advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

Here is my system it's 2.1 streaming all digital
Similar priority to mine, I will be very interested in your thoughts given the sub-woofer aspect, so how significant are the speaker cable improvements given that the active sub takes care of the lowest 2-3 octaves (from a theoritical 10 audible octave range, so about 25%). Feedback on the LS-40's from others seems to be based on a pair of speakers running full-range.

Are your comments earlier in the thread with the subs in or out, you mention improvements in drums and bass.

[Edited for octave misinfo]

Last edited:
And their review of a speaker cable that is way outside my affordability criteria. @ABCaudio would it be worth sending them a review pair?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazi..._Audio_Fidelium_Loudspeaker_Cables_Review.htm
"these are the most accurate, authentic, and most honest sounding loudspeaker cables I've ever heard, regardless of price!"

They would be most welcome to. I spoke (emailed) with their creative editor Steven Rochlin late last year about it, but they weren't interested. I thought it a shame, I don't really look at hi-fi reviews or the press but I quite liked their site.

Industry reviews are really something i should push, but I just don't know how.

Rajive

I cross my sub in at 80hz , with a 4th order Butterworth digital crossover. The Jern naturally roll off the woofer at about 90dB. I've fiddled with this by ear and I like the results. Most recordings mono the bass here or higher anyway. The Lyngdorf is my only real effort towards the room acoustics but it does a fantastic job. My room is about 20ft by 15 ft And the ceiling is about 9ft.

So it's 2 octaves for the subwoofer audible but at that level there is not much music that doesn't have some content or harmonics coming out the woofer of the Jern 80hz plus.

Impact for me is the bass is still noticeably better but I would put that behind the impact on the top end, behind improvements to soundstage behind the better leading edges.

The first album I listened to which I also played on the ls25 is Grace Jones , The Masters Collection. Redbook streamed on Qobuz. The soundstage on this recording is a work of art, lots of layers lots of panning articles across the soundstage. I would buy these cables solely on improvements to soundstage (as when I hear this it almost always delivers improvements elsewhere as it does here).

My woofers are only 6 inches, I still would like to hear the ls80s , I'm running a 2m pair thankfully will they deliver value I think it's not just about bass but Colin seemed to indicate that the last ounce of performance with the double run is bass centric. To be honest I hope he's right. I'm hitting Leonard Cohen live this evening and it is glorious, Haleluyah ;).

They would be most welcome to. I spoke (emailed) with their creative editor Steven Rochlin late last year about it, but they weren't interested. I thought it a shame, I don't really look at hi-fi reviews or the press but I quite liked their site.

Industry reviews are really something i should push, but I just don't know how.

Alan, irrespective of what anyone might say about Srajan’s (6 Moons) writing style, there is no denying that a lot a people take notice of his recommendations. A positive review from him would generate a lot of orders for you. If you approach him I would definitely give him some history about Colin and mention the unusually high cost of production in relation to RRP.

Another option is TNT Audio. They would almost certainly accept a review offer and they have at least one reviewer in the UK. They accept no advertising so are not concerned with the size of your advertising budget!

I'm smashing through some of my favourite YouTube live performances this morning. Awesome :D. my 9 year old tells me she thinks they sound great.

Wondering if I should recalibrate the Lyngdorf.

Alan, irrespective of what anyone might say about Srajan’s (6 Moons) writing style, there is no denying that a lot a people take notice of his recommendations. A positive review from him would generate a lot of orders for you. If you approach him I would definitely give him some history about Colin and mention the unusually high cost of production in relation to RRP.

Another option is TNT Audio. They would almost certainly accept a review offer and they have at least one reviewer in the UK. They accept no advertising so are not concerned with the size of your advertising budget!

He seems to do quite ok on here, no sarcasm.

Orders would go through the roof if there was a strongly positive review on 6 moons. Ask Pal Nagy of icOn AVC fame.

He seems to do quite ok on here, no sarcasm.

Absolutely, it's a fair point. And I appreciate the support, I know Colin does too. Since the last wave of CV-19 and Brexit, over half of sales have been in the UK for us and pfm is a huge part of that.

My earlier comment was not a complaint, rather an observation about the learning curve I'm on. I still have a (part time) day job, so even having a pfm trade account for ABCaudio feels odd; I've been a standard member here for fifteen years. I'm just feeling my way towards making it into some sort of a sustainable business, without losing the individual connection with the community. I don't really know how to proceed, and I don't want to lose 'this' either, ruining the hobby with loads of pressure. Which is why I'm not pushing too hard at the moment.

I didn’t even think about the fact that I’m running two little REL subs!

I’m definitely getting more bass, and more importantly - more controlled bass with the LS40, but my main improvement is a wider, more detailed soundstage. Guess the extra bass is happening pre-crossover.

I wouldn’t have called myself a cable-sceptic prior to this, having tried QED, Rega and Tellurium in quick succession, but I didn’t think I’d get such an improvement. It’s a similar upgrade for me from going from the Elex-R amp to the Aethos.

I’ve just ordered a pair of LS40 from Alan based on impressions of a set of LS25 that I am trying before they are returned (these were my brothers set that he is returning after buying LS80). My LS40 arrive tomorrow so I’m really looking forward to so listening over the weekend (thanks for an impressively quick turn around to Alan). The LS25 blows my Tellerium Black II out the water so I’m excited to hear what the LS40 do. My teenage son came downstairs a couple of nights ago without knowing I’d swapped my Tellerium for the LS25 and asked why the hifi sounded so much better !

Interesting stuff.... I know others on here who didn't find such a leap from Tellurium Black to LS25 but would to LS40. Could well be system dependent. I'd be surprised if the leap to LS40 isn't more revealing than the improvement you've heard already. Get your wallet ready.........:D

I’ve just ordered a pair of LS40 from Alan based on impressions of a set of LS25 that I am trying before they are returned (these were my brothers set that he is returning after buying LS80). My LS40 arrive tomorrow so I’m really looking forward to so listening over the weekend (thanks for an impressively quick turn around to Alan). The LS25 blows my Tellerium Black II out the water so I’m excited to hear what the LS40 do. My teenage son came downstairs a couple of nights ago without knowing I’d swapped my Tellerium for the LS25 and asked why the hifi sounded so much better !

Noice. I love hearing stuff like that! Although Cliff's wife's review was best: "It looks like a big black snake!".

I will be most impressed if they do arrive tomorrow, as they are still sitting in my hallway for collection tomorrow... We're trying out DPD after several bad experiences with UPS recently. Looks like their automated email thing isn't that good...

Noice. I love hearing stuff like that! Although Cliff's wife's review was best: "It looks like a big black snake!".

I will be most impressed if they do arrive tomorrow, as they are still sitting in my hallway for collection tomorrow... We're trying out DPD after several bad experiences with UPS recently. Looks like their automated email thing isn't that good...

No worries! Sounds like the courier is being optimistic again. I’ve had this with vinyl too from SN. I’m going to try to sneak this one past my wife. She probably won’t notice and I told her the Dynaudio Contour 20i were the last upgrade for YEARS :)

advertisement

Back