advertisement

Do you have your music arranged in aphabetical order?

How else do you find anything???

I don't need to find anything because when I listen I don't know what I want to listen to in advance, I just browse the racks until I find something I feel like listening to at that moment.

I may be weird in how I listen to music, but that's just how I've always done it. Same with Qobuz, I just scroll through everything until I land on something I fancy.

With you until the last bit, which needs reporting on Tony’s police hotline.

Mine are in no particular order, but are shoved back exactly where they were taken from. How else do you find anything???
That's how mine are today, but with a bit of non-original use of 'past their best' LPs I will soon have a method of alphabetising (?) my records. It'll just involve hard work of which I'm unaccustomed.

I also have a special Sonic Youth section which is somewhat distinct from the main collection. Sonic Youth releases organised chronologically followed by Sonic Youth related releases organised by band member then chronologically. Bootlegs have a separate subsection at the end of the main Sonic Youth section.
and where does Ciccone Youth go ?

By genre, then by historical order within genre. But not rigourously.

So Jazz starts with Kid Ory and confusingly meanders through Ellington, the great singers etc, until it ends up in the safety of Miles, then 60s Blue Note, then Coltrane. Then I have all the Coltrane associates. This makes it complicated because I have to go back in time a bit, because where is the place for Mingus and Lee Konitz and Art Pepper? There is no place! So it all gets confusing until I get to Cecil Taylor, which should be way back historically, but serves as a good prelude to lots of avant garde stuff.

Only I can understand any of this.
Oh, this will not do at all;) where would you file Jelly Roll Morton?

My records are alphabetically by artist forename, ignoring “the”. Bowie under D. The Beatles under B. Mixed artist compilations under V(arious).

My CDs are in boxes, and not sorted at all.

Is there anything that can get alphabetically in front of
…And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

great band BTW

Mine is in rough genre sorting, both CDs and LPs.

I prefer it as it means I come across stuff I have not listened to in a while while finding a specific album. Mind, I don't have a whole wall of music so that makes it a little easier I guess.....
My wife hates it, she thinks it should be in strict alphabetical order, I've told her if she wants to re-order it all, then crack on.... 5-6 years forward and its stayed with my sorting :p

Just to update, I'm enjoying being able to find my CDs more easily. And, my 16 year old son played a CD possibly the first time ever because it was easy to find.

When I started out as an archivist almost twenty five years ago, the worst part of the job was going to meetings where people would argue for hours over indexing. This thread has brought it all back. Thanks, guys.

If it's not too painful, I would welcome an archivist's Insight into organising a music collection. With exception of our esteemed host, everyone else seems to have opinions rather than qualifications.:)

You had to write the letter on a piece of paper? Don't you know the artist from the cd cover?
Is Led Zeppelin L or Z ? David Bowie D or B ? I get hung up on such questions.
Groups, alpha by first word, Led Zepp under L. Single named artists, alpha by last name, Bowie under B. Multiple groups or artists? Alpha by first named. Prefer other rules? Suit yourself, there are no wrong answers.... :)

When I started out as an archivist almost twenty five years ago, the worst part of the job was going to meetings where people would argue for hours over indexing. This thread has brought it all back. Thanks, guys.
Oooooo, poor leadership. Someone should have been Czar of Indexing, and decided all such questions at their own desk. Allowing meetings like that to happen is inexcusable.

If it's not too painful, I would welcome an archivist's Insight into organising a music collection. With exception of our esteemed host, everyone else seems to have opinions rather than qualifications.:)
My qualifications are as a lay person only, but there seem to be two basic strategies: 'shelved by some scheme or no scheme,' and 'shelved by a carefully thought-out scheme and indexed by just about everything in a searchable data system.' If the last suits you due to professional needs or just personal preference, then use another data system to research the literature on the topic, what you want is beyond what's feasible to get on a discussion board.

Oooooo, poor leadership. Someone should have been Czar of Indexing, and decided all such questions at their own desk. Allowing meetings like that to happen is inexcusable.

I was a minion, had no choice. Ten local authority archive services, attempting to co-ordinate their indexing. *Sideshow Bob shudder*.

Many years ago, as a holiday job (!) I was given the task of merging together the filing systems of three different fire brigades. The files, dating back to the late 19th century, were housed in a dusty, windowless, airless room, and had obviously not been looked at for many years. Realising that the job greatly exceeded both my indexing abilities and the time available, I invented a crisis at university (a couple of hundred miles away) that required my immediate attendance. I don't know whether the filing systems were merged. Probably someone just locked the door on the whole sorry mess and threw away the key.

I was a minion, had no choice. Ten local authority archive services, attempting to co-ordinate their indexing. *Sideshow Bob shudder*.
Oh I didn't figure the whole thing was under your or anyone's control. Absent some higher authority to impose order, the only hope would be for everyone to be committed to the wonderful mission of coordinating your systems. Not likely of course.

33750211858_3395d39c2f_c.jpg

Dunno what the fuss is about. Alt J somewhere near top left, Tom Waits bottom right. Brian Eno/David Byrne collaborations, er, somewhere around the left middle. I think.

Recently played on the floor.

(Cd’s on Squeezepad)

The secret to stocking index shelves is to put j or k in the middle. Then anything you pick up is either before after or in that section. The pile grows out from the middle. Obviously m is the middle letter but names are weighted to the early letters rather than u x z etc

advertisement

Back