advertisement

Never say never....a $10,000/1 meter power cable?!*

Joe
I don't want to bang on tiresomely, and I freely acknowledge no expertise, but I've scratched my head about this and I still can't really quite see the problem.I hope this is not too arsey, as I really would like to understand if there is some point I'm missing.
Adam,

That's what I've not come across, but I wouldn't take my not knowing about such research as evidence it hasn't been done. But both personally and broadly anecdotally, I'd say the assertion that audio memory is short isn't true as an absolute statement.
We are agreed on that. The more useful formulation is I think something along the lines of- sound quality comparisons of relatively subtle differences cannot reliably be made from memory after a few seconds. And it seems that this does indeed have some evidential foundation in the links I have shown, alhtough the propostion seems to go back much further. That said, it seems that although auditory memory degrades rapidly, it then remains contant, whereas visual memory starts out great and then seems to degrade after a few days. So in that sense audio memory it isn't short. It seems that what is short, really short, is precise detailed facsimile-of-the-original audio memory.

Apart from the links above- this study (and the summary in it) seems pertinent
https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/s13423-019-01597-7?shared-article-renderer
"Our results replicated the finding that visual recognition memory performance is better than auditory recognition memory performance (e.g., Bigelow & Poremba, 2014; Cohen, Horowitz, & Wolfe, 2009) and that the differences in auditory and visual memory become less apparent over time (Gloede, Paulauskas, & Gregg, 2017). More critically, however, the present study demonstrates why the difference between auditory and visual memory is apparent at a same-day memory test but not at a delay: the fidelity of visual memory is better than the fidelity of auditory memory. Auditory memory representations are more coarse and gist-based, rather than richly detailed representations of an event."

Years ago, when I upgraded the arm on my turntable from a Linn Basik to an Ekos I heard all sorts of things on my records I hadn't heard before. Maybe I imagined it, but I think that's unlikely because it was across dozens of records and genres. And the comparison had to be from memory because I didn't keep switching the arms back and forth dozens of times. I simply listened to records I knew well with the better tonearm and thought, wow, I've never heard that [ fill in the blank ] before. Yes, a Basik is a bit shit, but still...
As I said, I don't think that you are mistaken in thinking that you have noticed something you did not notice before. But is this as a result of a comparison of the present and remembered sounds themselves? There are many reasons why one might notice new details in familiar tracks; reasons not necessarily lying in in the sound waves themselves. This one has been done to death, and is a separate point from the audio memory question.

On the audio memory: no one is saying that one has audio amnesia, only that one does not tend to retain a detailed facsimile of the sound in memory from which subtle comparisons can be made. The ability to consult one's mental notes, as it were, is different from consulting an accurate mental "image" from which subtle comparisons can be made accurately. So thinking (even correctly) that you have noticed something you have not noticed before does not contradict the hypothesis that sound quality comparisons of relatively subtle differences cannot reliably be made from memory.

The examples you give don't seem to me to take matters further than the undoubted fact that people can remember tunes, in some cases lots and lots of them; and some people can identify lots of different types of bird song. And no doubt sound can have Proustian effect. But none of this touches on the real issue for present purposes which is whether people could reliably remember and compare from memory not a type of bird song, or a tune, or even a tune on a particular piano, but a particular recording of a tune on a particular piano played back by two different amplifiers/dacs/whatever.

Adam,

I'm sorry, I'm just swamped today.

I'll have a look later.

Joe

Thing is, who's to say what's comparative in sound vs sight?

To be fair hearing differences between some dacs is like trying to tell a pixel of 222,111,240 from one of 222,111,239

Adam,

Sorry, I realize I never came back to this thread to reply.

I'm not an expert on auditory memory, so I really don't have a satisfying answer. I'm simply saying that, anecdotally, I find the assertion that audio memory is notoriously short to be at odds with my experience.

I came across this clip today of Spaniard ballerina Marta Gonzalez Valencia. (It's what prompted my finding this old thread.) She was at the latter stages of dementia, something I recognize all too well because my stepfather was at this stage last summer just before he died. His memory was so impaired that even speaking was extremely difficult. Marta Gonzalez Valencia appears to be at the same stage in the video. (She, too, is no longer with us.)

