advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually feel rather depressed about it. I honestly thought that there would still essentially be 'free movement', albeit in a controlled way.

I know I'm usually right, but I admit to getting that one wrong.

But then again, this thing is far from complete.
Honest of you to state that. I suspect a lot of Brexit voters will experience buyers remorse over the next few years. The AI stuff and potential migration of jobs due to labour costs etc will possibly be accelerated in the UK due to Brexit. Not sure how the Brexiteers will deal with that. Maybe a return to the stone age is the next step?

I actually feel rather depressed about it. I honestly thought that there would still essentially be 'free movement', albeit in a controlled way.

I know I'm usually right, but I admit to getting that one wrong.

But then again, this thing is far from complete.

You’re naïveté has been noted before, many times.

Is the pope a catholic?

DHUt9GF.jpg

Erm, I don't think that's His Holiness.

Is the pope a catholic?

DHUt9GF.jpg

Regardless of the way they voted, this is a horrible way for these people to wake up in the New Year. I really don't understand why Manston (purchased by the government) and the big field near Ashford (purchased by the government) isn't enough. How many holdups are they expecting? Some landowners are making a mint out of this.

This is typical of our current disingenous government - say as little as possible, while moving fast and stealthily. They will soon be having a go at the Freedom of Information Act. The Tories really don't think the little people have a right to know anything. Twas ever thus.

Regardless of the way they voted, this is a horrible way for these people to wake up in the New Year. I really don't understand why Manston (purchased by the government) and the big field near Ashford (purchased by the government) isn't enough.

Maybe, just maybe, they’ve been telling porkies about how bad they expect to things to be. I remember that Covid was going to be behind us by Easter. That didn’t work out well.

Not forgetting, of course, that the sort of immigration kabayiri is talking about was always possible even when we were in the EU, and has always been under our complete control, even when we were in the EU.

I'm not disagreeing with the point you and others have made, about it being under our control.

But there never was a "control" philosophy, just some vague free market idea that you could attract anyone in a free migration nirvana.
I think that's a cop out. Every country needs a plan; what kind of workforce they need 10/15/20 years out, then they focus on either training or importing those workers.

How can free movement be "in a controlled way"? Shirley if it's controlled, it can't be free.

I agree with you that this is just the end of the beginning. Years of business ahead for lawyers, consultancies, special advisors, etc.

Don't keep calling me Shirley!

Honest of you to state that. I suspect a lot of Brexit voters will experience buyers remorse over the next few years. The AI stuff and potential migration of jobs due to labour costs etc will possibly be accelerated in the UK due to Brexit. Not sure how the Brexiteers will deal with that. Maybe a return to the stone age is the next step?

If the Brexit vote hadn't been a very finely balanced thing for me, I wouldn't have been arguing about it here for the past 5 years. The EEC/Single Market aspects of the EU (the SM a largely Brit invention, remember) have always seemed to be sensible. The ideology, the secrecy, the subterfuge, the contempt for any real notion of democracy, the political activism and mission creep of the CJEU, the bullying nastiness of the EU institutions, the stifling bureaucracy, the cultural homogenisation and the imperial pretensions, all of which have been on cocksure and shameless display throughout the divorce (and no, I'm not referring to the utterly incompetent British conduct) have always repelled me.

Buyer's remorse? Not exactly. Some regrets? Many.

You’re naïveté has been noted before, many times.

Well, it was a word that I was going to use myself, and I owe you a condescention, so be my guest.

I enjoyed Riccardo Muti's speech in Vienna this evening. I hope culture holds us together in the next few years. Sometimes it feels like all we've got.

Don't keep calling me Shirley!

If the Brexit vote hadn't been a very finely balanced thing for me, I wouldn't have been arguing about it here for the past 5 years. The EEC/Single Market aspects of the EU (the SM a largely Brit invention, remember) have always seemed to be sensible. The ideology, the secrecy, the subterfuge, the contempt for any real notion of democracy, the political activism and mission creep of the CJEU, the bullying nastiness of the EU institutions, the stifling bureaucracy, the cultural homogenisation and the imperial pretensions, all of which have been on cocksure and shameless display throughout the divorce (and no, I'm not referring to the utterly incompetent British conduct) have always repelled me.

Buyer's remorse? Not exactly. Some regrets? Many.

Well, it was a word that I was going to use myself, and I owe you a condescention, so be my guest.

I enjoyed Riccardo Muti's speech in Vienna this evening. I hope culture holds us together in the next few years. Sometimes it feels like all we've got.
‘Muti’. You’re showing your Merkel fixation again.

Göring couldn’t take it out in 1945 but it appears Gove has buggered it in 2020,

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...p-at-kents-makeshift-brexit-lorry-park/01/01/
Ominous sinkhole opens up at Kent’s makeshift Brexit lorry park
“In what we are sure is not an ominous sign of things to come, a ten-metre-deep sinkhole has opened up at the makeshift lorry park at Manston Airport.
Investigators are busy determining the cause of the collapse – and have cordoned off the area. It has already reduced the capacity of the lorry park significantly, with 50 fewer HGVs now able to cram onto the runway.
The hole first appeared on Boxing Day. Last week, Manston took the weight of about 4,000 lorries amid widespread border chao”.

Göring couldn’t take it out in 1945 but it appears Gove has buggered it in 2020,

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/n...p-at-kents-makeshift-brexit-lorry-park/01/01/
“In what we are sure is not an ominous sign of things to come, a ten-metre-deep sinkhole has opened up at the makeshift lorry park at Manston Airport.
Investigators are busy determining the cause of the collapse – and have cordoned off the area. It has already reduced the capacity of the lorry park significantly, with 50 fewer HGVs now able to cram onto the runway.
The hole first appeared on Boxing Day. Last week, Manston took the weight of about 4,000 lorries amid widespread border chao”.
How is IndyRef2 coming along?
50 fewer trucks says the article in the pfm rejoiner rag of choice. If this is the lorry park in the photo is this 'significantly fewer'
21c4a830-featureimage-1200x858.jpg

I was wondering only yesterday how that runway could support the weight of all those thousands of trucks and their cargoes of rotting lobsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back