advertisement

Worst musical genres ever.

Coldplay were created in a laboratory by a middle class scientist using a Petri dish and cloned eggs an stuff from Sonia, Bananarama, Hugh fearnley whittingstall, and Midge urge.

For me hip hop or rap or whatever it is called is aural Hell.

I don't get Jazz either.

I suppose I like music that is crafted to the highest degree, such as that of Bach and Haydn. Not improvisatory, but music that frequently touches on then level of genius. Even when Beethoven improvised the results are less compelling than his through composed music. Some of Beethoven's improvisations were written out afterwards ...

It was Carl Boehm who called improvisation in music the enemy of the great. I think he had a point.

ATB from George

PS: I don't say that the music I am less than attracted is actually bad music, but rather that there are styles of music I do not personally like. There is a good deal of classical music that I dislike just as much. Simply, I avoid music I don't like, and this is only problematic when having to endure radio at work or waiting when a phone call is put onto hold with music!!! I prefer silence!

For me hip hop or rap or whatever it is called is aural Hell.

I don't get Jazz either.

I suppose I like music that is crafted to the highest degree, such as that of Bach and Haydn. Not improvisatory, but music that frequently touches on then level of genius. Even when Beethoven improvised the results are less compelling than his through composed music. Some of Beethoven's improvisations were written out afterwards ...

It was Carl Boehm who called improvisation in music the enemy of the great. I think he had a point.

ATB from George

PS: I don't say that the music I am less than attracted is actually bad music, but rather that there are styles of music I do not personally like. There is a good deal of classical music that I dislike just as much. Simply, I avoid music I don't like, and this is only problematic when having to endure radio at work or waiting when a phone call is put onto hold with music!!! I prefer silence!

Not all Jazz is improvised though there is often a degree of extemporisation - as indeed there was in a number of baroque composer such as JS Bach. For example it was quite common for only the most simple bass line to be written down with the performer expected to extemporise on it.

I was going to agree with this completely, then I remembered bagpipe music...

Sweeping. Just the Scottish ones, or all bagpipes..? I find some of the Uillean pipe music very listenable, as well as some of the stuff from Galician musicians. There are more:

• Musette de cour: A French open ended smallpipe, believed by some to be an ancestor of the Northumbrian smallpipes, used for classical compositions in 'folk' style in the 18th Century French court. The shuttle design for the drones was recently revived and added to a mouth blown Scottish smallpipe.
  • Biniou (or biniou kozh "old style bagpipe"): a mouth blown bagpipe from Brittany, a Celtic region of northwestern France. It is the most famous bagpipe of France. The great Highland bagpipe is also used in marching bands called bagadoù and known as biniou braz ("great bagpipe").
  • Veuze, found in Western France around Nantes and into the Breton marshes.
  • Cabrette: bellows-blown, played in the Auvergne region of central France.
  • Chabrette (or chabretta): found in the Limousin region of central France.
  • Bodega (or craba): found in Languedoc region of southern France, made of an entire goat skin.
  • Boha: found in the regions of Gascony and Landes in southwestern France, notable for having no separate drone, but a drone and chanter bored into a single piece of wood.
  • Musette bressane: found in the Bresse region of eastern France
  • Cornemuse du Centre (or musette du Centre) (bagpipes of Central France) are of many different types, some mouth blown. They can be found in the Bourbonnais, Berry, Nivernais, and Morvan regions of France and in different tonalities.
  • Chabrette poitevine: found in the Poitou region of west-central France, but now extremely rare.
  • Caramusa: a small bagpipe with a single parallel drone, native to Corsica
  • Musette bechonnet, named from its creator, Joseph Bechonnet (1820-1900 AD) of Effiat.
  • Bousine, a small droneless bagpipe played in Normandy. (fr:Bousine)
  • Loure, a Norman bagpipe which gives its name to the French Baroque dance loure.
  • Pipasso, a bagpipe native to Picardy in northern France
  • Sourdeline, an extinct bellows-blown pipe, likely of Italian origin
  • Samponha, a double-chantered pipe played in the Pyrenees
  • Vèze (or vessie, veuze à Poitiers), played in Poitou
Can't all be bad Vinnie surely..

