advertisement

Best debut album ever?

Not yet mentioned...

The Chameleons- Script of the Bridge
Young Marble Giants- Colossal Youth
The Beat- I Just can't stop it

Surely Zappa and Cobain couldn’t both be wrong, so it must be ‘Philosophy of the World’.

And just to rub Young People up the wrong way I’ll mention ‘Elvis Presley’ and ‘Please Please Me.’

Last edited:
Stuff that arrived perfectly formed, was original, new and groundbreaking, and to some extent has not been subsequently bettered.

In the Court of the Crimson King
Tubular Bells
Planxty
Mouth Music

Honourable mentions...
Tracy Chapman
They might be Giants
Bellowhead - Burlesque
Ry Cooder
Rickie Lee Jones
Led Zeppelin
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Old and in the Way

A lot above I really like, not mentioned but the first that came to my mind was 'The Only Ones'.

Nirvana's Bleach is one of the worst albums I've ever heard..... a copy went round about 5 people in my circle many years ago when each person listened to it, decided it was crap and gave it away to someone else! What a transformation with their next album!

The Stone Roses = Herman's Hermits + really good rhythm section + great production.
Possibly a little harsh (I don’t recall the Hermits’ guitarist doubling the length of songs that had really finished with solos) but yes, I see what you are driving at.

In fact I can almost hear Herman singing 'She's a waterfall, la, la, la...' - even the accent is right!

Nirvana's Bleach is one of the worst albums I've ever heard..... a copy went round about 5 people in my circle many years ago when each person listened to it, decided it was crap and gave it away to someone else! What a transformation with their next album!

Disagree entirely! Though I liked a lot of stuff of that ilk long before Nevermind turned up (Minutemen, Husker Dü, Sonic Youth etc etc). I always viewed it as a chart-pop sell-out - the death-throws of a scene!

Disagree entirely! Though I liked a lot of stuff of that ilk long before Nevermind turned up (Minutemen, Husker Dü, Sonic Youth etc etc). I always viewed it as a chart-pop sell-out - the death-throws of a scene!
Nirvana are one of those bands that IMHO have aged quite badly. I was a big Pixies fan & always felt Nirvana borrowed a bit from them; I was young at the time & tended to pick sides. I do have a few Nirvana albums (really like the MTV unplugged). As an aside I have 'Rock Swings' by Andy Williams, a very amusing curio where he covers contempory songs in a big band setting. It is very well done but it does show how poor some of their lyrics were.

Nirvana are one of those bands that IMHO have aged quite badly. I was a big Pixies fan & always felt Nirvana borrowed a bit from them; I was young at the time & tended to pick sides. I do have a few Nirvana albums (really like the MTV unplugged). As an aside I have 'Rock Swings' by Andy Williams, a very amusing curio where he covers contempory songs in a big band setting. It is very well done but it does show how poor some of their lyrics were.
Nirvana stated they were trying to emulate the pixies on nevermind ... they were a clear influence, bleach is raw, and not easy, but it is a good album. The first track from unplugged MTV is from bleach ...

B-52's haven't been mentioned yet - debut album is a classic (esp. like 'planet claire') and the audio is PRIMO too. Incidentally John Lennon's favourite group just before his death ... which I could NEVER have predicted.

Sinead O'Connor's debut was strong too IIRC - she's not been mentioned yet

These lists always end up as "good albums by people I like"

I cannot believe that even the posters of these suggestions really believe that they are offering up to us " The best debut album EVER '

advertisement

Back