advertisement

Hard times for Linn

Why would it matter where the person that runs it is based? I'm in Spain and not especially interested in UK brands (though not uninterested either). But yeah, PFM does seem to focus on Naim, Exposure, Quad, Linn, Rega, and all those BBC speakers.

Fortunately Bose is rarely mentioned on PFM.

Sonos? Too bad Logitech doesn't make squeezeboxes any more.
Sonos are good VFM but don’t really measure up to a Linn DS (I have had both), the Linn system is more open, does AirPlay, room correction and handles higher resolutions... oh and it sounds better... albeit at a higher price. Something that the Linn DS doesn’t do is WIFI, the use a wired Ethernet connection (although that’s easily sorted with a home plug).

Is this a UK only forum ?
I thought we were on the internet, "inter" as in international
The Forum owner, Tony L is British as are most of the moderation team (I think Joe P is Canadian but I may be wrong)... the forum is worldwide.

Sonos are good VFM but don’t really measure up to a Linn DS (I have had both), the Linn system is more open, does AirPlay, room correction and handles higher resolutions... oh and it sounds better... albeit at a higher price. Something that the Linn DS doesn’t do is WIFI, the use a wired Ethernet connection (although that’s easily sorted with a home plug).

Your subjective assessment of the superiority of the Linn system is noted. :)

No idea. Does it matter? Can you point me to any mainstream commercial recordings or domestic listening rooms with a dynamic range exceeding 100 dB?

I was after alternative recommendations (i.e a comparison) as a point of debate, so why do I need to? I was trying to ascertain whether its specification did or not to compare equally to a Linn streamer.

So I'll point you to the fact that you've missed the point.

I was after alternative recommendations (i.e a comparison) as a point of debate, so why do I need to? I was trying to ascertain whether its specification did or not to compare equally to a Linn streamer.

The full specifications of pretty much any given device will be different from any other device. Some specifications matter, others don't.

See my post #203 earlier in this thread.....
IFor me, pioneering ideas in HiFi, or firms that really pushed the boundaries might be Quad? Tannoy? Garrard? AR? Thorens? Technics? Yamaha? KEF? B&W? Leak? Revox? Class D amp designers? Electrostatic speaker pioneers? MC cartridge designers? Stylus profile experiments? Micromega? Phillips? Mosfet amps? The Sony Walkman? The arrival of digital media? (And here I should write etc etc). Linn in particular were the masters of gradual refinement. Rega make a solid line of kit from good to excellent at sensible prices so that is admirable but I can't see any contribution to innovative engineering and Naim? I don't know Naim so can't comment. I do recall systems balancing on 8 or 10 shelves..was that innovation or salesmanship?? Your three are the amongst best of what is around now, but that IMO rests on the foundations laid by other more innovative engineers long before.

IFor me, pioneering ideas in HiFi, or firms that really pushed the boundaries might be Quad? Tannoy? Garrard? AR? Thorens? Technics? Yamaha? KEF? B&W? Leak? Revox? Class D amp designers? Electrostatic speaker pioneers? MC cartridge designers? Stylus profile experiments? Micromega? Phillips? Mosfet amps? The Sony Walkman? The arrival of digital media? (And here I should write etc etc). Linn in particular were the masters of gradual refinement. Rega make a solid line of kit from good to excellent at sensible prices so that is admirable but I can't see any contribution to innovative engineering and Naim? I don't know Naim so can't comment. I do recall systems balancing on 8 or 10 shelves..was that innovation or salesmanship?? Your three are the amongst best of what is around now, but that IMO rests on the foundations laid by other more innovative engineers long before.

That was not what my post was about, the fact back in the late 70's and early 80's HiFi was one of the products that people were buying was a good HiFi.

If it was not for the three companies I mentioned and the few shops selling them then the HiFi we know today may well have been completely different, that is my point.

When I went to buy my first serious HiFi I bought second hand, Thorens and Quad, it was fine, but when I started to read in the HIFi magazines about this better turntable and amps I ventured into one of the shops that had started to lead the way into getting better results from what would be called a HiFi system, which included Linn, Naim and Rega.

It took seconds of a demo to hear that the LP12 was far ahead of the decks I was able to listen to there, my friend bought on the spot and I did some three weeks later. I think most of my friends who were into listening to music either listened to my LP12 against the Thorens in my house or went to listen in the shop and buy and LP12.

