advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I have the sarb 017 and yes the strap is a nasty cheap affair. Junk it and buy a nice one.

I didn't get on with the standard strap either so have switched to a leather nato one:

170543258.n3sdG7xH.jpg

I like Nato straps and usually end up switching most of my watches to them.

I didn't get on with the standard strap either so have switched to a leather nato one:
I like Nato straps and usually end up switching most of my watches to them.
That looks good. I had a nice strap kindly given to me on here, that's good looking. Big chunky ones like yours though fit with the sporty outdoors nature of this model.

Another new arrival today, and I think this might become my daily wear for a while. Not sure if I'll switch it to a Nato strap yet as the one it came with is comfortable.

170545551.ZwiCrQ9Y.jpg

Lockdown means I've got too much time on my hands browsing Ebay, resulting in several watch purchases already.

Don't really know much about this one other than it's in good condition, looked nice (I like plainish automatics from around the 60's) and was very cheap:

170662184.MmATFNCS.jpg

This one is from 1967 so is a year older than me, although it seems to have worn those years rather better:

170662185.kTjkybaj.jpg

Lockdown means I've got too much time on my hands browsing Ebay, resulting in several watch purchases already.

Don't really know much about this one other than it's in good condition, looked nice (I like plainish automatics from around the 60's) and was very cheap:

This one is from 1967 so is a year older than me, although it seems to have worn those years rather better:

I sold my father's Seamaster on eBay recently - a bit older than yours, but I was surprised what it went for. I'm afraid I know little about Omegas (for me it's a hobby not an obsession) but normally they seem nice watches. I'm still struggling to live with my Apollo XI not being an automatic - I just forget to wind it up all the time

I sold my father's Seamaster on eBay recently - a bit older than yours, but I was surprised what it went for. I'm afraid I know little about Omegas (for me it's a hobby not an obsession) but normally they seem nice watches. I'm still struggling to live with my Apollo XI not being an automatic - I just forget to wind it up all the time

I don't think I've got any manual wind watches at the moment - I'd definitely forget to wind them if I did. Quite a few automatics (none of them particularly valuable) though so have had to order another winder as the one I have at the moment only has 4 slots.

That Chronostop is a nice looking watch.

Next on my to-do list is to get this Eternamatic 2002 sorted out.
170662842.7nCGmlaf.jpg

It was left by my father in law to my son and while it works it's lost its crown. It might have a go at fixing it myself.

It's a shame that the modern Omega's leave quite a lot to be desired design-wise IMO. They're still nicely engineered and put together, but some of the modern Seamasters etc are pretty rank.

Still very much a fan of the Speedmaster, which luckily hasn't seen much change since its inception.

While trying on various watches 6 years ago, my not-tiny wrists were made to feel inadequate by some modern machinery

Very nice. For a while I've quite fancied a 'drivers' Chronostop with the dial rotated 90 degrees.

Cheers, yes the drivers version is certainly the more collectable based on the prices they seem to fetch! I just couldn't put up with having it on the underside of my wrist, constantly knocking laptop/desk etc.

I think they're a really underrated watch though, really clean dial and I understand the calibre 865 is not too far off the movement fitted to the Speedmaster.

Was only a couple of days later when I looked closely and found that the lad had completed the receipt small print to read:

'Scratches on Glass? YES'
'Condition of watch? WORN'
'Scratches on Bracelet? YES'
'Scratches on Bezel? YES'

I went ballistic and called the shop immediately. Spoke to the manager and pointed out to him that it was completely out of order for this lad to make such judgements and such comments without any negotiation with me and without even pointing out to me that he had done so. Manager agreed. I told him that if there was any additional damage whetever to my prized watch on return, I would be demanding recompense.

I think I made myself understood.

And yes.. OK.. I should have fully read the receipt before signing it... but there's still an issue of trust here.

I will report the outcome.

I think this was a "CYA" move by the clerk, to protect against one claiming that the shop scratched it.

I'm afraid I know little about Omegas (for me it's a hobby not an obsession) but normally they seem nice watches. I'm still struggling to live with my Apollo XI not being an automatic - I just forget to wind it up all the time

You sir, should have perhaps opted for one of these:

ttZB5TPh.jpg

The Midsize automatic Speedmaster.
I on the other hand with my puny wrists and preference for automatic mechanisms did so - and have pretty much regretted doing so and not going for the full-fat Manual Wind Moonwatch version ever since :(

Omega and Longines were considered very serious watches back then unlike their watered-down selves today. Old collectors and watchmakers who have been around for a long time will tell you that Omegas were sometimes more desirable than Rolex for example, and that the Speedy was more expensive than the Daytona retail-wise. Likewise Longines made some very collectible watches esp. chronographs with original movements that are highly sought after today.

There are Seamasters and then there are Seamasters. The common dress Seamasters of the past, nice watches as they are, still don't fetch very much ($300-500?). But if you have a rare version or the dive Seamaster 300 (and more so the issued Royal Navy ones with military markings), you can fetch a tidy sum for them. The military Seamaster 300 can probably pay for a college education with some spare change.

I am afraid you are correct. The Speedy Pro is a classic whereas the reduced Speedy...is not.

It's not just a question of size. While both watches look very similar, the layout and proportions of the Moonwatch are better. The Speedy Reduced has the subdials squeezed towards the edges of the dial giving it a very crowded look.

I was the same way as you when I first got my Speedy Pro. The watch looked humongous on my wrist but this impression faded rather quickly. I have found watch size to be largely dependent on what your eyes are used to. It works the same way in the opposite direction: if you wear a large watch and then switch to a smaller dress watch, you will find that the watch looks too 'small'. But you get used to it after a while. I am happy wearing anything from say, 34mm up to about 45mm; it all depends on the design and proportions. I find a thicker watch to be more of a problem.

You sir, should have perhaps opted for one of these:

ttZB5TPh.jpg

The Midsize automatic Speedmaster.
I on the other hand with my puny wrists and preference for automatic mechanisms did so - and have pretty much regretted doing so and not going for the full-fat Manual Wind Moonwatch version ever since :(

My mate owns a vintage Seamaster that he inherited from his late father and it's very much dress watch in style. It's probably the classiest and timeless-looking watch I've ever seen; you'd need to look at Omega dress watches to find something comparable because compared to that watch, modern Seamasters have no timeless class whatsoever.

advertisement

Back