advertisement

Teddypardo ND555 & NDS power supply is here

I put just the standard teddy xps and link plug on and it didn't last long, the sound just disappeared.
The twin teddy sounds much better, but i am liking the naim 555dr / teddy xps + combo and that is what i am running right now again.
This is my favourite out of all the combinations.
You need to hear 2 555psdr aş well:)

Andrew
I think page 2 just about covers it, but to further add. I guess that with a xps as its doing it all and some rails are powering more, then its pushed harder. It certainly gets warmer like this, so i guess its working harder and being pushed more to its limit, once you add the second supply and reduce its work load, plus add the separation and transformer in the second box. It allows it all to work better and you can hear the difference.
I still say that its a bit brighter and less midrange which also hurts the bass weight a bit over the naim555dr, but for the price difference and going forward costs its a bargin. But as i said right from the start it has the teddypardo sound and the naim has the naim sound, both sound great, just slightly different. I will also add that on my last system the difference i feel would have been less noticeable, but my system know is very revealing and the difference is quite easy to hear.

I hope this helps, but i would say, as you already have a teddypardo xps, i will say you will 100% like the xps plus to go with it

Emrei

Well yes i guess i would, but for me the cost off a naim 555dr to add to the one i have, just to use 2 power rails from it is not a great value for money.
But keeping the one i have and adding the teddypardo xps plus to it is good value for money and brings with it nice uplift.
I gain the same separation, the 555 having to work less that adding a second naim 555dr would, but without the cost.
The naim sound signature remains, i have a much smaller case to try and find room for, its 100% quite, it will never need a service unless it breaks.
So quite a few advantages really.

Its a shame naim themselves have not done something like this as using 2 555dr's is very wasteful and costly, but then naim are in it to take our cash, so i guess why would they do something like that, that would save its customers money and give the same result.

Taken from teddypardo site

The TeddyPardo power supplies have a major advantage over the original Naim products, they don't require maintenance or recapping. The performance of the large electrolytic capacitors used by the HiCap or XPS degrade over time and they need to be replaced every 10 years or so. Recapping is an expensive operation that requires sending the power supply for servicing. If you buy a used Naim power supply it will most likely require recapping. Our power supplies are disigned differently and don't rely on the performance of the large elctrolityc capacitors.

Thanks - yes just read all about it now on the TP site......if their design is so superior why aren't Naim producing power supplies in the same way?

Well it was rumoured that its because off teddypardo and another, naim introduce the DR range to bridge the cap.
As the DR does bring a slightly different and new sound, which is brighter and released the details better.
But naim has always used massive transformers and large capacitors, but its not the only way

Andrew
I think page 2 just about covers it, but to further add. I guess that with a xps as its doing it all and some rails are powering more, then its pushed harder. It certainly gets warmer like this, so i guess its working harder and being pushed more to its limit, once you add the second supply and reduce its work load, plus add the separation and transformer in the second box. It allows it all to work better and you can hear the difference.
I still say that its a bit brighter and less midrange which also hurts the bass weight a bit over the naim555dr, but for the price difference and going forward costs its a bargin. But as i said right from the start it has the teddypardo sound and the naim has the naim sound, both sound great, just slightly different. I will also add that on my last system the difference i feel would have been less noticeable, but my system know is very revealing and the difference is quite easy to hear.

I hope this helps, but i would say, as you already have a teddypardo xps, i will say you will 100% like the xps plus to go with it

Hound

Many thanks - so you will keep to the 555/TXPS+ then!

Yes I will as like I said it gives a slight performance lift, that for the money is fine.
Would be also nice to see what it was like on the ND555.
I have sold the CHC555 now as I preferred the naim and the teddy and going to use the teddy instead of the chc

Well actually i am just using my naim555dr right now, to see if i feel like i am missing anything.

Well actually i am just using my naim555dr right now, to see if i feel like i am missing anything.

Hound
Now the Teddy power supplies are burnt in, can you describe why you prefer (or what is the difference) between the 555 and the TXPS on its own or the TXPS/TXPS+

To be fair its pretty much the same as it was right from the start.
The teddy twin supply is slightly brighter and has less midrange which i also found impacts on the weight of the bass, the bass is good, fast and punchy, but just has a bit less weight to it. I did think it pulled more detail out, but thats down to the extra brightness i think, as its easy to hear.
Obviously the naim 555Dr has the naim sound and keeps the sound signature, it works very well together as it should.
The teddy Xps on its own, sounds ok, but if you are going from a 555Dr supply then it just doesn't cut it anymore, it just not as good in almost everything, the bass lacks the same punch, the sound just isn't as wide and its just not as dynamic. The nds really does need a better power supply.

The new teddypardo twin box lifts the performance and brings it close to the naim555dr and for the price difference is a bargin. It has its advantages over the naim and also disadvantages.
I can't see any naim555dr owners selling and swapping over, but i can see a few trying the xps + on socket 2. I can also see new NDS owners buying the teddypardo if they dont have anything to power it with, as it makes for a cheap alternative. Also anyone with a xps already, this is a great way to go.

Did you get it for the 999 price? Does anyone know if they will ship to Canada? I have offered to trade my XPSDR for a pair of Harbeth speakers with a dealer near me. If he bites, I will grab both Teddy power supplies, if he does not, I will probably keep my XPSDR, and just add the Teddy XPS plus. I am a bit confused about the pricing too, are they not located in Isreal? Would I be able to pay in Canadian funds?
Edit: ok, I just went to the Teddy website, and you can select Canadian as “currency”, so I assume they will ship here...good news.

Did you get it for the 999 price? Does anyone know if they will ship to Canada? I have offered to trade my XPSDR for a pair of Harbeth speakers with a dealer near me. If he bites, I will grab both Teddy power supplies, if he does not, I will probably keep my XPSDR, and just add the Teddy XPS plus. I am a bit confused about the pricing too, are they not located in Isreal? Would I be able to pay in Canadian funds?
Edit: ok, I just went to the Teddy website, and you can select Canadian as “currency”, so I assume they will ship here...good news.

Yes they will ship to Canada, have ordered a few of his products over the years & never any issues shipping here.

The teddy twin supply is slightly brighter and has less midrange which i also found impacts on the weight of the bass, the bass is good, fast and punchy, but just has a bit less weight to it. I did think it pulled more detail out, but thats down to the extra brightness i think, as its easy to hear.
Obviously the naim 555Dr has the naim sound and keeps the sound signature, it works very well together as it should.
The teddy Xps on its own, sounds ok, but if you are going from a 555Dr supply then it just doesn't cut it anymore, it just not as good in almost everything, the bass lacks the same punch, the sound just isn't as wide and its just not as dynamic. The nds really does need a better power supply.

The new teddypardo twin box lifts the performance and brings it close to the naim555dr and for the price difference is a bargin. It has its advantages over the naim and also disadvantages.
I can't see any naim555dr owners selling and swapping over, but i can see a few trying the xps + on socket 2. I can also see new NDS owners buying the teddypardo if they dont have anything to power it with, as it makes for a cheap alternative. Also anyone with a xps already, this is a great way to go.

Hound
Many thanks - I have only used a TXPS on my NDS and have always suspected that I am missing a little bit of bass from my system

Andrew
I would try adding the second xps+ to it and see if you like it, asif you dont you can always send it back as you do get a free time trial

advertisement

Back