advertisement

Hard times for Linn

LOL, this is the thread that just keeps on giving! Turn things around? We haven't even established there is a problem outside of some financial 'expert' poster's analysis of a few headline figures 'proving' the company is one step from bankruptcy. Just repeating an ill conceived conclusion over and over does not make it true!

Yeah but ... you did have a house. Lots of young people nowadays are priced out of the housing market, especially in London. Even when I was a student, my student digs were in old tenements - nice big hi-fi friendly rooms. I could live with over the sink water heater and paraffin stove heating. Now student digs are micro cupboards. All mod cons maybe, but nowhere to put your stereo, let alone have a party. And the tenements where I had my digs were gentrified years ago.

my heart bleeds, not. I was on quite a low wage at the time and interest rates up to 15%. I gave up stuff to buy a home, sold my car and didn’t go out much. Choices.

This is a weird thread full of doom and gloom for Linn and some bloke almost rerunning the Yorkshiremen sketch (we lived in a shoebox... you were lucky!).

Linn seem to have headed towards the lifestyle market and if you want to buy you can pop down to Harrods.

There are a lot of people who can afford this stuff and Harrods only let you sell in their shop if you make a good mark up.

The demise of Ivor is somewhat premature.

I haven't read the whole thread and I too sympathise with the potential plight of the workers. However, I can't help thinking Linn are more than a bit responsible. Their attitude to dealers at times has been dreadful. I've also experienced the fake foot tapping bullshit. Their prices for many bits may well be in line with others, but their pricing of the LP12 is now ludicrous. I've also seen the fake shocked surprise and bewilderment when you admit to not being impressed by some bit of Linn kit, or the barely concealed head shaking etc.. as if you are a slightly naughty child who ought to know better. I've even experienced this sort of thing from Linn reps when working as a salesperson. "Other stuff 'can be ok', but once they get it.. they all come around to Linn.". Err.. no.. they don't. Just like all other kit, Linn is variable..imperfect and fallible. And their suport for older kit isn't wonderful either. Contrast their general 'pitch' with that of many who make equally good and equally expensive kit, but don't have the 'attitude'.
I can relate to a lot of that, i find everyone conforming like that a bit creepy, its just weird and unnatural, cult - like, the Scientology of hifi, no room for Independant thought and as i found to my cost your face no longer fits at the hifi shop, later went on to work at a “normal” hifi shop, and eventually run it. I also found b&o training course a bit like that, with an elitist attitude, they were also a bit up their own backsides. Despite all this I’ve still got some 90s linn hifi and enjoy it.

This is a weird thread full of doom and gloom for Linn and some bloke almost rerunning the Yorkshiremen sketch (we lived in a shoebox... you were lucky!).

Linn seem to have headed towards the lifestyle market and if you want to buy you can pop down to Harrods.

There are a lot of people who can afford this stuff and Harrods only let you sell in their shop if you make a good mark up.

The demise of Ivor is somewhat premature.

They're following 2 parallel paths - lifestyle and traditional - apparently the reason they now have 2 websites, although that just looks like a dogs dinner way to go about it, particularly as the Selekt fits comfortably in both camps.
My hope is that their investments pay off, they finally get someone in marketing who understands what Exakt is and how to sell it, and they go from strength to strength after CV.

Hi,
If you examine the following website, the Linn Valhalla was sold for £598 in 1990.
http://www.hoth.uk/LP12-FAQ.htm

Using an inflation website, the 2019 cost would be £1,228.50

Linn sell their LP12 Klimax for £18,670
https://www.whathifi.com/linn/klimax-lp12/review

Despite that you get more equipment for the Linn Klimax than the Linn Valhalla, the 10x (at least) price increase greater than inflation, probably cannot be justified by most people.

It would seem that moving Linn turntables to a Veblen goods approach is not working ??

Regards,
Shadders.

Well the supply of suckers is now depleted I guess.

Well the supply of suckers is now depleted I guess.

But they still seem to hang around here from time to time, judging by the gullability displayed.

Today the Majik LP12 is the entry level. It comes with a power supply that's more effective than the Valhalla and a very good quality tonearm, in addition to the Karousel bearing, a revised plinth and a new subchassis. Its list price is £2930. That doesn't seem so bad to compare against an inferior product with no arm at £1228.
But hey, logical thinking like that doesn't fit with the opportunity to have a feeble bash at them and their customers does it?

advertisement

Back