advertisement

Best debut album ever?

Laura marling, Anthony and the johnsons, the la's, king crimson, penguin cafe orchestra, civil wars, mos def and Tom waits. All on heavy rotation.

Amazed how far this thread went before anyone mentioned Horses which is the correct answer- A mention on page 3 from Tony and following lists of some rather average record IMHO of course

The other contenders for me are Music from The Big Pink , Marquee Moon, Unknown Pleasures - so the most recent in my list is over 30 years old !

Stones Roses as already mentioned, but surpassed by Kate Bush - The Kick Inside and the best of the them all Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Off the top of my head I would say Astral Weeks, Lewis Taylor (Lewis Taylor), Grace (Jeff Buckley) and For Emma, Forever Ago (Bon Iver)

Crikey, got to the 4th page without Ten, Pearl Jam.

A bit of a cheat but how about, new line up (reinvented) Deep Purple, In Rock.

Apart from anything else Jim is one of the great rock vocalists...and rocks leather troose like no one but Elvis.
He's a proper front man, they wouldn't have made it without him as a focus. I just think their music is pretty terrible though

Amazed how far this thread went before anyone mentioned Horses which is the correct answer- A mention on page 3 from Tony and following lists of some rather average record IMHO of course

The other contenders for me are Music from The Big Pink , Marquee Moon, Unknown Pleasures - so the most recent in my list is over 30 years old !
Horses isn't as good as the others you list.

That’s not a debut!
while we're being pernickety ... Nor was Astral Weeks, mentioned a few times here - that would be Blowing Your Mind - which I don't think I've ever seen in stores.

Horses isn't as good as the others you list.
I may need to agree to differ here - "Horses" is always my starting point for any "best rock record ever" discussion, when I get drawn into them after a couple of glasses of red. Best cover, best opening line, best sequencing, best mix of great rock'n'roll and arty pretentiousness - I've never been convinced anything beats it.

Played that Dan album the other day. I love the “pop” elements to it, David Palmer’s voice lending itself to that sound. Always think it’s v different to their other stuff but in a good way.

Off thread slightly , but there's a lovely clip on Youtube where Palmer looks uncannily like Bruce Forsyth

It also features two of the best examples of "camera man picking out the wrong guitarist" for connoisseurs of that particular phenomenon

Kevin

advertisement

Back