And yet, when she heard Swan Lake, the choreography came back.

I won't go so far as to say this means I can recall with precision how something sounded in my system, say, ten minutes ago, but I don't see convincing evidence that audio memory is short and therefore utterly unreliable.

I'm not bothered if my approach to audio buying is unscientific or lacks rigour. It's a hobby -- usually a fun one -- not a clinical trial. If this gives some objectivist a case of the vapours I'll have to live with that. Not you, obviously. :–)

Joe

The point is with auditory memory that its not like remembering a deck of shuffled playing cards, there is no absolute right or wrong. Can you remember 50% of what something sounded like, mmm maybe, can you remember the signal level to within a part of a percentage point for every single discernible 50 micro second segment, no of course not.

I'm simply saying that, anecdotally, I find the assertion that audio memory is notoriously short to be at odds with my experience.

I agree. I can think of incidents which suggest my audio memory is very good. I also think it's over simplistic to assume everyone's hearing works in the same way or they are listening to the same things.

Surely we are discussing A.M. in connection to HiFi sound quality? Of course we can remember a tune, even after years have passed, but can we retain tiny subtle changes in timbre or frequency with absolute certainty after 5 or 10 mins?
I can’t.

Surely we are discussing A.M. in connection to HiFi sound quality? Of course we can remember a tune, even after years have passed, but can we retain tiny subtle changes in timbre or frequency with absolute certainty after 5 or 10 mins?
I can’t.

I'm guessing that depends very much on the individual and how memorable the tiny subtle changes in timbre or frequency were to the individual, whilst I don't doubt how memorable some changes have been the memory may not be the most accurate to rely on.

Those who advocate blind testing, it seems to me, also often advocate switched A/B testing, so you go from listening to A, to B, on the fly. You hear the differences at the switchover point. Curiously though, it is my understanding that the sort of changes that are most apparent at the point of switchover, are also the sort of things that are most quickly forgotten: differences in timbre, pitch, noise floor, ambient information, etc.

It strikes me that these are the sort of differences, perhaps, that such advocates are listening for when they audition audio equipment, which might help explain why they are so convinced that blind testing 'shows' that so many perceived differences are illusory.

A/B testing is used to determine if there is any difference, once you have reliably determined there is a difference then you can determine your preference however you choose.
Unfortunately unsighted comparisons are rare, which is a pity.
Keith

A/B testing is used to determine if there is any difference, once you have reliably determined there is a difference then you can determine your preference however you choose.
Unfortunately unsighted comparisons are rare, which is a pity.
Keith
No. A/B testing is done to determine if there is a difference of the sort in the subset of differences such tests can discern. Level-matched A/B testing isn't so great for determining things like timing, dynamic range, and so-on, all of which are crucial to a satisfying and convincing musical performance.

No purely to determine if there is a difference, that’s it.
Ideal for determining if there is a difference between components.
Really interesting once you remove the sighted component and level matching if necessary.
Keith

Those who advocate blind testing, it seems to me, also often advocate switched A/B testing, so you go from listening to A, to B, on the fly. You hear the differences at the switchover point. Curiously though, it is my understanding that the sort of changes that are most apparent at the point of switchover, are also the sort of things that are most quickly forgotten: differences in timbre, pitch, noise floor, ambient information, etc.

It strikes me that these are the sort of differences, perhaps, that such advocates are listening for when they audition audio equipment, which might help explain why they are so convinced that blind testing 'shows' that so many perceived differences are illusory.
Not much point typing it out again.

No purely to determine if there is a difference, that’s it.
Ideal for determining if there is a difference between components.
Really interesting once you remove the sighted component and level matching if necessary.
Keith
How do you level-match Keith?

I've tried this using decibel meter app (with plug-in mic) but found one amp (in this case) sounded a lot louder than the other even though they measured the same with the range of music used. Have found it again since. Some perception thing - frequency-emphasis?

I've tried this using decibel meter app (with plug-in mic) but found one amp (in this case) sounded a lot louder than the other even though they measured the same with the range of music used. Have found it again since. Some perception thing - frequency-emphasis?
Your phone obviously needs a more expensive charger cable. You need higher quality volts in the batteries before you can trust any app.

advertisement

Back