advertisement

Cricket - The Ashes 2019

This thread is titled Ashes 2019 and has been good fun and a nice read until today.

I understand there are many who are perplexed at May awarding Boycott a gong but if they really need to take to the keyboard to grind their axes could they do so on a new thread dedicated to this purpose rather than spoiling the joy brought to many by this year's test series and who have shared pleasantries on here.

Ray

Context is everything, as you say. Listen to the interview. Over 6 million people on average from throughout Britain listen including millions of women. There’s your context.
You are correct, I just don't like 'love' being seen a pejorative term, I use it all the time.

I stand uncorrected. Boycott has no informal or cosy relationship with Kearney and used the term in a patronising way to demonstrate his irritation at being asked about his criminal record. Sir Wifebeater doesn't have a term of endearment for anyone outside of his reflection.
It's a very fair point, I was just pointing out that the term 'love' is not a negative or sexist one in itself. I don't really agree with his knighthood & I think honours are given out too freely. He is a great cricket commentator thoigh

Step inside.

I guess most people here aren't from Yorkshire. People tend to speak their mind. Regardless of the consequences.

Forgive Sir Geoffrey his foibles and misdemeanours. ( if true - it must be said)

He's forgotten more than many people here could ever know about cricket.

He is one of the last living legends of the game and it really saddens me to see the vitriolic bile written by some people on here. I hope you're happy and sleep well with those thoughts.

The year 1985. The present Mrs C and myself have just moved into our new house in Ascot. Neighbours moved in shortly afterwards and were from Yorkshire. Introductions all round and finding out that I was also a Yorkie .... the first question.....'Are you for Boycott or not?'

The year 1985. The present Mrs C and myself have just moved into our new house in Ascot. Neighbours moved in shortly afterwards and were from Yorkshire. Introductions all round and finding out that I was also a Yorkie .... the first question.....'Are you for Boycott or not?'
Did you consider a boycott?

Was that the year they were trying to boot him off YCC commitee?

Anyone here following the cricket?

Yep - and from the start. Been working a bit, hence no posting for a while. here goes:

Its not only the captains fault his fellow batsmen have failed to deliver.

We have selectors who are happy to persevere, rather than blink, when things are not right. We need to make our minds up about that one way or the other. I've followed England since 1977 as a 12 yr old, and much prefer someone being given a chance. I've seen knee[jerk selecting, and it doesn't work.

If we had a fully fit bowling attack, would we have rotated them?

Why has Curran not been selected, especially at Manchester, where AUS bowlers got the ball swinging nicely?

Why do some have a propensity to diss Root as captain? It reads very similar to a few years ago when Cook was also being dissed.

Finally, expecting May to consider the impact on domestic violence survivors by knighting GB is, frankly, ridiculous.

Yep - and from the start. Been working a bit, hence no posting for a while. here goes:

Its not only the captains fault his fellow batsmen have failed to deliver.

We have selectors who are happy to persevere, rather than blink, when things are not right. We need to make our minds up about that one way or the other. I've followed England since 1977 as a 12 yr old, and much prefer someone being given a chance. I've seen knee[jerk selecting, and it doesn't work.

If we had a fully fit bowling attack, would we have rotated them?

Why has Curran not been selected, especially at Manchester, where AUS bowlers got the ball swinging nicely?

Why do some have a propensity to diss Root as captain? It reads very similar to a few years ago when Cook was also being dissed.

Finally, expecting May to consider the impact on domestic violence survivors by knighting GB is, frankly, ridiculous.
Australia have rotated their bowlers really well, kept them all fresh, we never do this.

The Root criticism is groundless really as Australia always pick their best eleven & choose a captain from that group, preferably someone who is unlikely to be dropped.

Re GB, the whole thing is odd as the incident happened 20 plus years ago & was hotly disputed at the time. He was found guilty though so that bars him from honours in my view. May would not have done this if she was still in office.

Ladies and Gents
We’re off today to the Midi for a month or two. We have no telly or t’internet out there but I’ll follow daily scores on 4G. I’ll miss the cricket and wise counsel on here but 28°- 32° are ample consolation.
Hope to see many of you on the Rugby World Cup thread.
Mick (and Jo)

advertisement

Back