younger days. 2:15.4 does not seem quick now, it was a long time ago. Best I managed for 1500 free was about 18:05.

That's seriously good tho, would be world record in 1950! Pretty much my time for 800m free. But I can't do 200 butterfly either, no matter the amount of time. But I'm OT again!

To return to thread: I love the new sports in Olympics, especially the more "urban" ones, skateboarding, BMX... Looking forward to climbing.

You clearly can't have track and field only, even the most conservative would need to include some gymnastics and some forms of bare hands fighting, but then of course also fencing... and since you have all that, you have to include archery and at least some forms of shooting...

And then, before you realize, you have all the disciplines of today's Olympics.

There was a thread started to celebrate the achievements and positives of the Olympics.
I started it, and made it very clear that the thread was to point out positives from the opening post.
@Tony L has decided to merge it with a different subject, for what reason I do not know.

I’ve merged two threads, just sticking the ‘Olympics & nationalism’ one into the main Olympics thread as the premise for that one was pretty thin and it shifted to general event discussion very quickly, thus duplicating content. I haven’t even noticed another one!

me too. We were sat in a pub a few weeks back and they had some climbing on their big screen - it was engrossing

I don't care too much about speed climbing, looks funny though, but the other two disciplines are very fascinating.

I’m surprised they don’t have same age restrictions on skateboarding as they have on gymnastics.

I’m annoyed so many Russians (300+) allowed to compete, it makes a sham of doping regulations and state organised cheating. Supposedly they are not competing for mother Russia , but you can pretty much guarantee when they win stuff it will not be portrayed that way. Fingers crossed one of them fails a drug test :D

advertisement

Back