Sweeping. Just the Scottish ones, or all bagpipes..? I find some of the Uillean pipe music very listenable, as well as some of the stuff from Galician musicians. There are more:

• Musette de cour: A French open ended smallpipe, believed by some to be an ancestor of the Northumbrian smallpipes, used for classical compositions in 'folk' style in the 18th Century French court. The shuttle design for the drones was recently revived and added to a mouth blown Scottish smallpipe.
  • Biniou (or biniou kozh "old style bagpipe"): a mouth blown bagpipe from Brittany, a Celtic region of northwestern France. It is the most famous bagpipe of France. The great Highland bagpipe is also used in marching bands called bagadoù and known as biniou braz ("great bagpipe").
  • Veuze, found in Western France around Nantes and into the Breton marshes.
  • Cabrette: bellows-blown, played in the Auvergne region of central France.
  • Chabrette (or chabretta): found in the Limousin region of central France.
  • Bodega (or craba): found in Languedoc region of southern France, made of an entire goat skin.
  • Boha: found in the regions of Gascony and Landes in southwestern France, notable for having no separate drone, but a drone and chanter bored into a single piece of wood.
  • Musette bressane: found in the Bresse region of eastern France
  • Cornemuse du Centre (or musette du Centre) (bagpipes of Central France) are of many different types, some mouth blown. They can be found in the Bourbonnais, Berry, Nivernais, and Morvan regions of France and in different tonalities.
  • Chabrette poitevine: found in the Poitou region of west-central France, but now extremely rare.
  • Caramusa: a small bagpipe with a single parallel drone, native to Corsica
  • Musette bechonnet, named from its creator, Joseph Bechonnet (1820-1900 AD) of Effiat.
  • Bousine, a small droneless bagpipe played in Normandy. (fr:Bousine)
  • Loure, a Norman bagpipe which gives its name to the French Baroque dance loure.
  • Pipasso, a bagpipe native to Picardy in northern France
  • Sourdeline, an extinct bellows-blown pipe, likely of Italian origin
  • Samponha, a double-chantered pipe played in the Pyrenees
  • Vèze (or vessie, veuze à Poitiers), played in Poitou
Can't all be bad Vinnie surely..

Too much information, too many pipes ;-)

It’s the Scottish ones, especially en masse. I find the tone so abrasive, it just sets my teeth on edge a little. But I have been known to listen to and enjoy the work of Alistair Anderson, Kathryn Tickell and even Alan Stivell stuff featuring the Breton Bombarde (Trinquons Nos Verres from Journee a la Maison is terrific).

Oh I love the mass pipes. I find it very moving and get quite emotional when I hear them.

Accordion music on the other hand. It really gets my back up.

I also fail to get drum and bass and drill and a lot of rap. Although I quite like a bit of Ice T, Bodycount and Casual.

The genre that I really detest though is those modern warbly women that shout around the note without actually ever hitting it.

Oh and Whitney Houston. Can't stand her either.

+1 on the bagpipes, its an instrument designed to evoke fear in the hearts of the enemy, and people listen to it for fun?

Pete

Too much information, too many pipes ;-)

It’s the Scottish ones, especially en masse. I find the tone so abrasive, it just sets my teeth on edge a little. But I have been known to listen to and enjoy the work of Alistair Anderson, Kathryn Tickell and even Alan Stivell stuff featuring the Breton Bombarde (Trinquons Nos Verres from Journee a la Maison is terrific).

You know way more about them than I do then man :)

There is only thing worse than a bagpipe. More than one ...

:) Hehe

I used to work with a guy who played in one of the proper 'musical' pipe bands in Norn iron - the Field Marshall Montgomery Pipe Band. I believe they are up there in terms of being amongst the best around. Despite being from the opposite tradition, I found their performances really musical and listenable. Poles apart from the caterwauling you hear from your typical town bands with most of the dozen or so pipers not only out of tune with each other but with the chanters and drones on individual pipes being out of tune with themselves :(

+1 on the bagpipes, its an instrument designed to evoke fear in the hearts of the enemy, and people listen to it for fun?

