advertisement

Never say never....a $10,000/1 meter power cable?!*

I use a radial of Russ Andrews mains cable but think that it is pointless to debate because if you have a good mains supply you probably would not need it. Used as a dedicated radial or ring main it works very well.

Really!!! I haven't seen one of his comic books in years, and I felt so sad in seen this cable for 10k and thinking of old vulnerable audiophiles spending what they have left after retirement on this garbage. And check out what he says about the super cable burn in, a politician in the making. His comic book is going in the bin. Shame on him.
https://www.russandrews.com/kimber-ks-phono-ag-tone-arm-cable/

Even if power cables could make a difference I don't see how anyone could think that plugging a metre or so of a massively expensive cable between a shitty, low quality wall socket that probably cost 10p and the hi-fi equipment could make a difference. Especially given that wall socket is used to terminate the power cables running around the house which probably cost 10p a metre themselves.
What?! I’ve rewired the house in it and I’m digging my way to the substation.

Incidentally, In other foo news, I notice that Hifi plus offers a prize of a grounding box
“worth £1,695!”
I wonder whether that might be worth an ASA reference, but I suppose they would think value to be a matter of opinion. In any event I think that the only way a grounding box could be worth £1695 is if it contains £1705 in cash, with £10 for the trouble of taking it to the dump.

I guess you could refer them to the ASA if you really consider it a good use of your time. Personally, I think I'd volunteer at a food bank, or join a campaign for something more meaningful, or support The Good Law Project or something but hey, do what you need to do. Bound to be some impecunious pensioner hifi lovers out there need saving from themselves.

I made a big mistake mentioning Russ Andrews because it tends to bring out the irrational thoughts of others. Personally I did not purchase at any where near full price, it was an offcut from someone who picked up the full tab, I also use a standard 6mm twin and earth radial.

My system is valuable and because of the very poor mains supply I have had to make various changes which was not a necessity in my previous property. Personally I do not comment on any equipment of which I have zero knowledge.

Incidentally, In other foo news, I notice that Hifi plus offers a prize of a grounding box
“worth £1,695!”
I wonder whether that might be worth an ASA reference, but I suppose they would think value to be a matter of opinion. In any event I think that the only way a grounding box could be worth £1695 is if it contains £1705 in cash, with £10 for the trouble of taking it to the dump.

You'll not be entering the competition then ?

I guess you could refer them to the ASA if you really consider it a good use of your time. Personally, I think I'd volunteer at a food bank, or join a campaign for something more meaningful, or support The Good Law Project or something but hey, do what you need to do..
I think bandying around the concept “good use of your time” in a pooterish hifi forum post is unwise.

I think bandying around the concept “good use of your time” in a pooterish hifi forum post is unwise.
Well, I did wonder whether to point out that ‘worth £xxxx’ would merely be a reflection of RRP, and you might just get a politely dismissive reply from the ASA on that basis.

pfm is leisure for me, and I also learn things from it, so I’m happy it’s a reasonable way to spend some of my time. Call it a hobby. Are you one of those people who makes complaints to regulators as a hobby, then?

Well, I did wonder whether to point out that ‘worth £xxxx’ would merely be a reflection of RRP, and you might just get a politely dismissive reply from the ASA on that basis.

pfm is leisure for me, and I also learn things from it, so I’m happy it’s a reasonable way to spend some of my time. Call it a hobby. Are you one of those people who makes complaints to regulators as a hobby, then?
I've been considering it as an option, although not seriously. But if I were ever tempted to balance my turntable on 11 bits of mana, I hope I would go there first.

Perhaps an electrician can clarify this point, but my understanding is that a ring main has a lower impedance than a spur, probably half if the same gauge cable is used, so the mains wiring will typically be lower impedance than the last metre or so of mains lead. To my mind, this might be a reason why the choice of cable, for that last metre or so, might make a difference.

It simply doesn't matter. You could choose the cheapest crappiest cable known to man and then make it 30 yards long just to make it worse and it would make no difference, zilch, nada... Only those with zero knowledge of how power supplies etc work and whats involved and who have replaced any interest in the reality of such things with a "belief system" could possibly think otherwise!

The idiocy of spending this much on a piece of wire is beyond parody.

Basically, think what else you could spend £10k on. Even in the realm of hi-fi you could get some amazing active speakers, an end game TT or Dac etc.

Just plain daft to even debate it.

That's what I think myself, it would be better spent on equipment or records, though there must be people spending serious money on all the accessories.

You could buy a really nice system for £10k or a piece of wire. Which would sound better?
These arguments are irrelevant, though. People spending £10k on a mains lead have £300k systems. It's a bit like saying it is ridiculous that a Ferrari costs £300k when you can get a Golf GTI for £30k. It's a different market entirely.

These arguments are irrelevant, though. People spending £10k on a mains lead have £300k systems. It's a bit like saying it is ridiculous that a Ferrari costs £300k when you can get a Golf GTI for £30k. It's a different market entirely.
I am not sure it is, spending £300k on a system would be equally daft.

I can 100% see why a Ferrari would cost more than a golf or a Porsche but we are talking about a bit of wire which has no benefit whatsoever.

If you took one of these £10k power cables and just wired it in to the output of your nearest power station, would it fix the whole grid? Obviously you’d need one for each phase.

Wrong analogy, this is more like filling your Golf GTI radiator with Merck Ultrapure water at about UKP500 per liter and expecting it to go faster

advertisement

Back