advertisement

Teddypardo ND555 & NDS power supply is here

Andrew, i wont be able to do that, as i would need a XPS cable, i only have the 2 that come with a NDS.

Andrew, i wont be able to do that, as i would need a XPS cable, i only have the 2 that come with a NDS.

I am not a Brundy Expert - but I wonder if on eof the Brundys you have is infact an 11 pin XPS one ? If so then yoiu can power the NDS wth only a TXPS (but need to have the 'plug' in the NDS

http://nodecorporation.co.uk/xps0050.htm

There was discussion here - but no pictures - Mr Particel may be able to assist?

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-cd555-psu-burndy-pin-layout.64603/

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/burndy-pin-layout-for-xps2.7107/

I am not a Brundy Expert - but I wonder if on eof the Brundys you have is infact an 11 pin XPS one ? If so then yoiu can power the NDS wth only a TXPS (but need to have the 'plug' in the NDS

http://nodecorporation.co.uk/xps0050.htm

There was discussion here - but no pictures - Mr Particel may be able to assist?

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-cd555-psu-burndy-pin-layout.64603/

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/burndy-pin-layout-for-xps2.7107/

Better Picture here
http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home/power-supplies/chc-555ps

Tried to upload pics and i just dont seem to be able to do it?

Anyway a few pics on the naim classic face book page if you want to see

Tried to upload pics and i just dont seem to be able to do it?

Anyway a few pics on the naim classic face book page if you want to see

Hound
Thanks for your efforts - for professional reasons I am not on social media, so perhaps PM the photos?
IN the meant time I lok forward to your impresions of your new equipment

Well been using the new teddypardo 555 supply today and must say its working very well.
Both boxes are 100% quiet when being used and if it wasn't for the lights you wouldn't know they were on.

So on first play, i found the sound much as it had been with the naim 555dr which was nice, but on further listening i started to notice a few differences. A bit like the CHC555, at first i couldn't tell any difference even more so on my system as it was then, but it also has its own sound.

The teddy sounds detailed, sharp, a nice bass and nice wide sound and its very much the same as i have found all the teddy power supplies to sound on naim.
The midrange is not quite the same and has a softer feel, but the vocals and instruments are very sharp and have an added air or space around them. Its not a massive difference and might even be the fact that they are new but the top end is certainly a bit different.
I quite like the extra detail that i find the teddy power supplies give and its more lively approach to the music. I would say that they suit the digital side more and it will be interesting to see how it changes once it has burnt in a bit, as i believe its a freshly built one and it might lose a bit of its top end ?

But i must say right now i am very impressed with it and like the twin box separation it brings, as that must be an advantage ?
But going to leave it in and just use it and see how it goes for a few days and then swap it back over to the naim and see if i feel i have lost anything or gained.

Cheers dunc

Hound

Thank you for taking the time to post your early impressions of the TXPS-TXPS+ versus the Naim 555 or CHC555

As you know I use a TXPS only with my NDS – and from memory the unit took time to bed down (a week or so) – so I suspect that you will see a change – and look forward to your final impressions

One caveat is that I use a Teddy Brundy – so it may be that the TXPS/TXPS+ - sound different with the Teddy’s cables compared to the Nain Brundys that you are using.

I have never seen anyone report a head to head comparisons of these cables

NB

My interest is what the addition of a TXPS+ would bring to my TXPS with my NDS – and I suspect that there may be others as well who are also interested

I have looked at the Naim manual – and this confirms (page 3) that Brundy 1 is the ‘SXPS’ variant.

https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/def...nloads/files/nds_reference-manual_issue1l.pdf

This means that you could place the Link Plug on the second power socket and power your NDS *only* with the TXPS

This would then able you compare the TXPS to the TXPS-TXPS+

PM Sent

I see you are using the WH Morgana twixt pre and power.
Have you tried a WH Snaic for between the 552PS and the 552? When I had the 552, there certainly were big differences between Snaics of different provenance. Although they carry only DC for the front panel/logic(and no signal), upgraded Snaics are better shielded and have a lower DCR than the Naim version. A lower DCR makes for less of a potential difference for the different earths between the different voltage sources and the signal earth. If not...you should!
The guy who bought my 552 ended up with a Chord Signature TA Snaic for the 552, and said it was one of the largest upgrades he had made to that point.
Similar degrees of improvements can also be found for the (2)52 and NAT01 using better Snaics in the non-signal carrying positions.

