advertisement

What is 'Super ARAY conductor geometry' when it's at home?

Pterodactyl

pfm Member
Chord say the following, but I can't find any description of what the Super ARAY conductor geometry actually is?

"Signature Super ARAY streaming cable is a direct development of the Epic Streaming cable. The same high precision RJ45 connector (gold-plated contacts and soldered conductors) is used, along with the unique hard skin insulation. Compare performance however, and you’ll hear what happens when heavier gauge silver-plated conductors are fitted. Relative spacing of the conductors is changed and a more effective shielding system is used. The other big change is the switch from Tuned to Super ARAY conductor geometry – developed specifically for streaming cables.

The problem with streaming audio can often be the length and the number of cables involved in the process. Re-siting NAS drives isn’t always possible and sometimes Ethernet signals are sent over mains cables!

The development of Tuned / Super ARAY conductor geometries was driven by a desire to minimise high frequency noise. Long runs of unshielded Ethernet cable (or worse, Ethernet over mains) means that high frequency interference won’t just be affecting the streamer you are using, it will be affecting the whole audio system. Connecting a Signature Super ARAY streaming cable to the streamer can produce profound improvements. Increases in clarity, definition and detail are easy to hear, but it’s the gains in coherence that are so special."

Yes, it raises the spectre of "Long runs of unshielded Ethernet cable", which many do not have.

But these Chord cables are not Ethernet cables - AFAIK they do not pass the spec for that. They are streaming cables.

I've never tried them, so don't know what difference if any they make to SQ due to electrical noise reduction or noise shaping.

Just wondered how they are actually constructed and of what materials?

I have a Chord Sarum phono cable that uses the word aray. While it is a slightly better phono cable than a Van Der Hul phono cable I also have it is not worth the extra £800 over the Van Der Hul. Take from that what you will.

I've never tried them, so don't know what difference if any they make to SQ due to electrical noise reduction or noise shaping.
They make a difference to the sound by employing the power of your mind.
Just wondered how they are actually constructed and of what materials?
90% conductor, 10% insulator, and a little bit of fairy dust.

Hi,
https://www.chord.co.uk/product/signature-digital-super-aray/
£800 for 1m cable (i assume 1m from picture).

Your copying of the text - RJ45 connections with cable that has unique hard skin insulation... it is utter rot. It is just an ethernet cable - shielded probably. What is the price ?

Just purchase a standard STP cable, and it will work as required - i use good quality from Amazon, for less than £5 for 1metre and they work no issue. Data is data.

Regards,
Shadders.

Oh - that stuff - I once saw this documentary on Dupont's manufacture of Teflon:

"A new Netflix documentary titled, “The Devil We Know,” tells the story of DuPont’s decades-long cover-up of the harm caused by chemicals used to make its popular non-stick Teflon™ products. The film shows how the chemicals used to make Teflon poisoned people and the environment—not just in Parkersburg, West Virginia, where DuPont had a Teflon plant, but all over the world.

It all began in 1945, when DuPont, renamed DowDuPont following its 2017 merger with Dow Chemical, began manufacturing Teflon, a product best known for its use in non-stick cookware, but also widely used in a variety of other consumer products, including waterproof clothing and furniture, food packaging, self-cleaning ovens, airplanes and cars.

One of the key ingredients in DuPont’s Teflon was C8, a toxic, man-made chemical created by Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, better known as 3M, to make Scotchgard. The chemical, also known as PFOS or PFOA, is what gave Teflon its non-stick properties.

Both 3M and DuPont were well aware of the health hazards associated with C8. But that didn’t stop DuPont from dumping the toxic chemical into local waterways, where it made its way into public drinking water and subsequently sickened thousands of people, and ultimately killing many of them."

Oh - that stuff - I once saw this documentary on Dupont's manufacture of Teflon:

"A new Netflix documentary titled, “The Devil We Know,” tells the story of DuPont’s decades-long cover-up of the harm caused by chemicals used to make its popular non-stick Teflon™ products. The film shows how the chemicals used to make Teflon poisoned people and the environment—not just in Parkersburg, West Virginia, where DuPont had a Teflon plant, but all over the world.

It all began in 1945, when DuPont, renamed DowDuPont following its 2017 merger with Dow Chemical, began manufacturing Teflon, a product best known for its use in non-stick cookware, but also widely used in a variety of other consumer products, including waterproof clothing and furniture, food packaging, self-cleaning ovens, airplanes and cars.

One of the key ingredients in DuPont’s Teflon was C8, a toxic, man-made chemical created by Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, better known as 3M, to make Scotchgard. The chemical, also known as PFOS or PFOA, is what gave Teflon its non-stick properties.

Both 3M and DuPont were well aware of the health hazards associated with C8. But that didn’t stop DuPont from dumping the toxic chemical into local waterways, where it made its way into public drinking water and subsequently sickened thousands of people, and ultimately killing many of them."

"Teflon" is a trade mark belonging to DuPont for the polymer PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene). PFOS is a surfactant that was used in the manufacture of PTFE, but it is not an ingredient and does not form part of Teflon or any other brand of PTFE. Its purpose was to maintain the PTFE as an emulsion in water as it forms (which is as a result of free-radical induced polymerisation of tetrafluoroethylene). PFOS is not responsible for PTFE's non-stick properties; these are an inherent property of the polymer.

I just wanted to explain this in case anyone might worry about the safety of their non-stick pans or any other PTFE containing product.

Oh, I would add that PFOS went out of use in or around 2000.

Nonsense. Aray as detailed there suggests a specific cable layout. The CAT standards define cable layout, twists per metre and CAT 6 includes a framing template in the end plates. All of which menas the "Aray" is codswallop.

so far we have had nonsense, fairy dust, utter rot, Nonsense (again) and codswallop.

But no one has said what 'Aray' means, or how the conductors/cable is constructed.

so far we have had nonsense, fairy dust, utter rot, Nonsense (again) and codswallop.

But no one has said what 'Aray' means, or how the conductors/cable is constructed.
A wee search online brings up Aray PTFE - Teflon used as a installation material by chord.

OK - thanks.
But their term 'geometry' - and the fact that they are called streaming cables - suggests that the wires may be unusal in some way compared to standard ethernet cables.

Hi,
Why should anyone on this forum state what "ARAY" is, if even Chord do not state what it is ???

It is an acronym for the gullible.

Regards,
Shadders.

advertisement

Back