advertisement

Never say never....a $10,000/1 meter power cable?!*

I always found the Lars demonstrations amusing. Nobody dared to point out he had just turned up the music after putting in the 5m cable. It was always crap music and one was given 40 seconds to be mesmerised by such incredible improvement. He used a pair of relatively cheap B&W speakers that sounded horrible.

I did a little test one day when a friend brought a Valhalla power cable to a listening session. I plugged it in to my Dac unknown to all. Heaven had not arrived nobody commented negatively or positively on any big change.
This is at odds with all the Nordost dems I’ve seen, many of which were by Lars. I don’t ever recall B&W speakers being used - Lars always used Raidho IIRC, not least because he had an interest in the company. Maybe it was different in Ireland? But more importantly, they almost always used CJ amps, or Moon, and one key reason was because of the large, highly visible volume level indicator which could be seen by most in the room. This was to counter any spurious allegations of tweaking the volume, which Nordost is often (unfairly IMHO) accused of. It’s a tad defamatory, if you think about it.

Can someone explain how the three feet of cable between your device and the domestic wiring (or tiny fuse in a UK plug) restores all this lost performance? Or why the manufacturers would hobble their kit's potential by including a crap lead with it?

Can someone explain how the three feet of cable between your device and the domestic wiring (or tiny fuse in a UK plug) restores all this lost performance? Or why the manufacturers would hobble their kit's potential by including a crap lead with it?

I’d love to know too

The cost isn’t that crazy if you remember it’s not just the cost of materials. The engineer needs to make a living, pay the Aston Martin loan and the suits aren’t going to tailor themselves.

this isn’t mass market Yamaha crap. Indeed, it might be one of the great audio bargains.

The Americans are the best at marketing in the world. Personally I would rather spend the £10,000 on a unforgettable exotic holiday with the wife. Or hand over £10,000 donation to a local foodbank a lot of people are struggling at the moment.

This is at odds with all the Nordost dems I’ve seen, many of which were by Lars. I don’t ever recall B&W speakers being used - Lars always used Raidho IIRC, not least because he had an interest in the company. Maybe it was different in Ireland? But more importantly, they almost always used CJ amps, or Moon, and one key reason was because of the large, highly visible volume level indicator which could be seen by most in the room. This was to counter any spurious allegations of tweaking the volume, which Nordost is often (unfairly IMHO) accused of. It’s a tad defamatory, if you think about it.

Any of the Nordost dems I attended the used Primare CD player and amp and System Audio speakers and there was no tweaking of the volume control.

Agreed. £10k could buy experiences, fancy meals, holidays, charity donations, concert tickets that would all enrich your life immeasurably more.

Mmmmm, that very much depends on what the individual enjoys, none of the above would appeal to me personally, charity donations aside I'd consider the rest to be a waste of money, btw I wouldn't spend £100 on a mains lead let alone £10k

Mmmmm, that very much depends on what the individual enjoys, none of the above would appeal to me personally, charity donations aside I'd consider the rest to be a waste of money, btw I wouldn't spend £100 on a mains lead let alone £10k

I’d suggest that anyone who is into hifi that isn’t interested in concert tickets (jazz or classical counts) is perhaps in it for the wrong reasons. But hey, whatever your bag is.

experiences are better than “things” full stop.

Agreed. £10k could buy experiences, fancy meals, holidays, charity donations, concert tickets that would all enrich your life immeasurably more.

the fact that anyone, anywhere would consider paying this shows just how stupid / greedy / sad some people are.
Bear in mind that for anybody contemplating spending this much, it isn’t either/or. If you can afford £10k on a mains lead (and who has just the one?), you can also afford all the other stuff too.

Bear in mind that for anybody contemplating spending this much, it isn’t either/or. If you can afford £10k on a mains lead (and who has just the one?), you can also afford all the other stuff too.

As others have said above... Most rich people didn't get there by being stupid. They wouldn't go near a product like this. These will be bought by the likes of the Japanese Audiophiles that rent one bedroom studios so that they can afford to spend every penny they earn on hifi. They will be bought by people that could do much better with the money, but have forgotten how to.

:D To be fair, though, I think your post could have been tad misleading, as written. It may be that ‘seen one, seen them all’ is a valid position, but you did give the impression of having seen several, each similarly testicular in nature.

I’d suggest that anyone who is into hifi that isn’t interested in concert tickets (jazz or classical counts) is perhaps in it for the wrong reasons. But hey, whatever your bag is.

experiences are better than “things” full stop.

I really enjoyed going to concerts for about 30 years, I found the last few I went too to be extorsionately priced and uncomfortable and have no desire to attend any more. My love for music and interest in Hifi predates any concert experiences and continues to do so since I have stopped going to concerts. So in real terms concert attendance is irrelevant when it comes to enjoying music or indeed being interested in Hifi.

Experiences can be better than 'things' but I would suggest is dependant on the individual and the experience.

advertisement

Back