advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Fair enough. I have half an eye open for a nice occasional wear watch. I'm not one to spend a fortune on a watch either but will dig a little deeper if I see the one I want. Must haves are date, day is also nice, luminous, automatic is preferable but not essential, sapphire glass, metal strap, maximum 42mm diameter, unfussy and clear face design.

There have been a few Drop deals that came close but not quite close enough for me to hit the buy button.
If you are prepared to trade sapphire for Hardlex then the Seiko 5 range are very good and fit the bill here, about £100. A step up with nicer movements, better finish and sapphire glass are the Seiko SARB series. These are very nice. £300 ish. Other brands are of course available.

Bugger, I've bought another one. An online ad appeared offering an Orient Bambino at a very low price. I've paid by Paypal so if it's a scam I'll get my money back. Always fancied a Bambino, they're a bit of a classic, and I don't yet own an Orient watch. Let's see if it arrives, or if I get a 1 Euro battery powered plastic knockoff.

If you are prepared to trade sapphire for Hardlex then the Seiko 5 range are very good and fit the bill here, about £100. A step up with nicer movements, better finish and sapphire glass are the Seiko SARB series. These are very nice. £300 ish. Other brands are of course available.

Absolutely agree. Seiko watches are excellent and they seem to have all price points covered. As you say, other brands are available, but there will almost always be an equally good or better value Seiko. And then there are all the other brands owned by Seiko, like Orient....

Bugger, I've bought another one. An online ad appeared offering an Orient Bambino at a very low price. I've paid by Paypal so if it's a scam I'll get my money back. Always fancied a Bambino, they're a bit of a classic, and I don't yet own an Orient watch. Let's see if it arrives, or if I get a 1 Euro battery powered plastic knockoff.

....which is a very nice watch! I think I paid about £80 for my mine.

^^^^^^^^
I agree also, the SARBs are definitely in contention, just need to find the right one....

11-6-2019237416by9crop_1.jpg

No need but boy do I have a big green want!

I don't own any of these yet as they are due to be released this month. An update on the alpinist for 2020 with a new movement and couple of new colours I think. Oh and a cyclops too.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/blogs/news/the-alpinist-will-make-a-comeback-in-jan-2020
Thanks. I rather like the look of the new black faced version. Looks like the green version will still come on the same horrible leather strap, and at double the price of the discontinued version. I've noticed second hand prices are climbing.

I have the sarb 017 and yes the strap is a nasty cheap affair. Junk it and buy a nice one. It's traditional for discontinued alps to go up, I got my near mint example for under £250, the old model with 4r36 movement was £500-1000 in mint condition by then. I preferred it but not to that extent.

CW Sellors have Hamilton watches on sale just now and the code HAM10 will drop already good prices down further.

Eg, this Navy Scuba is currently on sale at £417 but the code brings it down to £347.50 delivered. The choice, of many nice choices, is yours :)

HM-877_Hamilton_Watch_Khaki_Navy_Scuba_H82305131_a6dc4afd-693e-4e9c-80f6-1b2d30cf888d_x300.jpg

I have the sarb 017 and yes the strap is a nasty cheap affair. Junk it and buy a nice one. It's traditional for discontinued alps to go up, I got my near mint example for under £250, the old model with 4r36 movement was £500-1000 in mint condition by then. I preferred it but not to that extent.

I have an Alpinist with the supplied leather strap. Over time it has softened and mellowed into quite a nice thing. I did buy a Seiko bracelet to fit....still in its bag.

My friends inherited this Omega Geneve - TV Dial (think its from 1972), these are the pictures of the watch, it's in very good condition doesn't look like its been worn much, could probably pass for NOS if it had a box, it's automatic and seems to keep time well, i'm not normally keen on square watches, but in the flesh (steel) it's really quite elegant, any idea on price? i was going to put it up in the classifieds on here.

49478422741_480aef2b77_h.jpg

I've found my way back round to my SNK 805. Funny, I have half a dozen nice watches, a slightly worn, plain looking, small wristwatch still finds its way to being the default choice.

advertisement

Back