advertisement

Big life change and everthing is now for sale

Just spent 3 long months helping a friend buy a house in a chain, one end was in Cornwall and it collapsed yesterday which is very upsetting

650 miles in the last 2 days :eek:
Yesterday 400 mile round trip , Nice house nice everything but sadly all to small
Today 250 round trip , A lot better area for me more rural in a Cul De Sac location with only 10 homes in the location , Does have some issues , 15 solar panels on the roof with all the electrical gubbins in the garage , The house is empty no chain and is for sale due to bereavement , The house is stained brown with nicotine even the upstairs white curtain rails are stained brown :( Afull strip out of wallpaper and carpets , Clean everything and a re paint
I did put in a offer but not the asking price , One previous sale fell through , The agents sale board saying SOLD was still in the front garden o_O

Time will tell , I need to stay optimistic :D
yes solar panels can be a pain , nightmare if leased as they own the roof and so often they have gone bust .

I would never buy a house in a cul de sac in a million years.

I lived in one for twelve years and hated every minute.

I have lived in a cul de sac for nearly 30 years, by choice. I picked the house because of the perceived HiFi room, and the view. It still suits the original purpose, and The Wife likes it.

(I could do with a lavatory downstairs, but use the garden to wee on - )

I have lived in a cul de sac for nearly 30 years, by choice. I picked the house because of the perceived HiFi room, and the view. It still suits the original purpose, and The Wife likes it.

(I could do with a lavatory downstairs, but use the garden to wee on - )

The house I am looking at has 2 , 1 up 1 down :)

The house I am looking at has 2 , 1 up 1 down :)
That's enough. They all have to be cleaned after all. Modern developments have an obsession with ensuite bathrooms. I saw the details for one place, a town house on 3 floors. Ground floor was garage, utility, downstairs loo. Fair enough. No need to climb stairs when you come in from the garden. Next up, 1st floor kitchen, dining, lounge. OK. Top floor, 3 beds, 2 ensuite, 1 family bathroom. FFS. So 3 beds, 3 bathrooms, plus downstairs loo. How many people are getting washed at once? It all uses space, you can imagine the place wasn't exactly huge, it costs money and it all needs cleaning, whether it's used or not. But clearly this is what buyers want of they would buy elsewhere.

We're now looking around Torquay/Bay - we've a couple of good friends that live there so have that social side - it's also a much bigger place, there's a hospital (for an underlying health issue of mine) and the sea! We think this is where we'll now end up - we still like Wareham and will be back camping that way this August, maybe there will be our longer term retirement place...

You lucky man. I love, love, love the Torbay area. I have such lovely memories of it from childhood holidays. Sunshine, clear seas and palm trees.

You lucky man. I love, love, love the Torbay area. I have such lovely memories of it from childhood holidays. Sunshine, clear seas and palm trees.
You'd be surprised how many of these plants aren't actually palms but are palm-like in appearance.

The tall trees you see at the seaside are Cordyline australis also known as the cabbage palm. In my garden (on the coast) I've actually got taller trees that are palm-like such as Trachycarpus fortunei also known as the Chusan palm. I won't bore you with any more.

Cheers,

DV

You'd be surprised how many of these plants aren't actually palms but are palm-like in appearance.

The tall trees you see at the seaside are Cordyline australis also known as the cabbage palm. In my garden (on the coast) I've actually got taller trees that are palm-like such as Trachycarpus fortunei also known as the Chusan palm. I won't bore you with any more.

Cheers,

DV
Happy to be corrected DV. They seemed very exotic to a small boy from Blackpool. Even the reddish-brown soil was different.

Happy to be corrected DV. They seemed very exotic to a small boy from Blackpool. Even the reddish-brown soil was different.
Strange though it may seem I saw a mature specimen of Cordyline australis in a front garden in Oldham years ago when I had to visit SSL International (amongst other things they made Marigold gloves and Durex). It struck me as unusual (especially as the house was on a hill) as I always associated them with coastal areas.

Cheers,

DV

That's enough. They all have to be cleaned after all. Modern developments have an obsession with ensuite bathrooms. I saw the details for one place, a town house on 3 floors. Ground floor was garage, utility, downstairs loo. Fair enough. No need to climb stairs when you come in from the garden. Next up, 1st floor kitchen, dining, lounge. OK. Top floor, 3 beds, 2 ensuite, 1 family bathroom. FFS. So 3 beds, 3 bathrooms, plus downstairs loo. How many people are getting washed at once? It all uses space, you can imagine the place wasn't exactly huge, it costs money and it all needs cleaning, whether it's used or not. But clearly this is what buyers want of they would buy elsewhere.
Open the window and hose down the shrubbery below.

yes had a quick trip to b@Q in torquay recently

That reminds me that a neighbour, in the first lockdown, wanted some DIY stuff, but was concerned about the numbers of people going to our local B & Q. so he phoned the store and asked " can you please tell me how long the queue is outside your store?"

After a wait while the assistant went to look, he came back and said " hard to tell, but I think it's about as long as the B"

Friend sold a house today at above the asking price ...it's in a flood risk area , not much parking , 2 weeks ago a man and his pregnant wife had the car windscreen bashed In and a month ago the factory in the back garden burnt down with many firemen in attendance !! I am rather incredulous but huge demand I guess and it was nice inside!!

Update on Exeter. Knight Frank are selling everything as soon as it comes on the market at way over the asking price. The property which had 140 requests for viewings at offers around £800k sold in less than 2 weeks for £1.05 million. It needs about £300k more on internal works spent on it too. Same situation for all their other properties in spite of the stamp duty holiday tapering.

advertisement

Back