Well exciting times, as i came home today to find a big box from Israel.

Best also say what i will be comparing them on.
NDS, standard naim cables, streaming and hires play back.
Melco N100 with upgrade separate power supply.
Naim 500dr
Naim 552dr
PMC fact 12 speakers with iso acoustic isolation feet
Whichhat phantom speaker cable.
Whichhat morgana XLR between amp and pre amp
Separate 10mm mains/ consumer unit. Mcru mains cables from 6 way block.

I have 24bit down loads that i can use along with 16bit. Plus i have ripped CD's all on the melco.
Think thats it for now, but cant wait to get started

Cheers dunc

Its been a few days now and decided to do an update and a few of my thoughts and findings So about an hour ago i decided to put the naim 555 back in and see if i could tell. But before i say what i found, i will explain how i had been getting on with the teddy.
Carrying on from the other day, i was still very much enjoying the sound, nice and fast, punchy bass, great detail and nice and lively. To be fair i have been enjoying it so much i wasn't really bothered about swapping it back lol, but i have and quite surprised. Now i did think that i had extra detail from the teddy, but thats not quite true, i think its more because its brighter and so easy to pick out, more than pulling out more detail. The other big difference is midrange, the teddy is certainly less and with that the bass has a bit less weight to it, as i guess the extra midrange is helping with adding some weight to the bass. I am not going to say that one sounds better than the other as thats not right, they both sound fabulous, but also a bit different, its not a massive difference, just a difference.
It would come down to what you prefer or if your system needed a boost in brightness, etc. But for the price difference i would certainly try one in your system, plus if you are looking at getting say a NDS second hand and dont have a power supply, then you could get the NDS and the Teddy power supplies to run it for under £5k and that's a great sounding streamer/dac for the money i think.
I must say that i like the twin box set up the teddy brings and this must be an advantage over the single naim and CHC, as naim themselves say an improvement is to be had by splitting the digital side from the analog side and you get this standard with the teddypardo. Also no transformer hum, no service costs, the cost savings keep coming.
I guess the big question is should you even be thinking about buying a teddypardo 555 power supply if you have a full naim system? Well if you can look past the badge and dont mind two boxes on the rack that look different then i say why not?
But if like me you already have a naim 555dr power supply, then would i sell it and replace it with the teddy? Well being 100% honest then NO, but before you say, well thats says it all, well no as my next test is what happens when you use both ? Well i am about to find out, as once i have finished this, i am going to connect the naim to the digital and use the teddy on the analog side and see what happens, as this for me is quite interesting and i guess it could be for many NDS and ND555 owners that like me already have a naim 555dr and would like an extra 555 to split the supplies, but dont want to spend naim 555dr money, as using 2 off them is costly, plus wasteful as you end up with lots not being used, but you have paided for them.
Right off to try it.

I will go back to just the teddypardo as i know they take time to burn in as my others did. But saying how its going day by day and things can change and i guess the main test will be the following weekend as it will then have had about 16 days

