advertisement

How would you vote in a General Election?

How would you vote in a General Election?

• A Brexit Party (Brexit, UKIP)

Votes: 22 11.6%
  • A Remain Party (Liberal Democrat, Green, SNP, Change UK, Plaid, Sinn Fein, SDLP, Alliance)

Votes: 123 65.1%
  • The Labour Party

Votes: 35 18.5%
  • The Conservative Party

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Other (Raving Looney, DUP etc)

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
Well, it looks like a bit of a woodpile to me.

You said: Labour Brexit supporters - which means Labour supporters in general

"Labour supporters in general" suggests a majority of Labour supporters. From what I've read it's more like 30% of Labour supporters in favour of brexit.

If, as you say, "Labour supporters in general" want brexit, given it's estimated as many as 70% of tory supporters also want brexit, when added to the other brexit supporters that would be quite a large majority of the UK electorate now in favour of brexit. Yet you claim the majority are now in favour of remain. This suggests your latest post is just another slur against Labour. Nothing has changed there then.

I hope that's addressed one of your so-called points, Jack.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48039984

It was addressed to deal with Labour supporters who say Labour is not a pro-Brexit Party. Yet if you vote for Labour today, you are voting for Brexit. There is no way round that. It isn't a slur, it is a statement of fact.

The irony is the majority of Labour, from MPs to supporters, want to stay in the EU and a second public vote.

This is what is tearing Labour apart and has been since the Referendum. Ask the Party's deputy leader, Tom Watson.

Jack

It was addressed to deal with Labour supporters who say Labour is not a pro-Brexit Party. Yet if you vote for Labour today, you are voting for Brexit. There is no way round that. It isn't a slur, it is a statement of fact.

The irony is the majority of Labour, from MPs to supporters, want to stay in the EU and a second public vote.

This is what is tearing Labour apart and has been since the Referendum. Ask the Party's deputy leader, Tom Watson.

Jack
You said, " Labour Brexit supporters - which means Labour supporters in general ". It's clear what that means. Your attempt at clarification doesn't change it.

It is wrong to lump Labour in the same group as the Brexit Party and the Conservative Party, which is what you are doing when you wave the "Labour is a Brexit party" brush. There is a huge difference between Labour and those other 2 parties and not only in relation to brexit.

Labour would try to repair the split (almost 50/50, so not easy) in the country caused by self-serving conservatives. Those other two parties would make it considerably worse. Quite staggering how you and others are incapable of seeing that.

Not only will the turn-out in a general election be much greater, people will vote differently in a GE than EU elections.
But it’s not a given that they’ll return to Labour, is it? I mean, they’ve already demonstrated that they are prepared to vote for another party, so it would be foolish to assume they’ll return to the fold, tails between their legs, when the call comes.

But it’s not a given that they’ll return to Labour, is it? I mean, they’ve already demonstrated that they are prepared to vote for another party, so it would be foolish to assume they’ll return to the fold, tails between their legs, when the call comes.
Labour heartlands haemmorhaging votes? It can happen, as in Scotland. Complacency on this will cost them dear.

You said, " Labour Brexit supporters - which means Labour supporters in general ". It's clear what that means. Your attempt at clarification doesn't change it.

It is wrong to lump Labour in the same group as the Brexit Party and the Conservative Party, which is what you are doing when you wave the "Labour is a Brexit party" brush. There is a huge difference between Labour and those other 2 parties and not only in relation to brexit.

Labour would try to repair the split (almost 50/50, so not easy) in the country caused by self-serving conservatives. Those other two parties would make it considerably worse. Quite staggering how you and others are incapable of seeing that.

You have missed the point as usual. Anybody who votes for Labour now is in favour of Brexit. There is no fence sitting about it.

You say "It is wrong to lump Labour in the same group as the Brexit Party and the Conservative Party, which is what you are doing when you wave the "Labour is a Brexit party" brush."

It is not wrong at all. They are all officially pro-Brexit Parties. This is the direct fault of Corbyn and the clique around him, who decided on the results an advisory Referendum to take the Leave side.

Jack

Last edited:
If Labour can’t even scrape 20% on a fairly left wing forum poll how does that fair for their prospects in the rest of the country?

