advertisement

Worst musical genres ever.

That is a very broad brush you are using there.

Opera has about as large a range of styles contained as any other musical genre.

From Handel and Mozart through Beethoven to Verdi, and Puccini and beyond into the moderns like Berg, and the post moderns like Glass!

I find the greater part of opera difficult to take, but I doubt many can be repelled all that much by at least four of Mozart's greatest operas!!!

I'm sure the orchestral element of much opera is wonderful, it's something particular in the combination of exaggerated vocal form and its attempt to convey a narrative that I find unlistenable / ludicrous. Schubert lieder I love, Tallis floats my boat. But opera... and I'll exclude Einstein on the Beach... I just can't do it.

Maybe I'm irked by the disproportionate amount of money it soaks up in arts funding. Maybe my ears just need to 'mature' (I'm only young by PFM standards)... who knows??

This rang a bell with me - I think it might be the Rezillos. The same song as (imagine the Scottish accent) “I can’t stand up...let me sit doan!”

I’m sure I had a copy of it, but it seems to have disappeared from my collection like all my other singles from the 76-80 period. Doubly annoying when the likes of Cilla and Lance Percival are still there.
it is indeed the Rezillos
[

Being a part of the 'mod' youth cult back in the 80s, we used to listen to the 'mod revival' music of the late 70s/early 80s (yes a few years too late), and the original mod music of the 60s like the Who and Small faces. Most of us quickly realised the revival stuff was pap, the worst kind of pap, musicians and song writers so utterly devoid of talent or the merest flicker of intelligence! I cannot listen to it now without grimacing, anyone else care to exercise their musical demons?

What do you make of drum and bass?

ah two more genres that make me puke.
if its a fever maybe they should go see a doctor and get a pill
One wouldn't see too many fans of Latin music requiring pills, the music is about the dance and passion. Complex polyrhythms require years of application and study to play in clave. The rhythms originated in Africa and the various genres can be traced back via slavery. Often forbidden by colonial masters it is a testament to it's power, surviving by word of mouth and feeding into all the forms of black music we hear today which has been such an influence on all forms of popular music.

I can think of so many genres that I disliked in my youth* which I now couldn't live without.

I like Bach, chamber music, early choral, 19 Century romantic, Mahler, Glass, folk, EDM swing, bebop, free jazz, ska, rocksteady, dub, the stooges, Yes and other prog, Beefheart, 'classic' rock' (aside from Led Zep; too self-indulgent for me and Plant's vocals really grate), Joy Division, Dead Kennedys, The Fall, Massive Attack, hip-hop....

For all those who've said "I don't like x, y or z, I can think of tracks I think they should try that might change their minds

However, I just don't get heavy metal. I find it juvenile and lacking in humour, range, invention, depth or subtlety.
I like to keep an open mind and am willing to be persuaded.

Can anyone recommend some heavy metal that might change my mind?

* before age 40

I find the greater part of opera difficult to take, but I doubt many can be repelled all that much by at least four of Mozart's greatest operas!!!

I am repelled by pretty much anything from Mozart, specially his operas. I do love Wagner and Strauss though, so it's not a thing against Opera, it's just against Mozart.

However, I just don't get heavy metal. I find it juvenile and lacking in humour, range, invention, depth or subtlety.
I like to keep an open mind and am willing to be persuaded.

Can anyone recommend some heavy metal that might change my mind?

* before age 40

There's nothing to get it heavy metal, you either love it or hate it. It's such a huge and complex with so many different sub-genres that it's impossible to recommend you anything. It goes from classic new wave of British heavy metal like Iron Maiden, wich is just an evolution of great rock from the 70's like Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple or Queen, or Doom metal like Black Sabbath, all the way to extreme black metal, death metal, grind core, thrash etc etc

Death metal was created to give complex musical construction like jazz, without chorus and repetition. Listen to Death's remarkable Sound of Perserverance or any album from Atheist to see what I mean.

Even inside each genre you have all ramifications that it becomes silly how much categorization you can do in music. And most of the musicians are remarkable technically and musically. Most of great composers would be in an heavy metal band if they were born today, likewise, most of Prog rock groups would be if there was heavy metal back then.

You even have Prog metal wich is just an extreme form of fusion to see how great can a musician be technically.

Try listening to something like Animals as Leaders and see if you find it juvenile and lacking in range, invention, depth or subtlety. You probably won't like it, probably can't even go through it's complexity, but you can't say any of those things.

There's nothing to get it heavy metal, you either love it or hate it. It's such a huge and complex with so many different sub-genres that it's impossible to recommend you anything. It goes from classic new wave of British heavy metal like Iron Maiden, wich is just an evolution of great rock from the 70's like Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple or Queen, or Doom metal like Black Sabbath, all the way to extreme black metal, death metal, grind core, thrash etc etc

Death metal was created to give complex musical construction like jazz, without chorus and repetition. Listen to Death's remarkable Sound of Perserverance or any album from Atheist to see what I mean.

Even inside each genre you have all ramifications that it becomes silly how much categorization you can do in music. And most of the musicians are remarkable technically and musically. Most of great composers would be in an heavy metal band if they were born today, likewise, most of Prog rock groups would be if there was heavy metal back then.

You even have Prog metal wich is just an extreme form of fusion to see how great can a musician be technically.

Try listening to something like Animals as Leaders and see if you find it juvenile and lacking in range, invention, depth or subtlety. You probably won't like it, probably can't even go through it's complexity, but you can't say any of those things.
Cheers for that. I know some of the iron maiden from the charts from about 1980. I will give Atheist and Sounds of Perseverance a spin on Spotify tonight.
I didn't used to get 'jazz' at all but eventually found a way in via Mingus. I think like listening to a foreign language, it is incomprehensible at first but perseverance pays off and you start to understand what you're listening to and then appreciate it.

Last edited:
I meant to add, I'm sure my comments about it being juveile, lacking depth etc., reflect my ignorance and reaction to my narrow exposure

Death metal was created to give complex musical construction like jazz

I guess I know what you're getting at.. but as a teenager in 1989/1990 obsessed with Death, Autopsy, Obituary, Repulsion, Master, Nihilist etc it wasn't about the 'complex musical construction'. I think that came a bit later (and tbh it's where I lost interest a bit!)

advertisement

Back