advertisement

Don't let anyone tell you mains supply doesn't matter

lolsign.gif

...I would add that I'm always willing to change my mind, *IF* someone can successfully demonstrate, thus convince me I'm wrong.
Ah, that doesn’t really fit my theory... judging from the number of posts I’ve ever seen saying ‘sorry, I was wrong about that all along and you were correct’ I reckon FZ was at least 90% correct when he said...

“One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people’s minds.”

Of course, from a subjectivist stance most audio stuff is a matter of opinion/taste, so it's not possible to be 'wrong', so it's hard to see how you could, or would want to, change someone's mind.

This is less so when dealing with obvious nonsense like the Q-Anon theories which were briefly embraced by some feeble-minded people, who are now either claiming they were brain-washed by Fox News, or are in denial about the whole thing.

Ah, that doesn’t really fit my theory... judging from the number of posts I’ve ever seen saying ‘sorry, I was wrong about that all along and you were correct’ I reckon FZ was at least 90% correct when he said...

“One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people’s minds.”

Good quote - like it!

I'm being totally honest, though. I'm not some stubborn old intransigent, too proud to back down in an argument and admit defeat. I'd even allow Jez to try and convince me I'm 'imagining' hearing differences with earth rods or mains cables!:D:p

*BUT*, it'd have to be done via a practical (sighted) demonstration [simply quoting the laws of physics at me, in circumstances where I didn't think they fully applied, or acted as a definitive rule, would be a total waste of time], and where both of us were in the same room, listening to the same thing, after I'd effected what I'd considered was an upgrade, and he could attempt to explain/point out what I was supposedly 'imagining' - and IF I thought he was right, I'd admit it and alter my views accordingly. I'm being completely serious!

However, would he do the same, if the opposite applied?

Absolutely NO chance!! Because he's way too stubborn and 'married' to his scientific belief system. In his world (and that of others of his mindset), everything is either black or white - there are no shades of grey. Nothing new to learn. You only have to see how he behaved (ranted) on this thread earlier, as comical as it was. for ample evidence of that.

And btw, I say all this in a spirit of playfulness, without malice, but it's also what I honestly think.

Of course, from a subjectivist stance most audio stuff is a matter of opinion/taste, so it's not possible to be 'wrong', so it's hard to see how you could, or would want to, change someone's mind.
I tried to write a thoughtful reply, then re-drafted it twice, then thought ‘you know, I don’t really care and I bet Joe doesn’t either’ and wrote this instead.

No gumption, that’s my problem.

I tried to write a thoughtful reply, then re-drafted it twice, then thought ‘you know, I don’t really care and I bet Joe doesn’t either’ and decided to write this instead.

I can picture the scene; Arkless and Marco listening to a piece of music, frowns of concentration etched on their faces. Will Arkless register any emotion? Will Marco suddenly realise that his earth rods are making no difference?

No gumption, that’s my problem.

You and me both.

When Mrs H was nobbut a lass, she used Gumption to clean the taps at her school. We were more of an Ajax family.

I can picture the scene; Arkless and Marco listening to a piece of music, frowns of concentration etched on their faces. Will Arkless register any emotion? Will Marco suddenly realise that his earth rods are making no difference?

Lol.. Aye, summat like that!:D

When Mrs H was nobbut a lass, she used Gumption to clean the taps at her school. We were more of an Ajax family.
We might have had Gumption - I probably wasn’t allowed near it. Probably no bad thing, I see it called itself a ‘smooth cleaning paste’ and I tried using one of those (Astonish) on the outside of a frying pan last week. I rubbed the crusted stain off remarkably quickly, unfortunately right down to bare metal.

We might have had Gumption - I probably wasn’t allowed near it. Probably no bad thing, I see it called itself a ‘smooth cleaning paste’ and I tried using one of those (Astonish) on the outside of a frying pan last week. I rubbed the crusted stain off remarkably quickly, unfortunately right down to bare metal.

I'm always wary around cleaning materials. I bought some oven cleaning gubbins a while back, but after reading the instructions it seemed that I was likely to either die from inhaling the fumes, or burn the house down next time I turned the oven on. So it's still sat on the shelf in the utility room. I might summon up the courage to use it when the weather's warmed up and i can have all the doors and windows open.

More recently, I read online that baking powder mixed to a paste with water was a good way of removing grease from wooden kitchen cabinets. I tried it and it worked a treat, except on one section (unfortunately in quite a visible place) where I either scrubbed too hard or made the paste too strong, and got back to the bare wood. I'm hoping the grease will build up quickly.

I'm being totally honest, though. I'm not some stubborn old intransigent, too proud to back down in an argument and admit defeat. I'd even allow Jez to try and convince me I'm 'imagining' hearing differences with earth rods or mains cables!:D:p

How is it possible to imagine hearing a difference? Hearing is not like the output of a microphone it is the sum of the senses and learnt experience. To some extent everything we hear has a significant component of imagination (if we are a bit loose with the meaning of the word). There is every chance you are hearing differences when playing about with the mains supply. You are likely to be a bit wonky on the causes, the value, the existence of differences in the physical sense, the degree others may hear them, etc... but not hearing differences.

Because he's way too stubborn and 'married' to his scientific belief system. In his world (and that of others of his mindset), everything is either black or white - there are no shades of grey. Nothing new to learn.

You will have been taught what science is as a child and really ought to refresh that knowledge. Science is black and white which is what makes it reliable. The outcome of every experiment has to match the prediction of a scientific theory or else that theory must be discarded as a scientific one (although it may still be retained for other purposes such as marketing for overpriced hardware). Not some, mostly, all but one but all. Occasionally bounds may be applicable (e.g. Newton's 2nd law and light speeds) but the bounds are part of the scientific theory.

Good quote - like it!

I'm being totally honest, though. I'm not some stubborn old intransigent, too proud to back down in an argument and admit defeat.

Do you admit you were wrong about Donald Trump's mysterious backers who were going to lock up the Clintons, Obama, Bill Gates, the Rothschilds etc?

advertisement

Back