advertisement

Do you have your music arranged in aphabetical order?

Peter McDermott

pfm Member
I've finally decided to put my CDs into alphabetical order.

Put them into piles by letter and now will return them to their shelves

IMG-20190410-194836.jpg

These are my popular music CDs.

You had to write the letter on a piece of paper? Don't you know the artist from the cd cover?
Is Led Zeppelin L or Z ? David Bowie D or B ? I get hung up on such questions.

Alphabetical by artists surname for me.
Classical music is harder to organise, as I think it depends on whether you naturally prefer to search by composer, or musical piece, or even the conductor.

I go with the order the discogs app catalogs in. Fun fact ... shake your phone for the apps random selection mode.

Vinyl sorted by genre (rock/pop/electronica, jazz, classical) and then in strict alphabetical order: band, artist surname, classical by composer then conductor if multiple versions. CDs kind if similar, but I’m so hopelessly out of shelf space loads are just floating around on the floor/box-sets randomly shelved. I really have run out of space what with the pfm record shop occupying more than its own room too!

Led Zeppelin = L.
David Bowie = B.
Bands named after a character, e.g. Jethro Tull go under first name (J in this case).

Albums within artist sorted in date order e.g. Led Zep I, II, III, IV etc.

I can understand sorting solo albums alphabetically by artist then date after the main band, e.g. Edgar Froese with Tangerine Dream.

Bad sorting really irritates the hell out of me. There is a record shop near here that sorts on artist first name, e.g. you’ll find Joni Mitchell under J! His excuse is he doesn’t understand how to sort his computerised stock list, which is obviously entirely unacceptable. There should be a special police crime hotline for this sort of thing, it is just disgusting.

There is a record shop near here that sorts on artist first name, e.g. you’ll find Joni Mitchell under J!

The Disk Union jazz departments in Tokyo seem to list by instrument then first name so Thelonious Monk will be under Piano -> T

Despite this they remain in my top five list of favourite places on the planet!

I group them by letter, there may be the odd glitch but generally know where things are. I do have a separate indexed book for vinyl & cd with a running total added up on the inside back cover. I assume everyone does this?

You had to write the letter on a piece of paper? Don't you know the artist from the cd cover?

Yes but when you have piles of CDs it's easier to slap them down quickly on the letters, certainly when you first start and you have a handful of albums in random order. I did not do this when I sorted out my classical CDs and it took a lot more time. Plus, I'm a bit thick.

Yes but would you put Jay Z under J or Z ? Sometimes the forename is the main title.

I have my LPs and CDs just sorted by musical genres: classical, pop, film soundtracks, jazz...

I used to have it in the order it was purchased, but that got way confusing with reissues, now it alpha for bands and artist first name for solo artists. And within an artist its chrono.

Artists by surname
Bands by name omitting “The”
I don’t own any single letter name crap.

Alphabetical by genre. A few artists get special treatment and are in chronological order too. Although come to come to think of it, only The Fall are chronological.

Edit: and Iron Maiden, Slayer and Black Sabbath

Another edit: Sonic Youth are not in chronological order. I think they should be.

Goodness!

First World problems ...

No wonder we cannot elect MPs to make a sensible policy on ANYTHING ...

advertisement

Back