advertisement

Hard times for Linn

I bought my LP12 in 1992 or 3. It came 'Cirkussed' and with a s/h Valhalla... for £646. I soon gave it a s/h Lingo1, and a s/h but mint Ittok LVIII Mk2.

What I loved about the Linn was the neat styling, the relatively compact build and the 'air' of quality. Little details.. like the way the lid hinges worked, were very satisfying. There's no doubt it sounded better than any of my previous decks up to that point. but I never did hear the 'magic' I was supposed to hear. A 're-set', didn't make any difference. I'm also happy to admit that there was something of a 'rite of passage' element in my getting a Linn. I needed a new deck and having heard a few LP12s decided it was worth a go. It seems most of us do it at some point. It was a mistake for me.. but I couldn't afford to do anything about it for a long time.

What I didn't like about the Linn was the rather shoddy state of things 'under the hood'. They didn't live up to the sheen of the exterior. The whole 'p clip' thing was frankly an elaborate joke to me.

Still many thousands of people like their LP12s..and that's the name of the game in the final analysis... almost. I genuinely believe that many buy Linn. or Naim.. or B&O or whatever.. because they like it. And that is how it should be.

However, I'd postulate that many others buy similar kit for the entirely different reason that they think ownership of such kit indicates to their particular peer group, that they have 'arrived'. The same psychology can undoubtedly be applied to ownership of cars and other stuff.

Obviously I don't fall into such traps any more....
I’ve always loved the looks of a well cared for LP12. I’ve had three LP12s, the first was a pre Cirkus model with a Valhalla and an original Akito, it was definitely a step up from my Rega 3 but I knew there was more to be had, and found it in the shape of an almost brand new Cirkus model, which I had fitted with a used Lingo, an Ittok and a new Akiva... I quickly swapped the Ittok for an Ekos 2 and the Lingo for a Lingo 2, I got a killer deal on both used, the whole upgrade cost about £450 and was worth every penny... finally I got a used Keel and that was it, best deck I’ve ever owned.

My third deck was snapped up very cheap from a local classified ad, a very late pre Cirkus model with an Ittok and a dead Valhalla (the ad read something like “my late father in law’s old turntable, not working, need it gone this week or it goes to the tip”), it was in time warp condition, I got rid of the Ittok and fitted a Roksan Nima, fitted a Hercules PSU (proceeds of the Ittok pain for the new arm and PSU) and finally a lightly used Kontrapunkt B. That deck was hands down the best bang for buck deck I’ve owned (cost me under £700). I really, really regret selling it. I had to sell the Cirkus/Keeled deck to help fund a house move but if I’d still owned the “Nima” deck, I’d have promoted that to main deck duties and still have very happily been using it now.

I think LP12s are absolutely stunning in full “SE” and above spec... their older arms such as the Basik, Akito and even the Ittok (controversial I know) are underwhelming, so unless I could afford an Ekos, I’d be looking outside of Linn for an arm. I’m tempted to build another LP12 with a Nima and maybe a Lingo 4 just be happy with it for the long term The Nima is an amazing match!

I'm looking forward to bumping this thread in a year's time when Linn are still trading! And the year after....

As for all this whinging about Linn dealers and their devious evil marketing techniques no one ever forced anyone to buy a Linn product so if you feel you got suckered by them then I would take along hard look in the mirror as to where the problem lies... what was that about it always being someone else's fault? :D

I'm looking forward to bumping this thread in a year's time when Linn are still trading! And the year after....

And that will have much more to do with you thinking you've been proved right.. than anything else...

As for all this whinging about Linn dealers and their devious evil marketing techniques no one ever forced anyone to buy a Linn product so if you feel you got suckered by them then I would take along hard look in the mirror as to where the problem lies... what was that about it always being someone else's fault? :D

Once more.. you add 2 and 2 and arrive at 5... It's getting exceptionally tedious now.

As my previous post was deleted (it was a tad rude to be fair) I will just say again that the above was a light hearted generalised comment intended to move us on hence the smiley. Suggest we draw a line in the sand for the good of the thread and other posters reading it.

I’m sure they’ll be fine. Hopefully this time next year, I can buy a brand new LP12 motor unit (as in the bare beck, still available for about £1750) and add my own arm (a new or used Nima) and a Lingo (either a used one or a new Lingo 4 if budget permits).

When I bought mine it was described as 'mechanicals only'.. but that was back when the chassis, subchassis and motor were standard. I'd imagine that these days the possibility of the Keel, Kore etc, or other options means you have to be a bit more specific.

Yep.. it's all here under 'build your own TT' Which actually means choose your options level and cost, then your dealer will put it together and 'tune' it for you.

https://www.linn.co.uk/sources/turntables#build

Curious - apart from Naim (not for me) which other brands produce streamers with the same quality, features (Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, TuneIn, Roon) and control points for ios/android/mac and windows like Linn do?

They are quite hard to compete with when you consider all that, streamer wise.

Genuine question.

Curious - apart from Naim (not for me) which other brands produce streamers with the same quality, features (Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, TuneIn, Roon) and control points for ios/android/mac and windows like Linn do?

Sonos? Too bad Logitech doesn't make squeezeboxes any more.

They are quite hard to compete with when you consider all that, streamer wise.

Genuine question.

Lumin
Bluesound
Auralic
Moon
Cambridge Audio
Pro-ject
Yamaha
Denon

and many more

If naim or linn went pop would hi-fi forums even exist;)
hahahahahaahha...that was in jest I assume/ I remember a fond 8(?) years at the Wigwam when neither make was mentioned week in week out. Not so sure about AOS, but PFM has been known to be politely neutral on the subject (ie, allows a few loony flat earthers to rant on without censor) for an age.
Try a US or Japanese forum, where they are far more fervent about their HiFi than we are in the UK. :)

Why would it matter where the person that runs it is based? I'm in Spain and not especially interested in UK brands (though not uninterested either). But yeah, PFM does seem to focus on Naim, Exposure, Quad, Linn, Rega, and all those BBC speakers.

hahahahahaahha...that was in jest I assume/ I remember a fond 8(?) years at the Wigwam when neither make was mentioned week in week out. Not so sure about AOS, but PFM has been known to be politely neutral on the subject (ie, allows a few loony flat earthers to rant on without censor) for an age.
Try a US or Japanese forum, where they are far more fervent about their HiFi than we are in the UK. :)
Kind of, but anything with naim or linn on the title always runs for multiple pages

Why would it matter where the person that runs it is based? I'm in Spain and not especially interested in UK brands (though not uninterested either). But yeah, PFM does seem to focus on Naim, Exposure, Quad, Linn, Rega, and all those BBC speakers.

I'm a big fan of classic British hifi
In generel its much better than anything else IMO

Most manufacture nowadays, moved to Asia, reduce the enthusiasm admittedly

advertisement

Back