advertisement

Do you have your music arranged in aphabetical order?

I have recently gone from alphabetical order to grouping by genre . It's almost like an upgrade , I'm finding and playing stuff I forgot I had .
Having everything on a database, indexed on different fields highlights things in different ways.
Currently on a voyage of discovery around my top rated CDs and top rated artists.
Surprises, good and bad on the wunnerful sounding new to me system

Think my biggest struggle came with
Lifetime
Tony Williams Lifetime
Tony Williams

If the band is ‘Tony Williams’ Lifetime’ then ‘W’. If ‘Lifetime featuring Tony Williams’ then ‘L’. If the band varied the way it was worded I’d just choose one and keep them all together!

If the band is ‘Tony Williams’ Lifetime’ then ‘W’. If ‘Lifetime featuring Tony Williams’ then ‘L’. If the band varied the way it was worded I’d just choose one and keep them all together!
All together so I can have a Tony Williams fest when in need !

Having a database or spreadsheet you can add in other fields
EG.
Artist: Cooder Ry
Artist1 : Ry Cooder
Title
(My) Rating
Recording quality
Extras, EG 4 bonus tracks, 7" single
Type : CD, LP etc
Date released
many others if you want
Oddly enough I don't have genre

Too much time on my hands ?
Absolutely not. This is important !

Stops my buying dupes, reminds me how I rate certain artists and albums

Mine are ordered by year of release (or recording in the case of live albums), then alphabetical artist within year. Classical gets its own subsection.

It sounds a bit weird, but I've been doing this for a long time now on all formats and really like it. Needless to say, anyone visiting has no hope of finding anything.

Alphabetically by band/artist surname here. I do try and keep them together but not in chronological order.

One section kept for new purchases waiting to be cleaned and played before putting in the main collection.

The only inconsistency I can think of in my collection is bands with '...and the...' in the name.

Elvis Costello and the Attractions are filled under C.
Echo and the Bunnymen are filed under B.

I catalogued mine in a spreadsheet, using a sort order column to sort them by. If nothing else it stops me buying duplicates.

Columns
Sort order
Artist
Album name
Format LP/CD
Year
Notes

When I started out as an archivist almost twenty five years ago, the worst part of the job was going to meetings where people would argue for hours over indexing. This thread has brought it all back. Thanks, guys.

Some of my music is arranged alphabetically; such as classical music (by composer only, I can't be arsed with anything more complex). Non-classical stuff is all over the shop, but I mostly know where it is (eg all the HMHB albums bar two are upstairs). That's just the CDs though. Vinyl is even less organised.

Thanks to this thread I've just organised my vinyl. All 1200 pieces.

Some f**ker owes me a physio session. However, I did find 2 albums that I've never opened, shame on me.

Alphabetical?

Never.

My collection is vaguely organised in my own idea of what a genre is.

'Roots' = my roots, early stuff that I was into and still play. Contains no actual Roots music. (that is in a different bit)

'The Sixties' = bizarrely 1950's, through the 60's maybe licking the early 70's.

Then there are lumps of my collection in 200 album rows were I can usually find stuff. I like finding records I forget about as well.

Think my biggest struggle came with
Lifetime
Tony Williams Lifetime
Tony Williams
This is what I call ‘the Zappa problem’ which I solved by filing anything by the Mothers of Invention, Frank Zappa and the Mothers, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention or Frank Zappa under ‘Z’.

What about Alice Cooper? There’s Alice Cooper (band) then there’s Alice Cooper (solo artist). Wikipedia states ‘“Alice Cooper” was originally a band’ differentiating between the two. So does Alice Cooper (band) go under ‘A’ and Alice Cooper (solo artist) go under ‘C’ or does the latter also go under ‘A’ as it is an assumed name? If the answer is ‘A’, then presumably Elvis Costello goes under ‘E’.

Fortunately the problem doesn’t give me too many sleepless nights as I don’t have any records by any form of Alice Cooper. And I file Elvis Costello under ‘C’.

Used to be by genre. Then that got all screwed up and I stopped filing at all.

Now it’s all on an Aurender. The vinyl is so old my tastes have changed so from about 600 albums I have only about 50 “old non-digital friends” that I play occasionally.

Mine is in sort of in villages or likely friendship groups. Baffling as people move about/ fall out etc. Generally it works fine but sometimes someone is reported missing which can be time consuming.

This is what I call ‘the Zappa problem’ which I solved by filing anything by the Mothers of Invention, Frank Zappa and the Mothers, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention or Frank Zappa under ‘Z’.

What about Alice Cooper? There’s Alice Cooper (band) then there’s Alice Cooper (solo artist). Wikipedia states ‘“Alice Cooper” was originally a band’ differentiating between the two. So does Alice Cooper (band) go under ‘A’ and Alice Cooper (solo artist) go under ‘C’ or does the latter also go under ‘A’ as it is an assumed name? If the answer is ‘A’, then presumably Elvis Costello goes under ‘E’.

Fortunately the problem doesn’t give me too many sleepless nights as I don’t have any records by any form of Alice Cooper. And I file Elvis Costello under ‘C’.
Don't have any Zappa. Have tried and tried, still can't like it enough even though I love Steve Vai and Zappa's mate Mr.Beefheart
Don't have any Alice Cooper. S'ok
Do have some Elvis Costello LPs, bought in a big batch at an auction. Awful. How does he make money ?
I filed Costello under "Sell"
:)

advertisement

Back