advertisement

Do you have your music arranged in aphabetical order?

The secret to stocking index shelves is to put j or k in the middle. Then anything you pick up is either before after or in that section. The pile grows out from the middle. Obviously m is the middle letter but names are weighted to the early letters rather than u x z etc

It’s not so simple. We ABBA and ZZ Top completists find ourselves constantly rearranging!

I used to look after a law library when I worked at Bexley London Borough and there was a book all about indexing.
There is a science to it. The ideal way is to number each cd and then have a card index so you can have cross reference everything. Then you can have multiple entries for the same item.
There was an anecdote in the book which I always remember. In a hymn book the entry for the hymn "Oh Lord there is a land mine eyes have seen..." it reads, "Oh Lord there is a land mine"

I've finally decided to put my CDs into alphabetical order.

Put them into piles by letter and now will return them to their shelves

IMG-20190410-194836.jpg

These are my popular music CDs.
Nah , lucky dip for me.

John Peel said something like never trust anyone who files Howlin’ Wolf under W.

Sun Ra maintained random order, his logic being it is more enlightening to find something interesting that you weren’t expecting to find than locating something you already know.

John Peel said something like never trust anyone who files Howlin’ Wolf under W.

Sun Ra maintained random order, his logic being it is more enlightening to find something interesting that you weren’t expecting to find than locating something you already know.

Agree in so many ways but...…. when your eyesight is not what it once was finding stuff gets too hard.

Horror of horrors.
Gradually filing my CDs in order as I play the ones never heard on the big system I am running out of space.
Still puzzled as the database tells me all I have and which letter.
My own fault giving G and T two shelves less than they need though
G and T - could be a joke in there
:)

advertisement

Back