Pete

I often walk along Princes Street and the bagpipe players, too close, make me put my fingers into my ears. Awful screeching. But the tourists love it.....:confused:

Rap, hip hop, drum and bass, grime, "modern R&B", all boy bands, all girl bands, most of what passes for "dance", pretty much anything that is played on Steve Wrights "Serious Jockin'", traditional country/country and western, most musicals, thrash/death/doom metal, poodle metal, and I'll probably think of more later.... in fact I heard a genre the other day on R6 which really plumbed the depths of despair and could not be described as music... "drone". Utter shite! One track they played appeared to be the sound of a machine tool running, non stop, for 6 minutes, with someone reading out loud the local paper or some such over it!!

I guess for me it's all in the tune itself.. complicated melodies, interesting chord changes and progressions are where it's at with lyrics some way behind. I guess "the great American songbook" would nicely sum up my view of ultimate quality.

One thing I will never "get" or respect is this modern "thing" where some seem to think a tune/melody is not even needed or can be reduced to 2 chords so long as enough "beats" are thrown in yer face...

Oh and obviously Celine Dion and Whitney Houston should be banned under the Geneva Convention!

What's the most musical sound in the world? Why the sound of bagpipes/banjo hitting a skip of course! (careful there's no musical cretin with a sampler recording it though in order to put it on a 10 minute continuous loop over the sound of a belt sanding machine and feature it on R6's Sunday afternoon output!)

Rap, hip hop, drum and bass, grime, "modern R&B", all boy bands, all girl bands, most of what passes for "dance", pretty much anything that is played on Steve Wrights "Serious Jockin'", traditional country/country and western, most musicals, thrash/death/doom metal, poodle metal, and I'll probably think of more later.... in fact I heard a genre the other day on R6 which really plumbed the depths of despair and could not be described as music... "drone". Utter shite! One track they played appeared to be the sound of a machine tool running, non stop, for 6 minutes, with someone reading out loud the local paper or some such over it!!

I guess for me it's all in the tune itself.. complicated melodies, interesting chord changes and progressions are where it's at with lyrics some way behind. I guess "the great American songbook" would nicely sum up my view of ultimate quality.

One thing I will never "get" or respect is this modern "thing" where some seem to think a tune/melody is not even needed or can be reduced to 2 chords so long as enough "beats" are thrown in yer face...

Oh and obviously Celine Dion and Whitney Houston should be banned under the Geneva Convention!

What's the most musical sound in the world? Why the sound of bagpipes/banjo hitting a skip of course! (careful there's no musical cretin with a sampler recording it though in order to put it on a 10 minute continuous loop over the sound of a belt sanding machine and feature it on R6's Sunday afternoon output!)

Sounds like you'd be best off with yer test tones an' stuff for fiddlin wi yer knobs.

Probably easier to list things you DO like...

Sounds like you'd be best off with yer test tones an' stuff for fiddlin wi yer knobs.

Probably easier to list things you DO like...

Bizarrely there are some who seem to enjoy what sounds to me rather like test tones... with maybe a metal bucket being hit now and then... often at random... Try R6 about 4pm ish on a Sunday....

To humour you, there's a wide range of music I like... or maybe as everything I like shares the qualities of having a melody you could sing, more than 2 chords, usually a defined beginning, middle and end in some way, often key changes, maybe a middle eight, and requires good musicianship then I like a narrow range of music!

I guess some good example of songs that tick all the boxes for me would be "God only knows" by The Beach Boys, "Body and Soul" (Billy Holiday preferably), "Every time we say goodbye" Ella Fitzgerald... When it comes to songwriting quality and craftsmanship these (and similar quality) are the "Faberge eggs" to me. But I may be more in the mood for The Who or Tom Waits (the early stuff obviously!) on a given evening...

However I like stuff from dub reggae to Motorhead encompassing folk, prog, classical, electronica, blues and jazz in between... it all has a tune though!

All manufactured boy bands except the Sex Pistols
+1 for bagpipes
Power ballads, Whitney, Jenifer Rush etc
All crappy novelty acts, Cheeky Girls etc

Apart from that, I see at least some good in almost everything.

advertisement

Back