advertisement

Ever wondered why recent BMWs look so unspeakably awful*?

Or Kia. Apparently the grille is supposed to look like a tiger baring its teeth.
kiaceed01.jpg

One of the least offensive designs today, IYAM. I think I have noticed that small and cheap cars in general are the least overdesigned in this era, and therefore the best looking. Probably not a coincident, the manufacturers spend an awful lot of time ande money figureing out what the buyers in different market niches want.

The most distinctive, aspirational BMW design of all,

caoBqNS.jpg

we’ll be back in these shortly, battery powered of course.
My uncle, grandfather's brother, had one of those in the late '50s. It was called an "Isetta" in Italy, might have been made under licence in Italy.

I think this is a case of a load of old blokes on a forum not liking new things as they're different to what they grew up with. I personally think BMWs look OK on the whole, but yes they're no E39 or E46 which were IMO the last of the really good looking BMWs. However, it's just my opinion and that's all it is... many people still want to buy them so I have to accept there is no right and wrong. I also don't necessarily think the build quality is any worse when you consider the extra equipment and features people now expect... basically there is a heck of a lot more to go wrong. I have a 57 plate E70 X5 (out of necessity), but it has been uber reliable and has just gone over 100K miles, my mate has a 2015 X5 and has over 120K on his... very few issues on that one too.

Mercs on the other hand I do think are not the cars they were. I own an R230 SL but it's bloody fragile.... costs a fortune to keep in top fettle. Still as it was (IMO) the only decent looking car Merc have made in the last 30 years I don't mind... it's almost like the Jaguar designers snuck in to Merc and designed them a decent looking motor then left :D All in my opinion of course as I realise Merc are phenomenally successful right now.

It's hard becoming a curmudgeon :D

I own an R230 SL at it's bloody fragile.... costs a fortune to keep in top fettle. Still as it was (IMO) the only decent looking car Mer have made in the last 30 years I don't mind... it's almost like the Jaguar designers snuck in to Merc and designed them a decent looking motor then left :D
...and the Land Rover engineers came in to build it.

I think this is a case of a load of old blokes on a forum not liking new things as they're different to what they grew up with. I personally think BMWs look OK on the whole, but yes they're no E39 or E46 which were IMO the last of the really good looking BMWs. However, it's just my opinion and that's all it is... many people still want to buy them so I have to accept there is no right and wrong. I also don't necessarily think the build quality is any worse when you consider the extra equipment and features people now expect... basically there is a heck of a lot more to go wrong. I have a 57 plate E70 X5 (out of necessity), but it has been uber reliable and has just gone over 100K miles, my mate has a 2015 X5 and has over 120K on his... very few issues on that one too.

Mercs on the other hand I do think are not the cars they were. I own an R230 SL but it's bloody fragile.... costs a fortune to keep in top fettle. Still as it was (IMO) the only decent looking car Merc have made in the last 30 years I don't mind... it's almost like the Jaguar designers snuck in to Merc and designed them a decent looking motor then left :D All in my opinion of course as I realise Merc are phenomenally successful right now.

Very true, my latest F32 4 series is by far the best BMW I've owned and I've had a couple of nice 5s over the years. The new looks don't appeal but thinner grills will be back as a new fashion then people will not like those. :)

My uncle, grandfather's brother, had one of those in the late '50s. It was called an "Isetta" in Italy, might have been made under licence in Italy.
I looked them up. Iso started them, hence "Isetta", in Italy, they were later licenced to BMW, also Spain, France and England. Bizarrely they were made in Britain in a factory without road access, so both parts and finished vehicles came and went by train.
By the late 50s they would have been an unusual choice. Top speed about 45, and 0-30 in about 30s. The Mini came along in 1959. No ball of fire as an 850 but it would do 70mph. Cheap too.

I looked them up. Iso started them, hence "Isetta", in Italy, they were later licenced to BMW, also Spain, France and England. Bizarrely they were made in Britain in a factory without road access, so both parts and finished vehicles came and went by train.

I have to ask..(at the risk of sounding like the straight half of the comic duo) .. so how did the staff get in and out then ?

I have to ask..(at the risk of sounding like the straight half of the comic duo) .. so how did the staff get in and out then ?
That's a very good question and Wikipedia doesn't say. Perhaps they too came in by train. Perhaps there was what around here would be called a snicket. Or possibly a ginnel.

No need for a big grill when we go to EVs, just the air con and battery cooler. The motors only generate heat when the car is moving, so a lot less radiator area needed

I think you’re right about old blokes not liking new stuff. As an old bloke myself I didn’t want to say as much, but it’s what I was thinking all along!

I own a very very ugly BMW. It's fantastic but not designed for gravel/unsealed roads. We live and learn...

advertisement

Back