advertisement

Teddypardo ND555 & NDS power supply is here

Well i am fully loving it tonight as it has come on song, was a tad bright at first and a bit bass light, then last night it went a bit dull, to the extent i tried it with my naim 555 on socket 1 and teddy on socket 2.
But tonight swapped it back to all teddy and just sat back and enjoying it, it just sounds fabulous tonight and i hope that its stopped burning in and changing in sound as right now its just fantastic, extra clarity and lovely base weight, the speakers have almost disappeared its so wide.

As you probably tell i am liking this, the naim555dr is not shabby by any means, but right now tonight its been kicked and its one off them moments that you dont want to turn it off in case it sounds different when you turn it back on, or more any cables or black boxes lol.

Just wish you could hear it

Hound
This sudden change is what I recall using the TXPS on its own after a week or so

NB
Is there anyone who could lend Hound a Link Plug ?

Just to add the photo on the teddy site, does not show the correct supply, it is a xps, but the rear connector shows the digital one and not the analog one, just incase this causes confusion, plus it has a sticker on it, stating socket 2 only.
But you can tell how much they are doing as supply 1 runs hot and supply 2 only just warm.

You can find it on the teddy site but in the power supply section, rather than the naim only section. But that will be addressed very soon

Hi Hound, or DUNC, new member here, I actually just joined after reading about the Teddy 555 power supply. I have a few questions for you, if you don’t mind. I have an NDS currently, and I use a Naim XPSDR with it, the XPS is 2015, and the NDS is from 2016. First question, can I still use my Xpsdr the way it is, take the link plug out, and add the Teddy 555+ to the other socket? Second question, I have the NDS Burndy cables for a 555 DR sitting in the box, can I use this cable with the Teddy supply? Cost is the main reason I have not bought a Naim power supply, so I am real excited to hear these are about to hit the market.Next question would be, am I better off selling my XPSDR, and getting two Teddy supplies, and would my cables work with both, because my Burndy would have to go with my XPS if I sold it? Thanks in advance for any info you can give me, and keep the updates coming. I am a member of the Naim forum too, but understand the rules over there about non Naim power supplies. I was also considering the CHC supply too, which I see you have, would you recommend the Teddy supplies over the CHC?

Hi No Quarter

First off, yes you can keep your Naim XPS Dr, Then just remove the link plug off socket 2 and you will use the NDS burndy on socket 2 to connect up the teddypardo XPS plus. You might even be able to use the other NDS burndy on socket, but i am not sure about that one, as you wont need all the power rails that the XPS burndy cable supplies now. But i am sure teddypardo will advise on that.
But that will be a very cost effective upgrade for you and the way i would go if i was you.
I dont know how the CHC555 compares to that scenario, sorry.

The other option is sell the Naim Xps and cable, as that will bring a nice return and then buy the full teddypardo 555 supply and use both of the NDS cables, as that way it would probably cost nothing, plus wont cost you anything going forward in service costs

Thanks Hound, it was bothering me that I have those brand new cables sitting in the NDS box, but now I may finally get to use them. It might not be until spring though, I have a few other things I need to purhase first, that should give you plenty of time to figure out what works best, after they settle in. I am probably going to try and sell the XPS first, see what happens there, I am not sure mixing the two would be ideal? So is this new supply considered a 555 equivalent, or is it just an XPS equivalent?

Hi the way its performing i would say 555 equivalent, but with out the costs.

This surely must be a serious bargain...so can I check is the TXPS+ the equivalent of one or two Naim 555 PS or do you also need a TXPS? ie does a TXPS + TXPS+ = 555PS? And what price do you pay landed in the UK for the TXPS and TXPS+ combo?

You need a teddy xps or other power supply that can power say the NDS/ ND555, and then you buy the teddy xps plus to run socket 2
So if like me you have a naim 555ps and you get the teddy xps plus. You would remove the burndy cable off socket number 2 on the back off the naim 555ps and connect it onto the teddy.
Or if you have a naim xps or teddy xps, you would just remove the link plug on the back off the nds and connect the teddy xps to socket 2.
Adding the second supply along side my naim555ps has seen an improvement, bit more clearer sounding around instruments, but its not a massive difference, but its worth having for the cost, dont think i would want to spend new price naim 555dr money, for the uplift, but the teddy price makes it worthwhile.
But i guess anyone with say an xps would get a bigger upgrade and i wish i had the link plug, as then i could see how much difference it makes over a single xps.

But using both teddy supplies gets great results and if i didnt already have the 555dr ps, i would be on this 100% as its great value for money and offers similar performance, yes a slightly different sound, but its very pleasing. If you are looking for a power supply, i would definitely try it and if you dont like you can always send it back.

I still need to give it more time as i feel its still burning in.
Plus i want to explore the naim 555dr on socket 1 and teddy on socket 2

Hound, as I mentioned, I am only using a Naim XPSDR right now on my NDS. So right now the XPS is powering both analog and digital on my NDS. If I added the Teddy XPS to socket two, would that also allow my XPS to use all its power on either digital or analog, or is it somehow split, or dedicated inside the Naim XPS, as to what feeds what? I hope you follow what I mean, so in my mind, not only am I adding an extra power supply (Teddy), but my existing one (Naim XPS) is increasing its use, or concentrating it more, rather than splitting it, correct?

I think that question would be best answered by teddypardo themselves.
But i would say its bound to help as you are not also supplying the analog side from the one supply.
The digital input, socket 1 does most off the work and needs more power rails and can be felt from just touching the 2 power supplies, one runs much warmer than the other.

Hi andrew, will tried it and it lasted 5 minutes, compared to the twin box set up and the naim 555dr / teddy combo i have running for a few days it just sounded boring, it had just lost everything, sorry.
So put my 555dr back in and teddy on socket 2

Hi andrew, will tried it and it lasted 5 minutes, compared to the twin box set up and the naim 555dr / teddy combo i have running for a few days it just sounded boring, it had just lost everything, sorry.
So put my 555dr back in and teddy on socket 2

Hound - Thanks
Just to confirm - you compared the TXPS v TXPS/TXPS+ (or the TXPS v Naim 555/TXPS+)?

I put just the standard teddy xps and link plug on and it didn't last long, the sound just disappeared.
The twin teddy sounds much better, but i am liking the naim 555dr / teddy xps + combo and that is what i am running right now again.
This is my favourite out of all the combinations.

I put just the standard teddy xps and link plug on and it didn't last long, the sound just disappeared.
The twin teddy sounds much better, but i am liking the naim 555dr / teddy xps + combo and that is what i am running right now again.
This is my favourite out of all the combinations.

Are you able to expand on “the twin Teddy sounds much better”

advertisement

Back