You had to be there on a Saturday to see the number of Rega turntables that were bought, it was astounding, there were a few LP12 bought each Saturday but Rega's were selling many many more and the number of people who then upgraded to an LP12 later on was very high.

Of the companies you mention they did not invent the items they became famous for, speakers, turntables and amps were invented long before and they just like Linn made improvements and changes in direction to get the result they are known for.

My point is that through good products and marketing Linn, Naim and Rega changed the UK buying market and Linn especially the International market.

Over the past 40 years those three companies have refined or changed their product line up to refect what they see as their target market.

This is not the first time Linn has had an issue with it's accounts, I am sure both Naim and Rega have had similar years, however Linn being the company it is and the press coverage it gets any chance to show it has an issue is made public and then the usual theories on what is happening start. Unless you work for the accounting company that audited their accounts or are on the board of directors of Linn I would suggest that nobody except those will know what is actually going on.

Does Sonos handle 24 bit?
No. But that's no big deal.

To be fair a Sonos starter streaming setup is dirt cheap compared to the entry Linn sekrt streamers.

We are talking £299 for a Connect vs £1700 ish for a Linn streamer. So you might expect differences.

Sonos on board dacs not stunning imho either. But they aren't poor. Were you to pair gen sonos with a better dac, you can elevate its performance compared to a Linn box. £1400 buys a decent dac.

As you point out Linn SW, connections etc, not as good as Sonos. ANd that is lines biggest challenges - SW and interoperability.

To be fair a Sonos starter streaming setup is dirt cheap compared to the entry Linn sekrt streamers.

We are talking £299 for a Connect vs £1700 ish for a Linn streamer. So you might expect differences.

Sonos on board dacs not stunning imho either. But they aren't poor. Were you to pair gen sonos with a better dac, you can elevate its performance compared to a Linn box. £1400 buys a decent dac.

As you point out Linn SW, connections etc, not as good as Sonos. ANd that is lines biggest challenges - SW and interoperability.
I’d check out the new Sonos Port. If it’s performance is in line with the new Sonos Amp it should be a cracker. I’m tempted to replace my Airport Express with one for my main setup.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/port.html

I genuinely don’t think a Sonos system can match the sound quality of a Linn streamer regardless of DAC used having owned both.

An Auralic Aries Mini can get uncomfortably close though! - but having said that Linn DS products have great sound quality and user appeal.

Linn have backed the right horses in sticking with vinyl and embracing streaming but their main issues are in digitising the sound signal from the LP12 and for me the sound quality of their modern amps and speakers which always sound a bit dry to me. LP12s are still musical communicators and remain iconic.

I genuinely don’t think a Sonos system can match the sound quality of a Linn streamer regardless of DAC used having owned both.

An Auralic Aries Mini can get uncomfortably close though! - but having said that Linn DS products have great sound quality and user appeal.

Linn have backed the right horses in sticking with vinyl and embracing streaming but their main issues are in digitising the sound signal from the LP12 and for me the sound quality of their modern amps and speakers which always sound a bit dry to me. LP12s are still musical communicators and remain iconic.

Absolutely agree with all that. Their streamers, to me, are excellent but was never taken with their other gear at all.

I'm very curious to hear some of the other brands listed above as a comparison. In particular the Lumin, Auralic and Moon streamers look very interesting.

If it was not for the three companies I mentioned and the few shops selling them then the HiFi we know today may well have been completely different, that is my point.

Well, at exactly the same time I was working in a HiFi store part time, which sold none of the three and it too was buzzing. Decks on offer were Thorens, Elite Townshend, Pink Triangle and the odd cheaper model from Japan. I didn't get to hear a Linn until I wanted to upgrade my Thorens TD150 and auditioned an LP12, a PT and a Rock Mk2. The PT won, quite easily but I never brought one because in my home system, the Rock was better. The Linn was last. Later, as Linn fever developed I visited another Linn dealer in Cambridge for an arranged audition and was met with such a dismissive attitude about all my HiFi ideas and current kit (some brought with me for comparison) that I walked away before any listening took place at all. After that I gave up and joined the 'round earthers'. You see the point is, that each of us have our own HiFi journey, brands we like, dealers we trust, etc, but at least, I feel. my choices were never made for me by over-evangalstic dealers with a clear bias. Selling good kit is one thing. being rude about everyone elses' only works if you preach to the converted. I wasn't converted and clearly, you were. There it is :) Moving on!...

advertisement

Back