advertisement

Cricket - The Ashes 2019

A well-rounded, modern individual Boycott is not and I agree with Matthewr that he should have got off the stage talking about cricket quite a while ago too.

As for Wacko....are you really saying that most of the people who voted to leave the EU did so on the understanding that in the future UK they will be able to beat up women without punishment from the law?

Anyway, this is a gentle cricket thread so could you and your mate thedecameron do one and not contaminate it with your anti-brexit guff.

Ray

A well-rounded, modern individual Boycott is not and I agree with Matthewr that he should have got off the stage talking about cricket quite a while ago too.

As for Wacko....are you really saying that most of the people who voted to leave the EU did so on the understanding that in the future UK they will be able to beat up women without punishment from the law?

Anyway, this is a gentle cricket thread so could you and your mate thedecameron do one and not contaminate it with your anti-brexit guff.

Ray

It was Boycott who brought Brexit into it. His claim was that in France you are guilty until proven innocent and that he wouldn't have been convicted in England. He then added that it formed his attitude to Brexit. You have to score a lot of runs to get a brain like that.

Catch the interview, it's a hoot. The old adage "better to be silent and thought a fool (or wifebeater) than open your mouth and remove all doubt" came to mind.

Catch the Today interview with Boycott from this morning, when asked if he felt it might have been delayed by his conviction for domestic violence he became quite aggressive, addressing the female interviewer as "love" and stating that "I don't give a toss". Very measured, can't imagine him becoming aggressive..........
Allow me to correct you, the word 'love' is used differently in some parts of Yorkshire, it can be used to address both male & females; it is a term of endearment or informality. When I first moved to Sheffield I was a little disconcerted to be called 'love' by male bus drivers. However, having said all that, I am sure the context was rather different from Sir Geoffrey. It is not a sexist or dismissive term as in other parts of the country so it's use should not be criticism if the speaker is from Yorkshire.

Allow me to correct you, the word 'love' is used differently in some parts of Yorkshire, it can be used to address both male & females; it is a term of endearment or informality. When I first moved to Sheffield I was a little disconcerted to be called 'love' by male bus drivers. However, having said all that, I am sure the context was rather different from Sir Geoffrey. It is not a sexist or dismissive term as in other parts of the country so it's use should not be criticism if the speaker is from Yorkshire.
Context is everything, as you say. Listen to the interview. Over 6 million people on average from throughout Britain listen including millions of women. There’s your context.

I stand uncorrected. Boycott has no informal or cosy relationship with Kearney and used the term in a patronising way to demonstrate his irritation at being asked about his criminal record. Sir Wifebeater doesn't have a term of endearment for anyone outside of his reflection.

God is a Yorkshireman and Sir Geoffrey is his prophet upon this earth.

I have recently been on Hajj to Headingley and would ask you respect my sincerely held belief.

Many modern catholics may have an issue with the edicts on birth control or some parts of the old testament - such as how much to sell your daughter for, or the need to stone to death those who wear both cotton and wool.

I also disagree with Sir Geoffrey on Europe. And French jurisprudence.

But on all things cricket his is the infallible word of God. He is always right.

I realise that you get your kicks out of being nasty minded but this is a thread about cricket. Are you from Scotland or something?

I really hope Sir Geoffreys lawyers are reading this. Slander on the internet? Punishable crime now isn't it?

He was convicted. Have you seen the photos of her face ? He was a cricketer who has been knighted. These comments are relevant to cricket.

Actually, technically Root is the greatest living Englishman (and Yorkshireman) but he hasn't retired yet. In 2015 he was the greatest Englishmen ever.

OK I lied.

I quite agree Jon. But he's not Captain material. Never was. Never will be. I love him to bits as a quality batsman but I hope he relinquishes the captaincy (to who hmm I don't know) and things can just like , Move On.

Y'know?

advertisement

Back