advertisement

Name Dropping.

And my sister dated Peter Frampton for a while back in the 70s.

Steve Marriott used to live in our village, and members of that ever-shifting crowd, Peter Frampton amongst them, would often be in the village pub. The village had quite a colourful cast of characters in those days, to which they added an amusing layer.

Steve Marriott used to live in our village, and members of that ever-shifting crowd, Peter Frampton amongst them, would often be in the village pub. The village had quite a colourful cast of characters in those days, to which they added an amusing layer.
Arkesden?

Steve Marriott had a cottage in Arkesden, and died in a house fire there. He clearly lived in some beautiful places.

I attended a dinner party a while back at which the charming Loretta Basey and her then future husband were also guests.

I note that advantage has been taken of the right to disappear, as virtually all of the often very alluring photos of Ms Basey's former lives have been replaced by the increasingly ubiquitous message 'Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe'.

Another claim to fame of mine I have just thought of, and this is impressively tenuous - my Dad's (now deceased) mate was the uncle of Joe Pasquale.

Ker-ching. I presume he has a pre-nup.

He blew about £700 million on some failed investment and managed to reduce his personal fortune (or at least, one of them) to a trifling £150 million not all that long before, so we should assume it's true love.

Steve Marriott had a cottage in Arkesden, and died in a house fire there. He clearly lived in some beautiful places.

Wasn't he varying degrees of penniless and desperate for most of the post-Humble Pie years? If he was living in someplace nice, I wonder if it was his own place, or if he was living off the generosity of a benefactor?

How very condescending of you..

OK, it does sound a bit condescending, wasn't meant to. It was a lot of fun, like the script of a slightly eccentric and very English film.

I have read that Marriott was ripped off by management, but the shenanigans at Beehive Cottage apparently didn't betray any lack of cash, there were said to be some fairly wild parties. Marriott got a bit the worse for wear one night and drove an Aston Martin through the parapet of the bridge across the brook that ran past the back of his garden. The road was closed for about a year.

I attended a dinner party a while back at which the charming Loretta Basey and her then future husband were also guests.

I note that advantage has been taken of the right to disappear, as virtually all of the often very alluring photos of Ms Basey's former lives have been replaced by the increasingly ubiquitous message 'Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe'.
Was it a fund raiser ?
(Daily Mail)-
EXCLUSIVE: New Brexit Party treasurer is father of glamorous ex-Page Three model married to controversial financier Nat Rothschild
  • Phillip Basey, an accountant, has been appointed Treasurer for the Brexit Party

Was it a fund raiser ?
(Daily Mail)-
EXCLUSIVE: New Brexit Party treasurer is father of glamorous ex-Page Three model married to controversial financier Nat Rothschild
  • Phillip Basey, an accountant, has been appointed Treasurer for the Brexit Party

Ha, I wondered how quickly you would clamber onto your box and start beating your chest with that little coup. Well googled.

Actually, no. The host was a functionary at the EU Commission for two or three years after university, and voted to remain in the EU. He and I have had many lively debates on the subject, and are firm friends. There would have been the full range of views represented around the table, but if it was discussed I don't recall it.

LB's mother and father split up when she and her sister were little girls. I happened to know her mother a little back then, and it was not a happy situation. Suffice it to say, I don't think he behaved very graciously, but then you tend only to get one side of the story in these matters. I've never met him.

Last edited:
OK, not sure if this will help as it’s so simplified:

48215643136_ef02e84c7d_c.jpg

Wasn’t this from the science film ‘Arrival’ ?

You have to search using her middle name Elle (as in, feckin' 'elle, those are big naturals!)

I met the original lead guitarist for the Yardbirds, Top Topham. It was his first trip to the States, he wasn't feeling well because the night before he had discovered White Castle burgers and had eaten too many sliders.

advertisement

Back