advertisement

Don't let anyone tell you mains supply doesn't matter

1) I may have had "better" or cleaner source from the generator - although from a users perspective it was less consistent during this time - lights dimmed throughout the house when high usage devices like the oven or shower were switched on and , musically, the hi fi sounded flat and under-powered
The generator is (obviously) impervious to interference from other things on the grid, like nearby industrial loads. On the other hand, it probably lacks the sheer reserve power of the main grid, making it more prone to fluctuate in voltage and frequency as loads come and go.

2) The new mains cable might be delivering more consistent power leading to an improvement
That's certainly possible.

Reactions: kjb
Sometimes when my neighbour uses some kind of machine he has, the lights dim in one of the bedrooms. Not sure what he’s using over there.

Then today I noticed my Croft preamp was quiet when I switched it on when usually it buzzes a bit, then after a while it went quiet, then started getting louder again. The Croft power amp was doing it too but not as noticeably for the most part. Overall it has been quieter than previous days since I got it but I’ve no idea what’s going on - sounded lovely playing vinyl anyway. These are the non-regulated power supply versions, it that’s any indication?

Then today I noticed my Croft preamp was quiet when I switched it on when usually it buzzes a bit, then after a while it went quiet, then started getting louder again. The Croft power amp was doing it too but not as noticeably for the most part. Overall it has been quieter than previous days since I got it but I’ve no idea what’s going on - sounded lovely playing vinyl anyway. These are the non-regulated power supply versions, it that’s any indication?
I have this problem with a particular amplifier. Toroidal transformers are sensitive to DC in the mains which can fluctuate through the day. From what I understand, the larger the transformer the more it’s affected. In my case the noise is amplified by the amp’s resonant tin box casework. Good thing is that it doesn’t affect the SQ.

I have this problem with a particular amplifier. Toroidal transformers are sensitive to DC in the mains which can fluctuate through the day. From what I understand, the larger the transformer the more it’s affected. In my case the noise is amplified by the amp’s resonant tin box casework. Good thing is that it doesn’t affect the SQ.

The 25 doesn’t use a toroidal transformer, can’t remember whether the 7 does *

Right now, the buzzing from the 7 is getting louder then quieter every 30 seconds in a sort of wave-like pattern. The 25 is pretty quiet. I’ve no idea what is going on!

* Just checked, it has a frame and a toroid.

I find without the mains supply..my hifi doesn't work! So having a mains supply matters a lot..I hope this helps..

I’d have to agree. It’s just a shame that I seem to have all sorts of weird problems with equipment that no-one else seems to experience or knows how to remedy. It keeps happening year after year.

The 25 doesn’t use a toroidal transformer, can’t remember whether the 7 does *

Right now, the buzzing from the 7 is getting louder then quieter every 30 seconds in a sort of wave-like pattern. The 25 is pretty quiet. I’ve no idea what is going on!

* Just checked, it has a frame and a toroid.
Perhaps try it at another address when you get the opportunity? Do you have another amp to compare it with?

Perhaps try it at another address when you get the opportunity? Do you have another amp to compare it with?

I’m gonna try it in my second system upstairs at some point. It’s not a huge issue, just weird and niggling. I’ll take the pair to my Dad’s house when I can.

Try using a really good set of mains. Crimson is making ultra high quality for there
Crimson preamps and Power amps and as you can see by the photo they use 2 huge
toroidal transformers in each mono block and with there solid core mains and hospital grade plugs there’s absolutely no hum. This will make a huge difference
in the sound and should stop the hum. Now I-know the US importer as they you only get them with there products. But the US importer will help folks get ultra quality mains hers his email [email protected] give him a try plus
he’s extremely reasonable.

you're persistent if nothing else

I've achieved good performance gains improving my mains. I do not have a dedicated consumer unit, I would go down this route if it's easy to do.

My system sits on a ring main with PC equipment, modems with smps, several phone and tablet chargers, 5 dc pumps on a fish tank , fixed LEDs and dimmable LEDs.

I use an Isotek Sigmas gen 2 and a DIY DC blocker inline to the power supply that feeds it. Oyaide power cable made a small improvement too as did SR blue and orange fuses, and putting LPS on word clock and Ethernet switch in the system.

I remember that once upon a time (way before Naim got into $$$$ cables) a member of either this forum or the Naim one posted a pdf explanation of his hi-fi mains ring installation (from mains board to plugs: fuse, type of wires, etc.). Anyone remember that? I would like to get a hold of it again now that I'm having the electricity redone. And something tells me it can be more efficient than spending $$$ on the last few meters of cable...

And something tells me it can be more efficient than spending $$$ on the last few meters of cable...

Being an audiophile twists your ability to logically assess value. An audiophile will happily spend thousands on an improvement which is no bigger than one which can be achieved for a fraction of the money by other means. And they don't find this behaviour at all unreasonable. In fact they will often defend it aggressively!

Without a doubt, the addition of a Mains Conditioning Unit was a major step-change forward for me. I live in a semi-rural location where the mains can best be described as dirty and variable.

Strangely, the improvement was much more pronounced on the digital side of things than on the analogue side.

I've sometimes considered making a super quality mains regenerator, guaranteed to be the best ever... and sold with a guarantee that any improvement heard is all a figment of the imagination.

advertisement

Back