advertisement

Current worth of your hifi?

My HiFi system is valued very highly because from it I enjoy all genres of music, I can switch music from a remote and the component also has info as to my music library. Its all in money wise worth well under £1000 and I do not pay any direct debit. I own my entire music collection, all listening is done in the kitchen. I was lucky as I had no serious 'room' issues and I do use bungs in my speakers, otherwise they would sound slightly too much bass. Lastly I buy my music in Cds which is burned onto the hard disk and new music is all set to go, there is no need to stream music, but I do listen to internet radio.

Flatpopely,

You're safe. He'll never remember all the letters and numbers.

Joe

You total barstuard - consider yourselves disavowed (if those aren’t actual words flack yow I’m dswexlic£

This is an interesting question as it brings out something I didn’t expect to see on a hi fi forum; people humble bragging about cheap their system is.

My system is an oddity.

I built it because I couldn't afford what it would cost me to buy the equivalent commercially built items.

My arm is a clone of the Schroeder Reference which I think costs around £6,000
My turntable I would imagine would cost around £6-7,000
My Paradise Phono stage I am reliably informed would cost over £5,000 to equal commercially
My amps are £1,200
My speakers are ATC SCM 50 diy's using all ATC drivers and crossovers.. so from ATC £10,000

Rough total £29,000

What they cost me to build...

Arm.... £150
Turntable less than £1,000
Paradise £400m - £500 ( can't remember exactly )
Amps... £400 ... Avondale mono's
Speakers... My SCM35's donated the mids and the crossovers and to do everything else ( bigger cabinets, upgraded tweeters and bass units ) £1,300

Rough total £3,350

Last edited:
More than everyone else's that I know, and less than the majority of people on here. It does the job for me though. I keep the same stuff for years, so factored over the length of ownership, cost is pretty low (example, only had 3 amps since 1984!).

Interesting how things change, 20 years ago my vinyl was worth nothing now it is actually worth a fair bit. CDs are pretty much worthless apart from the fantastic music they contain. I used to be terrified of being burgled back in the day but now people are more likely to take phones/tablets & leave everything else.

Moving house ?

I keep all electronics boxes for same reason. I have plenty space in cellar for boxes, stuff is then easy to stack, move and store dry and dust free. Also easier to sell should need arise.

As for any inferred 'journey' into audiop[hilia, well nothing lasts forever and time change, things break, wear out and get superseded. So maybe that's valid.

One of the weird things about any hobby like this is that the money involved can look large, especially when compared to what the average household spends on the equivalent gear.

I like to think of it in terms of car prices. If I look down my street, most people have a car which is under 5 years old, and come in around £30k each. They appear to spend this sort of money every 5 years without anyone batting an eyelid, or getting much joy from the experience.
Most people don't seem to purchase their cars these days , just lease them.

In regard to cars there seems to be various opinions how to buy them. Some people like to buy their cars new and most probably have the car serviced at the dealers where they bought the car so as not to lose out on the various benefits a particular brand would offer and others say to buy knew is total waste of money because the car will quickly lose its premium value, best to buy second hand with good record. At least with some HiFi brands their components keep their value and most probably last longer than a new car eg Naim Audio.

Mine is mostly ancient and worth more to me than to anyone else.

Have had other things to spend money on, plus it is still very good!

Tim

My perspective on this is possibly slightly different.

I got on the Naim upgrade ladder 12-15 yrs ago. The taking up of an new distraction/passion (Piano) stalled any future changes to what was a fairly high-end Naim rig. Post retirement I started listening to music again, but found my listening taste had slowly changed again. I therefore took the (well documented on pfm) decision to look elsewhere.

I set a price of what I hoped to achieve for the sale of the Naim rig, and came in around 10-15% under this, which isn't too bad. What did surprise me is that such gear, although still retaining a reasonable resale value, wasn't retaining the heady values of 3-4 years ago.

I think its not a straightforward thing to predict system worth, unless you are saying its replacement for insurance purposes. The 2nd hand market, being as fickle as it can be, makes this difficult to predict.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back