advertisement

Now that's what I call an outro!

Actually a fantastic guitar solo outro is Neil Schon's on Journey's 'Stone in Love'. Not a great fan of the band but it really hits the spot.............

Koss being Koss

The end progression/riff on Candy Kane is just so gorgeously full of tension

For sheer kitchen sink and the cowbell chutzpah PFM had the badge, the t shirt and the boxed set.

The "pinched harmonic" has become the hack guitarist's first weapon of choice when lacking any sort of melodic sense however, this was the first time I was aware of one and Mark Warner's guitar throughout the track is just sublime. The pinched harmonic on the outro is perfection.

I'm not sure what makes an outro, but I think it needs to be distinct from the body of the song not just more playing over the main theme. Like "Hey Jude" and "Layla" for example.
Anyway, obligatory Grateful Dead content. I was listening to this last night, it may or may not be technically an outro but it's great. The outro vocals start at about 8:05, the fun starts at 9:24 when Weir and Mydland agree on a vocal riff that Weir blows the first time round, to his amusement. This inspires Garcia (who usually avoids any "Ooo hey" stuff) to most un-Jerry-like vocal gymastics. The outro has a nice spacy instrumental close.

Marchbanks, you pointed me towards Cardiacs/Dirty Boy on the Tim Smith RIP thread.

Had never heard anything by them before, but hit Youtube a couple of days ago and am now completely hooked. Have found a couple of live versions too. What a song (and I'm now exploring others), though suspect they are very much a 'Marmite' band. Was thinking just the same earlier about how it ends...that is certainly an outro! Anyway, thanks for the heads up!

Welcome to The Pond. If you're on Facebook join the Cardiacs group. Cardiacs fans are the nicest and smartest people.

How about Barney and Me

Youth Youth Youth by Generation X, Bob Derwood Andrews pushed the amp after an extended and extremely insanely wonderfully agressive guitar solo where the amp shrieks it’s last and that’s yer lot, nice little tape ffffwwiiiip, right at the end. It was a beautiful end to a banger of a first LP.

advertisement

Back