Its been a few days now and decided to do an update and a few of my thoughts and findings So about an hour ago i decided to put the naim 555 back in and see if i could tell. But before i say what i found, i will explain how i had been getting on with the teddy.
Carrying on from the other day, i was still very much enjoying the sound, nice and fast, punchy bass, great detail and nice and lively. To be fair i have been enjoying it so much i wasn't really bothered about swapping it back lol, but i have and quite surprised. Now i did think that i had extra detail from the teddy, but thats not quite true, i think its more because its brighter and so easy to pick out, more than pulling out more detail. The other big difference is midrange, the teddy is certainly less and with that the bass has a bit less weight to it, as i guess the extra midrange is helping with adding some weight to the bass. I am not going to say that one sounds better than the other as thats not right, they both sound fabulous, but also a bit different, its not a massive difference, just a difference.
It would come down to what you prefer or if your system needed a boost in brightness, etc. But for the price difference i would certainly try one in your system, plus if you are looking at getting say a NDS second hand and dont have a power supply, then you could get the NDS and the Teddy power supplies to run it for under £5k and that's a great sounding streamer/dac for the money i think.
I must say that i like the twin box set up the teddy brings and this must be an advantage over the single naim and CHC, as naim themselves say an improvement is to be had by splitting the digital side from the analog side and you get this standard with the teddypardo. Also no transformer hum, no service costs, the cost savings keep coming.
I guess the big question is should you even be thinking about buying a teddypardo 555 power supply if you have a full naim system? Well if you can look past the badge and dont mind two boxes on the rack that look different then i say why not?
But if like me you already have a naim 555dr power supply, then would i sell it and replace it with the teddy? Well being 100% honest then NO, but before you say, well thats says it all, well no as my next test is what happens when you use both ? Well i am about to find out, as once i have finished this, i am going to connect the naim to the digital and use the teddy on the analog side and see what happens, as this for me is quite interesting and i guess it could be for many NDS and ND555 owners that like me already have a naim 555dr and would like an extra 555 to split the supplies, but dont want to spend naim 555dr money, as using 2 off them is costly, plus wasteful as you end up with lots not being used, but you have paided for them.
Right off to try it.

Hound

Many thanks
As well as the 555 + TXPS+ trial please could you also try to power the NDS with only the TXPS (with the Link Plug in socket 2) - and then compare to the TXPS with the TXPS+?

Its been a few days now and decided to do an update and a few of my thoughts and findings .....Right off to try it.

Hi Hound,

I think this is an excellent post. In these strata of HiFi I think it is very unusual to find a simple black and white winner, it all depends ....and context is King; including the size of your wallet.

Thanks for the reports,

M

I don't see this power supply listed on the TP website yet? You said that there is a reduced price if you buy before the year end but how can you do that if there is no listing for it on the website?

I already have 2 ps555 one for streamer one for cd555

it will be nice that i can use 2 Naim PS for streamer and TPS for cd555 for different taste

or maybe even 2 of them if makes sense

Mark they are not available as yet and i think i have one of not many right now.
You will have to wait for them to come available to see how price goes as i dont know, sorry.

Emrei
Have you ever tried splitting them, as in one 555ps does socket 1 on streamer and socket 2 does cd player and the other 555ps the opposite to this?
As i guess it could be good as lond as it works ok, as you would get separation i would think on both units that way

Well i am fully loving it tonight as it has come on song, was a tad bright at first and a bit bass light, then last night it went a bit dull, to the extent i tried it with my naim 555 on socket 1 and teddy on socket 2.
But tonight swapped it back to all teddy and just sat back and enjoying it, it just sounds fabulous tonight and i hope that its stopped burning in and changing in sound as right now its just fantastic, extra clarity and lovely base weight, the speakers have almost disappeared its so wide.

As you probably tell i am liking this, the naim555dr is not shabby by any means, but right now tonight its been kicked and its one off them moments that you dont want to turn it off in case it sounds different when you turn it back on, or more any cables or black boxes lol.

Just wish you could hear it

The raison d'etre of the TP split 555PS I think is to offer people who already have a CD555 or NDS with an XPS (or variant thereof) or a 555PS (or variant thereof) to fully utilize the second voltage feed without havining to spring for a 555PS ore quivalent, only to let 60% of it stay unused. The XPS+ supply is what makes this more than a me-too product.

Back in the day people were using a Prefix with a Supercap (I know, because I was one of them)...even though 7/8 of the Supercap was dormant-hardly great VFM.

Those lucky few who own BOTH a CD555 and an ND555/NDS would need to purchase fully FOUR 555PS-DR to maximise performance-an imposing investment even for the well-heeled afficionado.

It seems a little odd that until now, nobody thought of making a digital only 555PS type supply, to fill the ever increasing void.

advertisement

Back