advertisement

Best debut album ever?

while we're being pernickety ... Nor was Astral Weeks, mentioned a few times here - that would be Blowing Your Mind - which I don't think I've ever seen in stores.
I have it. It's called "Blowin' Your Mind!"
It was put together by Bert Berns from sessions Van did for his Bang label.
""I got a call saying it was an album coming out and this is the cover. And I saw the cover and I almost threw up, you know."
Van didn't authorize its release so I'm sticking with AW as his debut.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowin'_Your_Mind!?wprov=sfla1

Ok, ok, clearly not a thread for a joke, I'll have a proper go:

Suede, Suede
PJ Harvey, Dry
Elastica, Elastica
Oasis, Definitely Maybe

None of the would I consider the best debut album ever, all of them I consider their best output, hardly surprising in the case of Elastica since they imploded after this and The Menace was poop.

The Smiths, The Smiths
Arctic Monkeys, Whatever etc
Franz Ferdinand, Franz Ferdinand
The Libertines, Up The Bracket

For these, for me, better was to come, but great debut albums.

Portishead - Dummy

I thought aboot putting this album in my list, but I rarely play it nowadays, it got a bit 'samey' after the initial couple of years being wowed by its original sound. Must play it again, it has some pleasant deep thuds.

I may need to agree to differ here - "Horses" is always my starting point for any "best rock record ever" discussion, when I get drawn into them after a couple of glasses of red. Best cover, best opening line, best sequencing, best mix of great rock'n'roll and arty pretentiousness - I've never been convinced anything beats it.
Interesting viewpoint, we all have artists that we feel strongly about so you are perfectly qualified to hold it

I thought aboot putting this album in my list, but I rarely play it nowadays, it got a bit 'samey' after the initial couple of years being wowed by its original sound. Must play it again, it has some pleasant deep thuds.

Agreed - I just think that when it came out it was something special and original and that's what I'm judging it on.

It's a strong shout, sounded like nothing else at the time

Actually it's this of course:

An album that should have changed everything that came after it but for some reason didn't.

Spoil sport.
I would refer the Hon. Gent to my reply above.
"Morrison does not regard this record as a true album, as Bert Berns compiled and released it without his consent. A few months previously, Morrison had carelessly signed a contract that he had not fully studied and it stipulated that he would surrender virtually all control of the material he would record with Bang Records. The songs were recorded in March 1967 and had been intended to be released on four separate singles."

I would refer the Hon. Gent to my reply above.
"Morrison does not regard this record as a true album, as Bert Berns compiled and released it without his consent. A few months previously, Morrison had carelessly signed a contract that he had not fully studied and it stipulated that he would surrender virtually all control of the material he would record with Bang Records. The songs were recorded in March 1967 and had been intended to be released on four separate singles."
It is open to interpretation. Artists often release material which they don't have full control over. VM distanced himself from the release as it wasn't very good. Also, I am not sure about 'debut' albums from those formerly of bands, should this count?

It is open to interpretation. Artists often release material which they don't have full control over. VM distanced himself from the release as it wasn't very good.
No. He distanced himself from it because he had no intention of the material being made into an album and no idea it was being released until it was pointed out to him.

No. He distanced himself from it because he had no intention of the material being made into an album and no idea it was being released until it was pointed out to him.
I seem to recall that he crapped out a few numbers to fulfil a contract, however, why record if you don't think it will be released? I live Astral Weeks BTW so not in disagreement with its merit just whether it could be classed as a debut?

I seem to recall that he crapped out a few numbers to fulfil a contract, however, why record if you don't think it will be released? I live Astral Weeks BTW so not in disagreement with its merit just whether it could be classed as a debut?
Like it says he thought he was signing up to release four singles.
From Steve Turner's book which I have to hand: "Bern's plan was to record four singles, including both A and B sides, over a two-day period with a group of session musicians."
Berns released the album as a cash in on the success of Brown Eyed Girl in the US charts where it peaked at 8.

advertisement

Back