Labour heartlands haemmorhaging votes? It can happen, as in Scotland. Complacency on this will cost them dear.

A lesson for Labour is that in Scotland people initially voted SNP heavily in the Scottish parliament elections but returned to voting Labour in the UK parliament elections. After continued issues with Labour in Scotland that switch back stopped, leading to the current situation where they're not even an also-ran. Their message to the electorate was just one thing "vote for Labour to keep the Tories out" but that only went so far as an alternative to actually offering something else.

It'll be interesting to see what happens now that Scottish Labour have come out strongly in support of a 2nd referendum with Remain on the option list - and have said they'd be backing Remain in that situation. That does give them more credibility in Scotland, but there will be concerns about what'll happen if people actually vote for Scottish Labour on that basis, when it's very much not an option Westminster Labour supports.

Pervert? Antisemite?
He's sent suggestive texts to a party worker (many years his junior) insisted he have her address etc. The antisemite bit is also well documented. Many in the left appear to think this is OK. John Prescott's son is also under investigation for some pretty bad behavior so you can also add nepotism as a lesser charge. The ideologically pure are very selective in their behaviours.

He's sent suggestive texts to a party worker (many years his junior) insisted he have her address etc. The antisemite bit is also well documented. Many in the left appear to think this is OK. John Prescott's son is also under investigation for some pretty bad behavior so you can also add nepotism as a lesser charge. The ideologically pure are very selective in their behaviours.
I suggest these allegations should be discussed or reported as such.
It's not like you're talking about Tories who actually are c***s. :)

If Labour can’t even scrape 20% on a fairly left wing forum poll how does that fair for their prospects in the rest of the country?
This is a "fairly left wing forum"? I don't think so.

Whatever, this is a hi-fi and music forum so is not representative of the real world....

17.7% is nearly twice the 9% Labour polled recently so a move in the right direction to a less distant second place.

You have missed the point as usual. Anybody who votes for Labour now is in favour of Brexit. There is no fence sitting about it.

You say "It is wrong to lump Labour in the same group as the Brexit Party and the Conservative Party, which is what you are doing when you wave the "Labour is a Brexit party" brush."

It is not wrong at all. They are all officially pro-Brexit Parties. This is the direct fault of Corbyn and the clique around him, who decided on the results an advisory Referendum to take the Leave side.

Jack
It would help if you actually had a point. As usual, you don't.

I suggest these allegations should be discussed or reported as such.
It's not like you're talking about Tories who actually are c***s. :)
I don't care about the tories, never voted for them or share their views. The LP should get it's own house in order & be an effective opposition.

I don't care about the tories, never voted for them or share their views. The LP should get it's own house in order & be an effective opposition.
Absolutely, Woodface. I do feel there's a complacent sit back and let the Tories take the flak tactic being employed by them, verging on complicity at times, eg trigger Article 50 asap.

A lesson for Labour is that in Scotland people initially voted SNP heavily in the Scottish parliament elections but returned to voting Labour in the UK parliament elections. After continued issues with Labour in Scotland that switch back stopped, leading to the current situation where they're not even an also-ran. Their message to the electorate was just one thing "vote for Labour to keep the Tories out" but that only went so far as an alternative to actually offering something else.

It'll be interesting to see what happens now that Scottish Labour have come out strongly in support of a 2nd referendum with Remain on the option list - and have said they'd be backing Remain in that situation. That does give them more credibility in Scotland, but there will be concerns about what'll happen if people actually vote for Scottish Labour on that basis, when it's very much not an option Westminster Labour supports.
Getting behind Remain and a second referendum might revive Labour’s prospects in Scotland but I’m doubtful- particularly when it comes to the crunch and Leonard comes back saying ‘well I tried my best but Len, Jeremy and Suemas said no, it’s a GE or nothing’. Voters here also remember Dave telling us the only way to stay in the EU was to reject the SNP and Independence. It earned the Tories 13 Westminster seats but you can only pull that deception once. On Brexit I trust neither Westminster dinosaur nor do more and more in my country. Both of them are playing it purely for party political gain.

advertisement

Back